Question - Unsolved Mysteries of Egghead | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Unsolved Mysteries of Egghead

Will there be a flashback about the "void evening"?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Writing this partly to help me keep track of unanswered questions about this arc, but I'd also love to get people's feedback. (Replies welcome, except please don't talk unreleased chapter spoilers. I don't mind if someone lets me know if a new chapter might answer some of these questions - but I don't want to know which ones.)

Egghead arc has had so much going on, and it focuses the reader forward on the goal of escaping the island regularly enough that it's easy to miss some unusual details. Recent anime episodes over the last month or two reminded me of some oddities that are just weird on their own and could potentially be setup for something later (or not!), like (1) Dr. Vegapunk using "Quasar!" at the end of his sentences for a while and then suddenly not doing it anymore (and not doing it at all in the flashback)*, (2) the fact he was able to warp around, and (3) Atlas' insistence not to assume anything is/isn't there, early on.

Yes all of that could be nothing, but I can't help but think it's weird a character who has been anticipated for so long would have a major speech inconsistency and unfortunate missed opportunities surrounding him.

Then there's the (4) weirdness around Vegapunk's death. Sanji is pretending he could still be alive even as his body should be turning cold. On the map of the island, we even get a Vegapunk icon with comical Xes in place of his eyes. If he's dead, should it not be rather tragic in tone, right from the start (even if satellites survive)? I can't say if it's an illusion or a secret extra satellite that we saw die, but at the very least it seems we're not meant to take that death seriously for some reason.

Some questions regarding the "Void Evening" (while Bonney was in the memory bubble) from within an interesting video I saw last week (paraphrased for context/clarity):
- How did Robin and Kaku get so seriously injured?
- How were the Seraphim contained?
(i.e. who used the bubble gun, under what circumstances)
- Who subdued York?
- What was everyone else doing that evening?
(Blackbeard's ship was already shown just off the coast by that point)
- How did Usopp get noticeable facial injuries?

The vid attempts to answer these questions, by giving the simplest possible explanations (except for what might have been up with the Blackbeard Pirates, I think?) but I feel like there's got to be more to it. I'd like to think if the off-screened fighting was severe enough to leave two people incapacitated and one person noticeably more injured than before, we're owed a flashback at some point to show wtf happened.

I wanted to check these chapters over the past weeks, but I doubt this will all be answered in the next chapter anyway. So I'll probably do a reread of the arc soon to see if I can find some answers myself.

Anyone else think we might be owed a flashback about the so-called "void evening," or an explanation about those early oddities with Vegapunk? Any other thoughts?

*edit: According to Dawn & Dusk, the "Quasar" thing is just a sentence ending specifically for questions (i.e. in place of か ). requests (i.e. in place of くれ or くれませんか ).

Last edited:

Vanshrimp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
it has become e habit to leave so many crucial details unclear...

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
it has become e habit to leave so many crucial details unclear...
Has there ever been this much that just gets dropped for a whole arc and never returned to? At least to me it feels like we're being misdirected, like when Komurasaki "died" and then turned up again later as Hiyori.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

We need Egghead to have either its final escape sequence or Vegapunk's message concluded (or least well-underway) before a flashback like this hypothetically happens, but I was reminded of another idea of what could be hidden in the "void evening" by someone's comment in the Chapter 1112 Discussion thread:

If it turns out there's a twist and all of this was a trap Vegapunk is setting for the Gorousei, then they could also have been planning what York should do right before she picked up the phone call from the Gorousei. (Right now I still think she's a traitor, but it's a possibility.)