Character - USA - Japan Team Parallels | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So after learning the names of the remaining ones, I was looking at this image of the US reps again:

And while doing that, I was thinking to myself "Man, this Jackson dude is pretty tall. I wonder if he's taller than Ochi (probably not, but that's not the point). He also has a pretty calm expression. Doesn't look like he's lacking power though." I moved on to some of the others afterwards, basically did the same thing there, and finally made the connection that Konomi has shown us exactly 10 American reps as the core of their team while we also have the Genius 10.

Long story short, I wonder if there are parallels for all ten characters between the two teams. These may either be the function they have on the respective teams or actually carry over to their playstyles, and I'd like to present some thoughts on all ten. So let's get started right away:

Tsukimutsu Ochi - Geisel Jackson
Starting with these two since I essentially already went over them in the introduction. I want to note at this point, however, that while the top 5 will be more function focused, the bottom 5 don't really have a function themselves, so I believe their playstyles will be rather close to each other in the specific sense of the US reps having similar strengths to the Japanese ones, but without the same weaknesses, i.e. they're superior versions in most cases.

Ochi's main weapons are his high mental fortitude and his big serve, so Jackson will have those as well. Ochi is lacking on the physical side though, needing to improve both his Power and Stamina, so I think Jackson won't have those same weaknesses. Instead he will have a big power serve while retaining enough speed to return Mach and the mental strength to not fall prey to the mental assassination. Tentatively I'd give him the following stats:

Speed: 5, Power: 6, Stamina: 5, Mental: 7, Technique: 4

Juusaburou Mouri - Rocky Meredith
Don't have much to say about these two. Meredith is probably a bit weaker than the other reps, just like how Mouri is a bit below the rest of the G10. I think he'll be an All-Rounder with slightly lower Technique than Mouri, but he will retain Mouri's strong will and fix the most glaring weakness Mouri has:

He is too lacking in power to actively play in singles.
Just by looking at him, you can see that Meredith is not only not lacking power, he has some to spare. Not sure if he has a special move, but I won't be surprised if he pulls one out. Overall:

Speed: 5, Power: 6, Stamina: 4, Mental: 6, Technique: 4

Atsukyou Tohno - Clive Miller
These two are probably the most straight-forward of the bunch. If you look at how Miller is portrayed, his eyes are very aggressive and half the time Konomi's drawn him, you can't even really see them. I'm not sure if he'll attack the opponent directly like Tohno does, but I believe he'll be an offensive, technique oriented player. What's Tohno's biggest weakness? His injury of course, so obviously Miller won't have that.

Speed: 5, Power: 4, Stamina: 6, Mental: 5, Technique: 7

Ikuto Kimijima - Alan Hopkins
Hopkins looks very eloquent to me, so I think he will battle with words just as much as Kimijima and among all the counterparts I portray here, this might be the confrontation I'm looking forward to the most in the bottom half of the line-up. I'm not really sure what Hopkins could do exactly, but I imagine him to be a very smart player. Kimijima's weakness is his physical side, having relatively little stamina and a weak serve. Hopkins is going to improve on both of those without a doubt. In fact, I won't be surprised if he's the most well-rounded player on the American team in an attempt to not give his opponents any weaknesses to exploit:

Speed: 5, Power: 5, Stamina: 5, Mental: 7, Technique: 5

Ryuuji Ohmagari - Dan Pacino
Maybe it's the sunglasses, but Pacino looks kind of like a bodybuilder to me. So just like Ohmagari, I think he will focus on the physical side. At the same time though, he won't have the same overconfidence Ohmagari is said to have. That said, with physical abilities as high as I predict them to be, there needs to be a weakness somewhere and I believe it'll be on his Technique. This makes sense to me because, unlike Ohmagari, Pacino won't have Nitouryuu and I can't really think of anything comparable either. Nitouryuu seems to be a big factor in Ohmagari's Technique stat though, so it doesn't seem out of place if Pacino is weaker there in my opinion.

Generally, I think Pacino will be an Offensive Counter Puncher, as Konomi coined the style. This means he will hit back everything and do so very rapidly until the opponent can no longer keep up. Overall I'm thinking something along the lines of these stats:

Speed: 6, Power: 6, Stamina: 7, Mental: 5, Technique: 3

Juujirou Oni - Ryoga Echizen
This is where the playstyle parallels end, so I won't bother with stat predictions anymore and merely describe the function of the characters instead. In the case of these two, they both seem like leading figures in the team, and even if they're not the strongest, they may have (Ryoga) or have had (Oni) strength comparable to that of the No. 1. Other countries should also have little data on either of them.

