Webtoon - unOrdinary by uru-chan | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Webtoon unOrdinary by uru-chan

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yikes. John is really acting like a demented idiot right now.
At this point, I actually hardly believe this is a writing mistake. There must be some big catalyst coming up really soon. If not, then this might get into the point of no return territory. There is a big difference between artful and damaging...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, at least we're finally getting somewhere now.

The question is who gets there first. It should be Arlo since he learned of it sooner. We better not get a moment where Arlo saves Sera and then John charges in with his dumbass bag on his head and there is just an awkward pause.

Also not really sure what the ex-newspaper club girl is trying to do. Nothing good, I'm sure.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well, at least we're finally getting somewhere now.

The question is who gets there first. It should be Arlo since he learned of it sooner. We better not get a moment where Arlo saves Sera and then John charges in with his dumbass bag on his head and there is just an awkward pause.

Also not really sure what the ex-newspaper club girl is trying to do. Nothing good, I'm sure.
I think it's obvious. Clear as day. She'll use John to slingshot herself into the top ranks again. And I think it's deliberately suppsoed to make us unsure as to who got there first, but I really want to avoid the scenario that you pointed out. God that'd be hard to read...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's obvious. Clear as day. She'll use John to slingshot herself into the top ranks again. And I think it's deliberately suppsoed to make us unsure as to who got there first, but I really want to avoid the scenario that you pointed out. God that'd be hard to read...
There are not a lot of good outcomes to this situation.:darn

What's the best case scenario here? John arrives to find that Seraphina has already been saved and is consumed with regret and decides to change himself? The worst case has got to be John getting tricked by the ex-newspaper girl and convinced Arlo kidnapped Sera and attacks him? That's would be rough.

EmberSpirit

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
There are not a lot of good outcomes to this situation.:darn

What's the best case scenario here? John arrives to find that Seraphina has already been saved and is consumed with regret and decides to change himself? The worst case has got to be John getting tricked by the ex-newspaper girl and convinced Arlo kidnapped Sera and attacks him? That's would be rough.
That would backfire really badly if she makes up a lie like it.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The very definition of an "oh shit" moment :lmao

Sera isn't even there anymore. Will he really go all out and murk these mid tiers? I'd find it more likely that he would turn on Cecile, thinking that she had lied to him.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The very definition of an "oh shit" moment :lmao

Sera isn't even there anymore. Will he really go all out and murk these mid tiers? I'd find it more likely that he would turn on Cecile, thinking that she had lied to him.
Either way, I feel like I'm cool with that.

Lets be honest here, do any of these people deserve to live? Because I feel like the answer is "no". Even in this show's dystopian version of highschool life these "people", and I'm using that term loosely here, are self-obsessed sociopaths. Even if they get kicked out of the school it doesn't really change anything. They are unrepentant scumbags whose only regret is that they aren't the strongest scumbags.

I mean, Johnny's mental state worries me a bit because the paperbag thing is just plain weird. But he could go full on Frank Castle with all of them and I'd find that pretty understandable. It's just karma at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hmmm...

On the one hand John is still acting like a moron. On the other though he did beat those psycho kids half to death. Assuming none of them entirely dead. Which does not seem like an entirely safe assumption. The girl whose skull he smashed into the floor in particular. I feel like she's hurt real bad.

So, I'm willing to give him a little slack with this on account that they did all deserve it. But I hope he does something constructive in the near future.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Either way, I feel like I'm cool with that.

Lets be honest here, do any of these people deserve to live? Because I feel like the answer is "no". Even in this show's dystopian version of highschool life these "people", and I'm using that term loosely here, are self-obsessed sociopaths. Even if they get kicked out of the school it doesn't really change anything. They are unrepentant scumbags whose only regret is that they aren't the strongest scumbags.

I mean, Johnny's mental state worries me a bit because the paperbag thing is just plain weird. But he could go full on Frank Castle with all of them and I'd find that pretty understandable. It's just karma at this point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hmmm...

On the one hand John is still acting like a moron. On the other though he did beat those psycho kids half to death. Assuming none of them entirely dead. Which does not seem like an entirely safe assumption. The girl whose skull he smashed into the floor in particular. I feel like she's hurt real bad.

So, I'm willing to give him a little slack with this on account that they did all deserve it. But I hope he does something constructive in the near future.
I hope we get a proper development arc where John needs to finally confront his colossal flaws. When it comes to anything involving Seraphina he losses his shit entirely.

I have to say though, that panel at the end was so badass.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting resolution to this arc.

I mean, John isn't wrong. The elitist system IS the core cause. Still can't quite fit him putting a bag over his head and going all rampage mode into that methodology though.

