Publisher - US Manga Industry and Publisher News Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Publisher US Manga Industry and Publisher News Thread

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm creating this thread to consolidate information on the U.S. manga industry. Any posts post regarding publisher news, licensing agreements, upcoming titles, and new releases will be welcome in this thread. The New York Times Manga Bestseller list will also be posted weekly.

Unlike the Oricon, the New York Times does not track or release sales data. Neilsons is the American equivalent of Oricon, unlike Oricon they do not make data available to the public. The New York Times collects data from venders in order to build their book charts. They do not release any data they have, only providing an ordered list. These charts do give a good idea of what Americans are reading, even if they do not give as clear a picture as the Oricon charts.

List of Major American Manga Publishers
  • VIZ: Jointly owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan, also license a considerable number of Hakusensha titles. Includes special line of books for Shounen Jump (including Weekly Jump, SQ, and V Jump), Shounen Sunday, and IKKI.
  • Kodansha USA: Began operation in 2010, owned and operated by Kodansha.
  • Vertical: Specializes in seinen and manga classics. Now owned by Kodansha.
  • Yen Press: Self proclaimed "otaku" publishing company. Works closely with Square/Enix, Kadokawa Shoten, and Akita Shoten. Yen Press publishes a considerable number of Manhwa, Manhua, OEL, and Light Novels in addition to Manga.
  • Seven Seas Entertainment: Largely concentrates on moe, bishoujo, and other otaku friendly titles. Also publishes a considerable number of OEL titles.
    Dark Horse: American comic book publisher, also publishes some popular manga titles.
  • Last Gasp, Top Shelf, Drawn and Quarterly: All three publish alternative manga and gekiga that compliment there primary focus: underground, English language graphic novels.
  • Ponent Mon: Publish la nouvelle manga in English and French.
Tokyopop no longer publishes manga in North America. In 2009 Kodansha allowed it's licensing agreements with Tokyopop and Del Ray to lapse. Del Ray no longer publishes any Kodansha titles, all previous releases are out of print. Many are being reissued by Kodansha USA.

New York Times bestsellers, week ending December 17:
  1. 20th Century Boys #18 (VIZ)
  2. Naruto #53 (VIZ)
  3. Princess Knight (Ribbon no Kishi) #2 (Vertical)
  4. Maximum Ride #5 (Original English Language) (Yen Press)
  5. K-On! #4 (Yen Press)
  6. Higurashi: When They Cry - Atonement Arc #2 (Yen Press)
  7. Vampire Cheerleaders #2 (Original English Language) (Seven Seas Entertainment)
  8. Arata: the Legend (Arata Kangatari) #8 (VIZ)
  9. Blood Alone #5 (Seven Seas Entertainment)
  10. House of Five Leaves #5 (VIZ)

Last edited:

gananime

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
List of Major American Manga Publishers
  • VIZ: Jointly owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan, also license a considerable number of Hakusensha titles. Includes special line of books for Shounen Jump (including Weekly Jump, SQ, and V Jump), Shounen Sunday, and IKKI.
  • Kodansha USA: Began operation in 2010, owned and operated by Kodansha.
  • Vertical: Specializes in seinen and manga classics. Now owned by Kodansha.
  • Yen Press: Self proclaimed "otaku" publishing company. Works closely with Square/Enix, Kadokawa Shoten, and Akita Shoten. Yen Press publishes a considerable number of Manhwa, Manhua, OEL, and Light Novels in addition to Manga.
  • Seven Seas Entertainment: Largely concentrates on moe, bishoujo, and other otaku friendly titles. Also publishes a considerable number of OEL titles.
  • Last Gasp, Top Shelf, Drawn and Quarterly: All three publish alternative manga and gekiga that compliment there primary focus: underground, English language graphic novels.
  • Ponent Mon: Publish la nouvelle manga in English and French.
Tokyopop no longer publishes manga in North America. In 2009 Kodansha allowed it's licensing agreements with Tokyopop and Del Ray to lapse. Del Ray no longer publishes any Kodansha titles, all previous releases are out of print. Many are being reissued by Kodansha USA.
You forgot to mention 'Dark Horse Comics' which publish Berserk and Gantz

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Does Dark Horse really put out enough manga to be considered a major manga publisher? The publish a considerably larger amount of American comics than they do manga. I honestly have no idea if they are licensing several new manga titles often or if they are just licensing a few here and there.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I did forget dark horse. I'm not sure how to describe their line up, exactly though.

