Manhwa - Webtoon - A Returner's Magic Should Be Special | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa Webtoon - A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: A Returner's Magic Should Be Special (a.k.a. Kikan-sha no mahou wa tokubetsudesu, La magia de un retornado debe ser especial, Magician who Reversing Time, Магія поверненого має бути особливою, พลังขั้นเทพของจอมเวทจุติใหม่, 帰還者の魔法は特別です, 重生者的魔法一定要特別, 귀환자의 마법은 특별해야 합니다, 귀환자의 마법은 특별해야 합니다 (Original))
Genres: Manhwa, action, adventure, fantasy
Author: Usonan
Artist: Wookjakga
Publication: Kakao, Redice Studio; serialized in KakaoPage and D&C Webtoon
Start Date: 2018
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 192
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 192

General Overview:
Desir Arman and his motley group of survivors defeated Bhromier Napolitan, a fearsome dragon to clear a hellish shadow world. Instead of a clear message and instant transportation back to their world, the dragon detonates! Desir wakes up as a teenager when he was going to enroll into Hebrion Academy. With the knowledge of the future, Desir seeks to change fate for all his past life friends.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
The art is superb most of the time. There are instances where scenes some scenes could be better drawn so its more comprehensible. I do appreciate the fact that it is colored.

Plot: 9
What makes the plot attractive is the fact that due to the shadow worlds, multiple stories are told. These shadow worlds provides interaction with the past but it is not time traveling. What has transpired in history is fixed but the shadow world entertains quantic possibilities i.e. what if history played out differently.

There are also transitions in the plot that was rough for example at the beginning where Desir time travels back to Hebrion Academy suddenly. The plot forward transition cohesively for a reader to understand the flow of the story.

Characters: 8
Desir Arman is from a bleak future where the world was swallowed up in a hellish shadow world. Historically, Desir is a commoner and in Hebrion, there is great discrimination against commons from the nobles or discrimination based on magic ability.

Romantica, Ajest and Pram are the other protagonists that are part of a four man squad that includes Desir. All these characters were featured in the first chapter but only Ajest is mentioned by name. Romantica and Pram are featured in the first sets of panels. Pram is dead from an attack to the left chest in a sitting postion. Romantica is shown crying before her death. Ajest is one of the survivors who sits alone on a huge rock. Desir first (re)unite with a younger Romantica and Adjest at a Hebrion Academy entrance exam. On seeing Romantica, Desir is unable to contain his emotions. Pram appears soon after.

As the story unfolds, characters that appears in the first chapter starts appearing. Their design changes a bit as the art style changes. Other characters are added to enrich

Theme: 7
What I discovered is how tenacious Desir is about keeping as many of his friends alive and this makes me think of Fairytail's emphasis on nakama (intimate friendship). But Desir is pretty self-centered about keeping his friends safe to the point that he recklessly harm himself for their sake. His teammates are not ignorant of what Desir is doing, but they also don't know why he goes to such lengths for them.

We also see in this manhwa that Desir, as well as similar time-traveling protagonist, seeks to change the future by using the opportunity of going back in time. But his efforts has an effect that changes the future which changes the timeline. This change causes events to play out differently and also people and groups that the protagonist was not aware of in his original timeline. I think Desir is uncovering the truth behind why his original timeline experienced such a hellish shadow world. In the new timeline, Desir's concern is to prevent the terrible future that took place in his original timeline. This is due to the fact that Desir is able to leverage his knowledge, life experience of the previous timeline and also cultivate himself further in the new timeline.

Other characters appear that also want to change the future such as Crow Mask and Skull Mask. Crow Mask would like to change the world so that there is no longer any discrimination against commoners or those who were born is a lower level magic circle. Skull Mask seeks to right every wrong. These two individuals clash against Desir.

Kei Hazmaryu is another character that seeks to change the world. He appears in a shadow world in chapter 123. He has clear disdain for those who use magic and there are cultural elements tied to his disdain. We also see something similar in Crow Mask who disdain nobles who are born with naturally higher magic circles. Kei Hazmaryu lives in a magic kingdom so it's not strange for magic discrimination to exist.

Overall, there are multiple characters that seeks to change the world.

Originality: 7
The concept of a dying hero who awakens in the past is a mainstream troupe and has become common place. The plot differs but the protagonist travels to the past with memories of the prior timeline. They exploit their historical knowledge to their advantage and we see that taking place in A Returner's Magic Should Be Special also.

I am not a subject matter expert on fantasy trends but lately, I've noticed a trend for magic systems utilizing magic circles such as the 7th magic circle magicians and etc. I also wondering if there is a cultural element to martial arts that has influenced the development of this magic system. Of course the higher level magic circle, the stronger a character.

One concept I do like is that the shadow worlds are a kind of dungeon. And within these shadow worlds are characters and objectives.

Overall: 8
I recommend this webtoon to those that enjoy fantasy adventure, magic, and where the main character travels back in time.

Last edited: