Visual Novel - Umineko no Naku Koro ni | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Visual Novel Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Title: Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Length: > 50 hours
Producer: 07th Expansion
Original Plot by: Ryukishi07
Released: 2007-2008
Prequel/Sequel: Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru (Sequel)

Synopsis:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni takes place in the year 1986 during the time frame of October 4 and October 5 on a secluded island named Rokkenjima (六軒島). The head of a wealthy family named Kinzō Ushiromiya, who lives on and owns Rokkenjima, is near death, and eleven of his family members arrive on the island to discuss how Kinzō's assets will be divided once he is dead. Also on the island are five of Kinzō's servants, and his personal physician. After the eleven family members arrive, a typhoon traps them on the island and shortly after people start to get mysteriously murdered.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hard being a fan of this and sharing different opinions than other readers.
Yeah, I admit, I don't believe in the "Official" Solution.

For me it's Rosa and Yasu being nothing more then a Allegory for her, just how it is in the Divine Comedy which Umineko is based upon.
Entirety of the Story = Allegory.

Zeltrax

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
One of the best visual novels I had the chance to stumble upon and finish reading. In all honestly, the pacing messes up sometimes and it becomes a drag at times but I always keep coming back because Umineko introduced me to the world of mystery.

The official solution refers to the Yasu one if I'm not wrong right?
Uh-huh, I'm pretty sure Rosa plays a significant role in the entire mystery aspect of Umineko.

For me it's Rosa and Yasu being nothing more then a Allegory for her, just how it is in the Divine Comedy which Umineko is based upon.
Entirety of the Story = Allegory.
Do you mind expanding on this? Don't really get it.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Let's take EP 3 for example.
After being scolded by her mother, Rosa while crying ran into the Forest of Rokkenjima but got lost.
Within that Forest she met Beatrice, the person that Rosa wanted to be saved by.Not from, she wanted Beatrice to save her.
Shortly later, Rosa frees Kuwadorian Beatrice, but she falls to her death on the cliff.
I note, that during this time, Rosa believed there actually exists a Witch in the forest.

We are told in EP7 I think it was, that Yasu suffered a major injury from fbeing pushed down the Cliff as a baby.
In the same year, that Rosa first came into contact with Beatrice, her Savior, the same Beatrice died, while a baby that was born the very same year, also fell down the Cliff and sustained a major injury.

In EP 4, we are told by Ange that Evatrice, is infact the Black Witch and explains what the Black Witch is.
A Chain of Pain and suffering.
Eva can't handle the pain she suffers from Krauss and Kinzo and left it out on Rosa, even to this day.
And Rosa dishes out how she suffers from Eva onto Maria.
In EP 3, Rosa is killed over and over and over by the Black Witch.
Thing is, Evatrice does something very interesting.
She turns Rosa into a Butterfly.I don't have to point out that Butterflies are Beatrice's motive.
And not only that, she traps Rosa into a Spider Web and lets a Spider loose on her while making an interesting comment.
"Spiders kill their prey from within".

Now add it together.
Rosa was lost in a forest in which she found Beatrice.
Kuwadorian Beatrice died in 1967 by a Cliff fall .The one Rosa regarded as her Savior.
In 1967, Yasu fell down the Cliff and obtained an injury.
The personification of suffering from others kills Rosa turned into a Butterfly,Beatrices motive from within.

They can be seen as Allegories.
Rosa got lost in the forest = She was confused and anguished over life.
Within that forest, she found Beatrice her Savior = Within her lives troubles, she found salvation within Beatrice/Magic (Which she believed in at that time).
Beatrice died by a Cliff Fall = Rosa ceased to believe in Beatrice.
Yasu obtaining an injury the same year, the same way = Rosa suffers from no longer believing.It's what Kumsasawa said in EP1.Maria can see Magic cause she's young, Imagination is stronger when we are younger.When we are very young, we believe our plushies have lives and protect us from Evil Monsters.
It's called growing up and realizing what they truly are.
Rosa is killed from within = Refers to the death of Beatrice/Her Savior.

What I mean by the Divine Comedy before?Examples:
A certain Dante gets lost in the forest.
A certain Dante regards Beatrice as his Savior.
A certain Dante regards Beatrice to exist only within his mind.
We even have Virgilia while the Divine Comedy has Virgil who guides Dante.
The Sisters/Stakes of Purgatory's ages correspond with the layers of Mt. Purgatorio.
St. Bernard is represented with Clair.
Beatrice and all the other lovely beings of Heaven, do you know where they House?Within a Rose.Remind you of anything?
Like, Maria and her obsession of curing the Rose in the Garden?The only Rose there that is unhealthy?
And that brings me to the end of the circle of Rosa being killed from within and Yasu being injured.