Arlo isn't wrong that John isn't helping solve problems. But by his own logic he has no right to dictate John's actions. If "might makes right" then his number one priority should have been the order John gave to him and he didn't.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Interesting resolution to this arc.

I mean, John isn't wrong. The elitist system IS the core cause. Still can't quite fit him putting a bag over his head and going all rampage mode into that methodology though.

Arlo isn't wrong that John isn't helping solve problems. But by his own logic he has no right to dictate John's actions. If "might makes right" then his number one priority should have been the order John gave to him and he didn't.
It was the best temporary resolution that wasn't actually a resolution. We readers know that both of them are wrong in what they do. Glad to see uru acknowledging that herself.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
She had me worried there for a while but this chapter made me feel like there is a plan in here somewhere.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
This manhwa.. I just wish it would stop with the crazy psycho mask stuff.

Like I don't really even understand where the story is trying to go at this point.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am just disappointed. I thought this webtoon had some potential with its setting at start. New chapters doesn't add anything meaningful to the story. It's not going anywhere with this awful pacing. Badly written teenage drama is the only way I can describe what's left of this shitshow. I don't see how it can be fixed anymore.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting to get interesting again now. Arlo seems to have realized this is pretty much all his fault and that John basically warned him repeatedly what would happen.

Curious how this is going to get resolved. Arlo reasoning with John seems unlikely. I wonder if he's going to have to come clean to the others and Seraphine about what he did and what John can do. That might be his only move if this fails.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What? Actual character development here. I don't know how John's whiny temper tantrum is Arlo's fault though. John's character is pretty much assassinated into an unsalvagable garbage at this point. Still not convinced about this drama shit going on. It makes the remaining sane side characters more interesting which is not a bad thing, but mc is shit tier. Blaming it on being treated badly isn't an excuse.

Hopefully they can use their brains and talk it out next chapter. We can forget this unnecessary teenage drama ever happened and move on to actually important story points. That's expecting too much from my part. I'm sure the author is yet to show us how awful this arc can get.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
What? Actual character development here. I don't know how John's whiny temper tantrum is Arlo's fault though. John's character is pretty much assassinated into an unsalvagable garbage at this point. Still not convinced about this drama shit going on. It makes the remaining sane side characters more interesting which is not a bad thing, but mc is shit tier. Blaming it on being treated badly isn't an excuse.

Hopefully they can use their brains and talk it out next chapter. We can forget this unnecessary teenage drama ever happened and move on to actually important story points. That's expecting too much from my part. I'm sure the author is yet to show us how awful this arc can get.
I wouldn't say I'm convinced that going this far into the drama side of things was a good move either but I do kind of see what the story was going for more now than I did.

If I'm reading this right John isn't actually throwing a temper tantrum at all. What he's doing is deliberating sowing fear. Dominating the school by systematically going through and beating everybody strong so they'll all fear him.

And this is absolutely Arlo's fault. John was hiding everything and didn't want to be a part of the power structure. Arlo convinced him he was his friend then lured him out threw him to the wolves in order to expose him and force him to step into, what Arlo believed was, his proper place. Only now Arlo is realizing that John was right to avoid being part of the power structure. All he did was awaken all the worst aspects that John had been trying to put behind him.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't say I'm convinced that going this far into the drama side of things was a good move either but I do kind of see what the story was going for more now than I did.
I see what they tried to do with John too, it's just not well executed and destroys whatever traits he had at the start.

If I'm reading this right John isn't actually throwing a temper tantrum at all. What he's doing is deliberating sowing fear. Dominating the school by systematically going through and beating everybody strong so they'll all fear him.
My biggest issue with that is the way he acts.

And this is absolutely Arlo's fault. John was hiding everything and didn't want to be a part of the power structure. Arlo convinced him he was his friend then lured him out threw him to the wolves in order to expose him and force him to step into, what Arlo believed was, his proper place. Only now Arlo is realizing that John was right to avoid being part of the power structure. All he did was awaken all the worst aspects that John had been trying to put behind him.
Arlo is at fault for his own actions. He wasn't a reasonable character during the first half, no denying that. But it isn't really his fault that John had such a bad personality disguised under what he was showing others. That's still all John.

SnuggleCupcake

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I would say that he's absolutely a physically abusive person and his loss of control is coming out in sporadic and explosive abuse. He's even turning on Seraphina the moment he feels like she's no longer under his control eg once she calls him out on lying to her he gets upset that she won't believe his lie. It's a very common tantrum of abusive and manipulative people. I don't think there is a redemption arc left for John that doesn't start with therapy (if he makes Seraphina do the emotional labor for him for the sake of romance I will be so upset!)

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Have you kept up with this series @Jammin ? I'm interested to know your thoughts on recent developments.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not. Got sort of fed up with John's bizzare mood swings. Should I pick it up again?