Does Dark Horse really put out enough manga to be considered a major manga publisher? The publish a considerably larger amount of American comics than they do manga. I honestly have no idea if they are licensing several new manga titles often or if they are just licensing a few here and there.
They are more of a comic book company but they were one of the first American publishers to license manga and have some licensed some very significant titles: Berserk, Gantz, Blade of the Immortal, Ah My Goddess. They also have reissued most of CLAMPS catalog. They do not license as much as the other companies, but what they do license is usually of significance.

---------- Post added December 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was December 24, 2011 at 03:38 AM ----------

New York Times Bestsellers, December 18 - 24
  1. Fullmetal Alchemist #27 (VIZ)
  2. Naruto #53 (VIZ)
  3. xxxholic #18 (Kodansha Comics)
  4. Tenjo Tenge: Full Contact Edition #4 (VIZ)
  5. Maximum Ride #5 (Original English Language) (Yen Press)
  6. Sailor Moon (Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon) #2 (Kodansha Comics)
  7. Mardock Scramble #3 (Kodansha Comics)
  8. Dorohedoro #5 (VIZ)
  9. Drops of God (Kami no Shizuku) #2 (Vertical)
  10. One Piece #59 (VIZ)

The VIZ reissues of Tenjo Tenge contains two Japanese volume per book. As with all VIZ Signature they are wideban, not tankobon editions. From what I understand it is common practice in Japan to release new seinen as larger size wideban editions. Previous American editions of Tenjo Tenge were heavily censored and released by now defunct DC Comics subsidiary CMX.

Kodansha Comics reissues of Sailor Moon are also special editions including new covers and new translations, but in standard tankobon dimensions. The special editions have been condensed into twelve longer volumes, rather than the original 18 volumes.

---------- Post added January 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was December 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM ----------

New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 1-7
  1. Naruto #54 (VIZ)
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX #8 (VIZ)
  3. One Piece #60 (VIZ)
  4. Rosario + Vampire Season II #7 (VIZ)
  5. Black Bird #12 (VIZ)
  6. Skip Beat! Vol. 26 (VIZ)
  7. Naruto #53 (VIZ)
  8. Maximum Ride #5 (OEL)(Yen Press)
  9. Fullmetal Alchemist #27 (VIZ)
  10. Dengeki Daisy #8 (VIZ)
Almost a clean sleep for VIZ :/ At least plenty of shoujo charted this week.

ICv2 Top 300 Graphic Novels, December 2011

I will start linking to this every month when it comes out. The list includes all graphic novels, not just manga. This should give a better estimate of how popular individual titles are in the state. These are not accurate estimates of total sales and should not be treated as such. They are based on a single distributor: Diamond Publishing who sell exclusively to comic book and specialty stores. They do not sell to big box retailers or book stores. These figures exclude copies shipped to Walmart, Barnes and Nobles, Amazon, etc. Comic book stores tend to stock more American graphic novels than manga, tilting the charts in their favor. Book stores such as Barnes and Nobles tend to stock more manga than American graphic novels. While these charts should not be treated like the Oricon they do give a good idea of what is popular and a rough hierarchy of what is most popular with Americans.

Last edited:

TXC

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The week before was almost only kodansha, this one viz... happy to see Skip Beat! doing well.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
VIZ confirms that they have licensed Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Volume 1 goes on sale June 5, 2012.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-18/viz-media-licenses-yu-gi-oh-zexal-manga

---------- Post added February 07, 2012 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was January 18, 2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

Kodansha USA licensed Genshiken: Nidaime. Volume 1 will be released on September 4.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-usa-to-publish-genshiken/second-season-manga

---------- Post added February 24, 2012 at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was February 07, 2012 at 12:16 AM ----------

New licensing announcement from Vertical:Vertical will also release a Queen's Blade art book and Gray Men a novel by Tomotake Ishikawa

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Is limit any good?

they should pick up Oyasumi Punpun...

