Discussion - Underrated J/K Pop Artists? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Underrated J/K Pop Artists?

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's plenty of infamous Artists that gain a lot of recognition (world-wide) but what about those who are really talented and gifted in singing/performing but fail to reach the heights that one would expect them to naturally obtain/reach? :O

Have you ever come across a band/group/singer/musician that you feel deserves more recognition, fan support and love? xD Their music may be the best you've ever heard in a long time but why aren't there more people listening to them?

Share your thoughts and discuss them with us in this thread! :cheerbunny

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Most underrated J/K Pop Artists???

This is my chance to promote! *ahem* I'm a fan of 80kidz: it's an electronic indie duo that remixes other artists and makes (mostly) instrumental songs. They have several upbeat songs that gets you in the mood to dance, work-out or wake you up on your morning commute to school/work. :)

My favourite songs by them are:
-- Go Mynci
-- Miss Mars
-- Life Begins at Eighty
-- Remix of MGMT's Kids

Here is their lastfm profile. They don't have a Wikipedia page. D:

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Erza Scarlet

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Last year I knew a k-pop boyband called U-kiss, and I really like them because their style is so cool, they are so handsome and talented, and I don't understand why they are underrated, their dancing skills are good, and they really can sing and dance at the same time, actually their voices are better on live and they aren't like other boybands that can't sing well on live due the lack of oxigen. But they haven't won any award and it's so unfair D:

these are my favourites songs:

Tick Tack (first japanese single)
Neverland
Forbidden love
DoraDora
Shut up

Iceiphoenix

Hunter x Queen
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
J-Min. Fo' sure. She sang the first opening of the K-Drama "To The Beautiful You". She's an artist under SM Entertainment, the same company that houses K-pop giants such as Super Junior, TVXQ, BoA, Girls' Generation, SHINee, f(x) and EXO. SMEnt always give their new artists such extravagant debuts, but I just feel that she was kinda swept under the rug. She's really talented, yet her debut didn't really make much of an impact and then she started to promote in Japan instead of building a strong presence in Korea first. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I finally have someone to mentioned here.

For me, at this point, it's definitely 4MEN. They are an old R&B ballad Korean boy group, debuted back in 1998 but still survived until now despite changing members many times. 4MEN doesn't have 4 members now like the name, though. There's only 3, but all 3 are brilliant singers. They have this unique voice, power, emotion, arrangement, everything... They releases albums, singles, even soundtracks under the group name or as a solo singer. That quality... and this kind of music you don't get to see so often because the popular boy/girlbands and high-beat songs... 4MEN is just too awesome. <3

I posted their latest song at the Current Favorite K-Song, a ballad titled "Propose Song". My other favorite songs are "Can I Love Again" feat Davichi, "Like Snow" feat Ben (Bebe Mignon), "Thank You", soundtracks for K-drama 'Bad Guy' and 'Faith'. *__*

This is a YouTube channel containing some of their songs >> http://www.youtube.com/user/Voice0f4Men

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently discovered Aimer through the Zankyou no Terror ED. I was drawn to her voice in Dareka, Umi wo. and listened to her other songs on Youtube. They were also good, but unfortunately it doesn't seem as if she's that well known in Japan. It's a shame because she's quite talented and would provide a breath of fresh air to the stagnant J-Pop scene. It also helps that the way she sings and the type of songs she has would appeal to the West.

Hopefully Zankyou no Terror would introduce other people to her as well. She still seems fairly new so there will probably be more opportunities for her to promote herself.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hong Jin-young is quite underrated, in my opinion. She is a trot singer and labeled as the "Queen of Trot", but not many people know of her. Here is one of her songs that I really like:

The lyrics are pretty meaningful. It's about how life can be tough and painful, but you should never give up and always be happy.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hong Jin-young is quite underrated, in my opinion. She is a trot singer and labeled as the "Queen of Trot", but not many people know of her. Here is one of her songs that I really like:

The lyrics are pretty meaningful. It's about how life can be tough and painful, but you should never give up and always be happy.
Hong JinYoung is an artist I can really appreciate. Recently watched Unnies Slam Dunk (second season) which stars Hong JinYoung and wow! What an amazing singer and such a nice person. In the show she explained how she had a very hard time as a K-pop trainnee before she debuted with her trotstyled music. Glad she didn't give up

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hong JinYoung is an artist I can really appreciate. Recently watched Unnies Slam Dunk (second season) which stars Hong JinYoung and wow! What an amazing singer and such a nice person. In the show she explained how she had a very hard time as a K-pop trainnee before she debuted with her trotstyled music. Glad she didn't give up
Oh, I've heard of that TV show. But I've never watched it. I've only seen clips of Jinyoung here and there on other variety shows. And yeah, I agree Hong Jin-young is a pretty good singer even though I'm not the biggest fan of trot music.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Debuting in a year as EXO, having tall, talented, funny members, I think VIXX is underrated. One of their best performances:

It's really good that South Korea's president invited them to IOC.