Kazuya Tokugawa - Ryoma Echizen
The super rookies of both teams. They're both newcomers to the Japanese and American team respectively and while they're not the strongest at the moment, I'm convinced they're the ones who will grow the most over the course of the tournament. What I'm the most curious about is how they are going to grow. We can already be fairly certain that Ryoma himself won't lose any matches, but Tokugawa doesn't have the same status protecting him. We've seen him grow from his matches with both Byoudouin and Volk so far, so I wonder if he'll lose against another pro before finally winning a big match.

Duke Watanabe - Dodo Obando
Both seem to be power players. Both are friendly, get along with their team captain and seem to fill in the vice-captain position. I'm glad Konomi turned Watanabe into more than a simple power player and I'm sure Obando will have something else up his sleeve besides the ability to jump high. One thing I am curious about is if Obando is half... North American (?) since the guy he may or may not be based on, Sherman Obando, was born in Panama in Central America.

Shuuji Tanegashima - Kiko Balentien
In the case of these two I mainly want to highlight how they were introduced. Tanegashima we first saw hanging out with Tokugawa and being treated with respect by him. Shortly afterwards we learned that he was part of the 1st string and then a bit more down the line that he was in fact the 1st string's No. 2.

Balentien hasn't had that much exposition yet, but the first time we saw him, he was together with the American captain and just in general he seems to be one of the team's central figures. We already know that he's a rep of course, so he can't get the same build-up Tanegashima had. Instead, however, Konomi chose to make him a 1st year, something that is very clearly unusual. He also seems to be pretty laid back like Tanegashima, but the main point is that Balentien is clearly someone we know is very strong, even though he hasn't even touched a racket yet.

Houou Byoudouin - Ralph Rhinehart
I wish I'd have more to say about these two, but I don't (yet). They're both captains and most likely highly capable. One point of interest might be that Rhinehart is described as outstanding leader by QP whereas I'm kind of split on that in Byoudouin's case. On the one hand, he hasn't managed to unite the entire team with his philosophy with Tokugawa, Oni and Irie at least directly opposing him at various points, but on the other hand he's still pulled them along. So I think ultimately it will be interesting to see how both Byoudouin and Rhinehart act in their role as captains.

How do you guys feel about all of this? Do you think the parallels will be as present as I'm making them out to be or do you think America will be very different from Japan in the end?

Furthermore, from the stats I gave the bottom of the American line-up, you can see that I'm expecting the US team to be stronger than the Japanese one overall (which is in line with what Ryoma said), but do you think the G10 will have fixed some of their weaknesses during the training camp and be closer to the level I projected the Americans to be at?

And finally, I've neglected to talk about one very important factor: Irie. The core of the American team has ten players, but the core of the Japanese team has eleven instead. In my mind, this can mean one of two things:
1) Irie will be the deciding factor that tips the tides in favor of Japan; or
2) There's one strong American rep we haven't seen yet.

Which one do you think will be the case? Or can you think of a third possibility?

Anera

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
How do you guys feel about all of this? Do you think the parallels will be as present as I'm making them out to be or do you think America will be very different from Japan in the end?
If I agree with you on the parallels made with the last five ones, I'm more doubtful about the others. I don't see any interest to make these players even a little bit similar to Japanese players. Your arguments make sense in a way (I don't really see any weakness, though I think that the parallel between Ochi and Jackson because they are both... tall a bit far-fetched :XD) but what's the point to see a kind of Japan team No. 2 ? You might be right for some of them but I would find it a bit disappoiting. Each team should be different.

And finally, I've neglected to talk about one very important factor: Irie. The core of the American team has ten players, but the core of the Japanese team has eleven instead. In my mind, this can mean one of two things:
Probably the first one. I begin to find weird that Irie is present in the team and hasn't prove himself yet. Until now, his role has been a bit limited and I don't think that Konomi is stupid enough to only make of him the mentor of Atobe. Something is up. I actually wonder if the other players are aware of that. (apart of Oni, I don't imagine him not being aware of Irie's true strength)

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
If I agree with you on the parallels made with the last five ones, I'm more doubtful about the others. I don't see any interest to make these players even a little bit similar to Japanese players. [...] what's the point to see a kind of Japan team No. 2 ?
Well, the bottom five simply don't have a function like the top five, so any parallels are inevitably stat related. For starters though, just because their strong points may be comparable doesn't mean their entire playstyle is the same. Even in my examples, Pacino won't have Nitouryuu, Miller won't have a new set of Executions and so on, they'd simply share some characteristics.