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Haven't read it.

They can't. Vertical is owned by Kodansha, Punpun is published by Shogakukan. If Punpun is ever licensed it will be by VIZ.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Licensing announcements from Sakura Con:

Yen Press:Thermae Romae will be released in hardcover omnibus editions, two to a volume. "Mori Kaoru Shuuishuu: Anything and Something" collects eight short stories by Emma/Otoyomegatari mangaka Mor Kaoru. It will also be released in hardcover.

Dark Horse:"Emerald and Other Stories" collects seven short stores by Blade of the Immortal mangaka Samura Hiroaki.

VIZ announced that they have licensed the Berserk film trilogy. They did not reveal any newly licensed manga at their panel.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm definitely going to be checking out Emerald and other Stories, as well as Mori Kaoru's Anything and Something. Also, Yen Press licensing another Mori Kaoru manga has me praying that they will acquire the Emma license and give it a reprint. Otoyomegatari may not be a blockbuster for them, but it has brought them some critical acclaim(Eisner nomination and YASLA list). Volume 3 did just make the NYTBSL though. I'm thinking they have taken a liking to her work. License saving/reprints are starting to become more common too. Especially with Tokyopop closing shop. I think I just saw that Paradise Kiss was picked up by Vertical, and that was printed in it's entirety by Tokyopop. I think Kodansha USA has been reprinting a few series too. I would LOVE to get my hands on some Emma omnibuses.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading Blood Lad raw, and have found myself enjoying it. I think I'll be making that purchase when it comes to the states....I just wonder whatever happened to the anime plans for the series...?

wintercry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading Blood Lad raw, and have found myself enjoying it. I think I'll be making that purchase when it comes to the states....I just wonder whatever happened to the anime plans for the series...?
Some speculate it to air in Summer. Though I can't seem to find any solid confirmation regarding that.

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I will get Blood Lad as well.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I'm only really stoked for the Berserk movies....but stoked I am!

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm looking forward to the Berserk movies, Thermae Romae, and Mori Kauru one shot collection.

---------- Post added April 22, 2012 at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was April 08, 2012 at 04:21 PM ----------

VIZ:
---------- Post added April 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was April 22, 2012 at 05:48 PM ----------

Kodansha USA:Last year Battle Angel Alita creator acrimoniously split from Shueisha, moving Battle Angel Alita: Last Order to Kodansha's Evening magazine. I am not sure whether Kodansha will reissue the entire series, or hold the license for the volumes released under the Evening KC imprint only.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'll definitely be buying 'Danza' after being impressed by 'not simple' and 'House of Five Leaves'.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
If you enjoyed Not Simple and House of Five Leaves be sure to read Ristorante Paradiso. That is actually my favorite Ono Natsume manga.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Drawn & Quarterly has licensed Mizuki Shigeru's shounen classic Gegege no Kitaro, with volume one tentatively scheduled for February 13, 2013.

Anime News Network

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Drawn & Quarterly has licensed Mizuki Shigeru's shounen classic Gegege no Kitaro, with volume one tentatively scheduled for February 13, 2013.

Anime News Network
Huh. I really enjoyed Toei's 'Hakaba Kitaro', though I've heard this is vastly different. Either way, if it's a classic I should keep my eye out on it.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've only ever read the few chapters Happy Scans released, all of which I enjoyed. I'm curious if they will treat Hakaba as part of Gegege and begin there.

---------- Post added June 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was June 07, 2012 at 12:20 AM ----------

Vertical has licensed Nihei's Knight's of Sidonia, with a tentative drop date of February 5, 2013. Ed Chavez has been talking about licensing a new, sci-fi series for months, on Twitter. I came so close to guessing it https://twitter.com/Kaiten1978/status/190652442113871874

source
Amazon