Games - Valheim | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Valheim

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="KsnIzdu"><a href="//imgur.com/KsnIzdu"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Platform: PC
Publisher: Irongate Studios
Genre: Procedural Open Worlds, Survival, PvE

Steam Store Page:
Official Discord: https://discord.com/invite/44qXMJH/

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
@xi0 pretty sure I've seen you playing this. What are your first impressions?

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
@xi0 pretty sure I've seen you playing this. What are your first impressions?
I only started today with some friends. Still too early to really tell but it seems to have the hype. Not very common for an Early Access Survival game to get this level of attention, be this feature-complete for $20, and still seem to mostly deliver what it advertises. There is so much garbage in this genre that flops immediately due to game-breaking bugs or troubled development. So I guess it stands out.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I also got suckered into the hype and got the game. I've been playing solo this far, but some friends are planning to join me later next week.

It's good for the money. I don't quite see anything spectacularly new in it yet, but I've had fun. And it works very well for early release.

With the money they got from this hype, they should be able to polish this into a true diamond. Unless they get greedy, or a new title will come to rain on it's parade (Like Fall Guys -> Among Us).

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I also got suckered into the hype and got the game. I've been playing solo this far, but some friends are planning to join me later next week.

It's good for the money. I don't quite see anything spectacularly new in it yet, but I've had fun. And it works very well for early release.

With the money they got from this hype, they should be able to polish this into a true diamond. Unless they get greedy, or a new title will come to rain on it's parade (Like Fall Guys -> Among Us).
I think solo can be just as fun as co-op, but going on adventures and taking on tasks with friends definitely enhances it in some areas.

They said it'll be in Early Access for at least a year, from what I've heard.

To be fair to Fall Guys, Among Us wasn't new when it kind of overtook it's hype. Among Us actually came out first. There's a ton of games like Valheim already, unlike in the cases of those two games. So I think it's a case of the game using an underutilized theme and just being very very polished already. There's so many things they can add to it potentially as well.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well yeah, Among Us was really an odd bird, because it is an older game. But I kind of just used it as a comparison that anything can get popular in an instant and take the place of the previous hit of the month.

But yeah, Valheim is a very clean game already and has room to grow. It might not suffer from the winds of trends changing due to it's nature as well. These games take more dedication and long-term investment to truly shine, while Fall Guys is essentially an arcade game and Among Us a party game.

I mean, even to this day Minecraft stays on top of the hill.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Is there any tricks on building? I have hard time sometimes getting the new pieces to their places. Like I really need to twist my camera to an weird angle until it lands right.

Another thing is the hoe. I really can't tell when the ground is actually even. I start laying floors, and ta-da, on one spot dirt clips thorough. Is the key to just lay down some logs first as a base and then start laying floors on them?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Is there any tricks on building? I have hard time sometimes getting the new pieces to their places. Like I really need to twist my camera to an weird angle until it lands right.

Another thing is the hoe. I really can't tell when the ground is actually even. I start laying floors, and ta-da, on one spot dirt clips thorough. Is the key to just lay down some logs first as a base and then start laying floors on them?
If you put your cursor directly on the edge of where you want to place it, it'll snap in place usually. It's kind of finnicky though and you can only build so tall before you need to elevate yourself on steps or something, etc.

Using logs like that is a method I think, but the hoe tool also takes a bit of nuance to get things as flat as humanly possible. You can smooth it out more by raising the ground first, basically. Not sure I have the patience for it quite yet, but this short video explains it better than I can.

This is also useful for more advanced building.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Oh that helps.

But yeah, the clipping is finnicky. Had trouble building a roof on my cooking station, but didn't wanna bother building elevation somewhere just to place that. Took forever to find the angle. But if/when I start building more complex things, I'll definetly keep that in mind.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The first major content update is a large scale building and crafting update from what the roadmap says. They have a lot planned for 2021 as it is.
Hopefully those improvements will come with that update.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Using logs like that is a method I think, but the hoe tool also takes a bit of nuance to get things as flat as humanly possible. You can smooth it out more by raising the ground first, basically. Not sure I have the patience for it quite yet, but this short video explains it better than I can.
Raising the ground first is the most ideal way as of right now. It costs you yes, but it makes it a perfectly flat surface after one or two shots. The inconsistency of the amount of earth taken with each flatten tool is what makes it so tricky.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I went with log method for my first actual house. Layed a square of logs on the ground and starter then place floors. Flattened/rises the ground when needed.

Now I'm looking for those fire demons I need for the forge. Damn Greydwarf Brutes keep ganging up on me and killing me.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I went with log method for my first actual house. Layed a square of logs on the ground and starter then place floors. Flattened/rises the ground when needed.

Now I'm looking for those fire demons I need for the forge. Damn Greydwarf Brutes keep ganging up on me and killing me.
You can find all the Surtling Cores you need early game in dungeons within the Black Forest. No need to hunt Surtlings or go to the Ashlands yet.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Welp, then I need to find a dungeon first. Haven't come across with one yet.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Welp, then I need to find a dungeon first. Haven't come across with one yet.
I had the same issue in my solo seed, 10-15 hours in and no luck. But I eventually found 3 all clustered together in the last place to look on my starter island. So if you're struggling it might be a similar situation.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Could be. I have one Black Forest corner of the island uncovered, so I suppose it is all there.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The long trek with friends to find Swamps and farm out 450+ Iron ore to outfit ourselves. Way too fun, this game is such a timesink already lol

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The long trek with friends to find Swamps and farm out 450+ Iron ore to outfit ourselves. Way too fun, this game is such a timesink already lol
It really is. Very engaging when your entire livelihood is on the line when a storm/serpent rocks up on the voyage home.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
So as an status update, I'm now gearing up towards taking on the Elder. The Surtling core issue indeed a case of most caves being bundled up together on one corner of the island.

Already found the summoning place, and found out that there is actually a patch of Meadows very near it, in middle of Black Woods, in the end corner of an peninsula. I think I'm gonna move my base there. Or at least build a teleport there.

We are forming a party tonight though with some friends who finally got the time. Making a new character for it, seems a bit cheating if I went there on my leveled up Viking. Should be fun to do it in a party again, and this time better.

Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Surtling cores become less of an issue once you venture into the Swamps, as there are permanent spawns there for mobs that drop them.

As for our MH group, we downed Moder today and got a Plains farm going to grow Barley and Flax. Stocked up on a decent amount of Iron and Black Metal beforehand so crafting goes smoother.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Dev update, looks like they're finally working on Mistlands. Seem to be adding dungeons to the Mountain biome too.

Our MH server expired and we didn't have a backup, so I guess restarting is something that would need to happen with new biomes being added perhaps.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Dev update, looks like they're finally working on Mistlands. Seem to be adding dungeons to the Mountain biome too.

Our MH server expired and we didn't have a backup, so I guess restarting is something that would need to happen with new biomes being added perhaps.
Ooh, mountain dungeons are a nice extra I didn't expect. Though makes sense, since it are the only biome (with Meadows) which doesn't have a "sub-biome" yet.

That sucks. But at least if you start anew, you'll have easier time finding tar pits. After the update they appeared only on plains that hadn't been discovered yet, so we had to sail daamn long to find even one.

Speaking of which, we defeated the final boss few weeks ago. We are still playing around with the new building blocks and lox breeding, but will likely jump to another game soonish. Until Mistlands or dungeons drop.