And what's the point? Overcoming superior versions would display mastery of a particular skill I suppose. It's not like Konomi hasn't done it before either. Just look at Kawamura, Gin and Tetsu or all the data players. Synchro has become a bit more widespread as well. That doesn't make those players carbon copies of each other, but they still share basic attributes.

Something is up. I actually wonder if the other players are aware of that. (apart of Oni, I don't imagine him not being aware of Irie's true strength)
I'm pretty sure Byoudouin and Duke should know as well, probably Tanegashima too. Basically all the members that know he was supposed to get a badge at one point should at least have an idea of his true level.

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
So is there any mention of why Rocky can make it on the team?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So is there any mention of why Rocky can make it on the team?
No. Maybe it's because Ryoma is in the MS age range and they decided to put him into that team in the end and Rocky into the HS one since Rocky is most certainly stronger than the 14th strongest MSer they have available. It's kind of weird in the sense that we haven't seen any other MSers from the US team, but I guess they have to exist if they played in the Pre-WC.

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Where did you learn the rest of names from the American team?

Fuuji Genichiro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
wow, konomi sure is making a good buck off his content, but anyway, id think that if there was any parallel in the HS team, there might be one in the MS team as well, and we all know who ryoma's parallel would be then.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
After reading the 23.5 profiles for the Americans, I feel somewhat vindicated regarding the general idea that they're similar to the G10 with a twist, however, the nature of the twists needs some adjustments. Rather than simply concerning their traits as players, the twists come more in terms of personality or reputation. To go down the list:
  • Byoudouin - Ralph: captaining through brute force vs. captaining through emotional support.
  • Dodo - Duke: destroyer vs. supportive big brother type.
  • Ohmagari - Don: elite who looks down on others from above vs. thug who works his way up from the bottom.
  • Kimijima - Alan: corrupt negotiator vs. gentleman.
  • Tohno - Clive: executioner vs. angel.
  • Ochi - Geisel: hard to approach assassin vs. bonding free spirit.
  • Mouri - Rocky: lazy genius vs. hard worker.
It's a bit funny, but the Americans are basically the types of people you'd expect on a conventional protagonist team whereas the Japanese are more like traditional antagonists. That's not to say America were meant to be the protagonists going into the WC - at least I don't believe that's the case - but rather that because the G10 were originally introduced as antagonists for the MSers, we now have a rather unusual set of main characters to work with.

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Revisiting this thread. Now we have more ideas about team Usa. With Ryoma and Ryoga leaving, team Usa really weakened.
Having Ryoga/Ryoma doubles is almost a sure win.

Now Ralph,Kiko,Alan,Dodo are the only ones relevant in team Usa.

Ralph- Pro level(defeated amadeus)
Kiko- Always Win 6-4. Counterpuncher like Fuji.
Alan- Like atobe, he maximize opponents blind spots and past injuries.
Dodo- Highest Jumping Ability. An improved version of Momoshiro.

But they are being destroyed by Spain. Ryoga's move to Spain are very clever. Ryoga Knows Usa can't beat Spain. (I assume Ryoga knows personally Spanish players because He has a spanish nationality)

mathematicianrcg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Furthermore, from the stats I gave the bottom of the American line-up, you can see that I'm expecting the US team to be stronger than the Japanese one overall (which is in line with what Ryoma said), but do you think the G10 will have fixed some of their weaknesses during the training camp and be closer to the level I projected the Americans to be at?

Which one do you think will be the case? Or can you think of a third possibility?
Going Back to this is interesting.

During the time when Ryoma said something similar like USA Is better than Japan (Probably Hsers Wise). It was in the Germany VS Japan Pre WC Match.

I actually really believed in that time, USA Hsers are Generally Stronger than Japan Hsers (Granted, Ryoga was there, but even if you remove him, I think they are as good, if not better than Japan Hsers Generally (Best 10 Vs Best 10))

Now, Fast Forward to Quarters. USA VS Switzerland is the only glimpse we saw what USA Hsers Can do. We know Swiss is ranked #1 in overall strength by QP. But USA managed to beat them convincingly.
Japan on the other hand beat France Convincingly also.

Semis though. I think Japan Hsers Started to High Progress. Byodoin, Tanegashima, Duke, and Oni showed how strong they are against Germany. Lower Tier G10 like Mouri and Ochi improved too.

On the other hand, Spain(w/ Ryoga) just crushed USA.

I think it is safe to say now. Japan surpassed USA already. And in the same level as Germany now.

Only Spain is the Tier Ladder that Japan needs to climb.

PS: Though I admit we can never be sure how USA Hsers Progress during their own run. USA basically upsets Switzerland, then proceed to lose to the Final Boss Team.

Last edited: