Shounen - [Webtoon] Ability by Son Jae-ho & Lee Gwang-Su | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen [Webtoon] Ability by Son Jae-ho & Lee Gwang-Su

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

Genre: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Supernatural
Author:Son Jae-ho
Artist:Lee Gwang-Su
Description: Under the backdrop of a city with a mysterious killer on the loose, we are introduced to an exceptional young Cafe owner; possessing the rapidly to healing along with heightened physical abilities. When he goes out for a evening grocery run he encounters a strange looking little girl who asks to borrow his phone. He gladly obliges but, as he is appreciating the evening breeze, the girl's hat is blown off and she chases it out into traffic. He dives in front of the child and is hit by a truck. Some distance away we see a jewel crack and a shadowy figure celebrate finding "something".

What does it all mean? I guess we'll have to read to find out.

My thoughts: It definitely looks interesting. Seems like kind of an "X-Men" meets "Inuyasha" so far. Not sure if that impression is at all accurate but that's what I got from it. It's written and drawn by the same people who brought us Noblesse so it's bound to be a worthwhile read.

The fact that it's optimized for smartphones is...not ideal. For one thing that's always going to hurt image quality for PC viewers, like me; but I can understand why they'd want to try that format.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I still don't really get why they make this "specifically" for mobile phones. Most of online readers are still PC/laptop-user anyway. Does it mean so that the comic can still be read when you're on mobile phone or what? >.<

Either way, first chapter is an introduction as usual. A kind-hearted person with special ability. Looking forward to the complications. I also hope the art will stay as good as it is now. :mono

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still don't really get why they make this "specifically" for mobile phones. Most of online readers are still PC/laptop-user anyway. Does it mean so that the comic can still be read when you're on mobile phone or what? >.<

Either way, first chapter is an introduction as usual. A kind-hearted person with special ability. Looking forward to the complications. I also hope the art will stay as good as it is now. :mono
I don't know what's with the smartphone thing. People love their iphones and ipads, I get that, but you can always downscale artwork. You can't upscale it. Which kinda shafts those of use who use larger screens. Then again I'm old fashioned with my desktop computer and comfy computer chair.

The plot seems solid but I suppose it's pretty early to judge. Whatever direction the story takes, I'm hoping for plenty of that quirky humor that Noblesse does so well.

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Heh, waiting for a late Noblesse raw, I found some spare time to read Ability =)

I'm absolutely sure we'll get lots of good humor knowing the authors, the blondie seems to know how to reply in certain situations (I had a good laugh at "How are you feeling?" "I feel... bad" "..."). I like it so far, I'll continue to follow it.

I'm just a little worried for Noblesse, running two weekly series isn't a very good idea IMO. It might sound terrible but I'd rather hear that they had a minor accident or their graphic tablet broke or something than that they couldn't finish this week's Noblesse because of having two weeklies.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It's up to chapter 4 so far and I still haven't felt any "spark" with the series. I think it's pretty similar to how I started Noblesse so probably it's like that too this time? :p

The action was quite fun, although it decreased a bit since of the involved party is quickly healed from his wounds. That destroyed the balance a bit. I'm a bit curious about the bad guys and what exactly this "ability" is, so I'll stick around for more.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's up to chapter 4 so far and I still haven't felt any "spark" with the series. I think it's pretty similar to how I started Noblesse so probably it's like that too this time? :p

The action was quite fun, although it decreased a bit since of the involved party is quickly healed from his wounds. That destroyed the balance a bit. I'm a bit curious about the bad guys and what exactly this "ability" is, so I'll stick around for more.
I'm getting the same feeling.

Though in Noblesse's case the beginning was funnier. It's not that the series is bad or anything it's just that none of the characters really distinguished themselves to me so far. The main guy seems likable, which is a fine foundation, but I feel like that's just not "enough". I'm hoping for some supporting cast to bring a little bit more to the table.

Monsterguy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Please tell me the new person with the long hair in chapter 8, is actually a girl but flat chested, please...:crying

Just look at "Ability" manhwa, chapter 8:

That person's face reminds me of one of the hottest/sexy girls with perfect temparament according to my taste. Her name is Moka from "Rosario + Vampire", after she transforms into a "true vampire" !!!
But, sadly, despite the fact that the art is amaizing in "Rosario + Vampire" (I have only watched anime but dropped manga !!!), I must say that the true story is pushed behind and fan service given more priority, what I hate there. Oh and also it's similar to "Fairy tale", because good guys always(no matter how many fights they have) win against no matter who.

Now back on the subject, look at "Moka's true form" that I was referring too, and I so adore:

And when "this", not yet sealed Moka, was still young:

To sum it all, I'm in love with "the true vampire Moka's design"...:love

PS: I'm also in love with "Erza Scarlet" from "Fary Tale", just look why:

But although, I hate it when there are man with design that would be otherwise fit for girls, I am crossing fingers / I hope that there would be at least one person of the same/similar caliber but with boobs and a girl in this manhwa...:derp

I say: "hope is gona die last"...:cheez

So untill that happenes, I am not going to drop this series no matter what...:XD

The storyline also looks really interesting to me, so this is additional plus for me. But a strawberry on top of the cake, and what I also love in "Ability", is how well presented supernatural effects are !!!

PS: Because those are creators from Noblesse, I know they might surprise me some day, when I will expect it "the least"...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Eyes changing! :zomg

We've seen the crystal for a while now. Now it finally arises to the surface. C'mon, give me some explanatiooon~
Is the last page intended to be a joke? I thought it was going to be an attack, but does it cause healing to the monster because the boy's ability is also a healing ability? Or what? Since it feels very strange. As if I'm looking into the other side of Raizel using his power to healing instead of attacking. :|

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm with you in spirit Monster Guy. I'm really hoping for this character to be a girl but... I don't at all trust that this won't be "king of the bishis"

Ability is certainly not a fast developing series. When I made this thread I remember feeling tempted to write "????" under description. Eight chapters later, I don't feel like I know anything more now than I did back then.-_-;

cearon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Jammin, u became a translator to my feelings. After 8 chapters i still dont know whether i like this or not.

about the chapter, the new char do seem somewhat feminine and feels like M-21 when he got introduced in noblesse. why do i feel like this?

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Looks like we all share one feeling about the series here. :nod

I'm not sure what I've been reading so far. I don't really mind the art, the humor is sometimes funny, but the whole plot is not yet very inviting. I think Noblesse was a bit better when it started (Noblesse was my first manhwa and first webtoon so I was probably a bit biased, but still...). But I don't think I'd give up now, I'll stick around for more, hoping that it will improve.

I believe the new character is a girl, honestly. :s

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like we all share one feeling about the series here. :nod

I'm not sure what I've been reading so far. I don't really mind the art, the humor is sometimes funny, but the whole plot is not yet very inviting. I think Noblesse was a bit better when it started (Noblesse was my first manhwa and first webtoon so I was probably a bit biased, but still...). But I don't think I'd give up now, I'll stick around for more, hoping that it will improve.

I believe the new character is a girl, honestly. :s
"He".."She"..I think I'lll go with "it". It is a straight up "girl's head on an effeminate man's body".:8C

My expectations for this series are steadily dropping. I don't want to be too negative here, as there is still time for the story to take a turn for the better, but my hope seems more distant. Right now the series only really has one and a half characters; the protagonist and the little girl (who is almost certainly not a little girl). That's just not enough.

In Noblesse we had Frankenstien, Raizel, and Shin Woo along with all his friends by this point. When you have characters that... fun you can get away with a weak plot(which Noblesse kinda did for a while), Ability has a decent protagonist but nothing else to keep it going; something which the "super serious transsexual" didn't help.:s

Last edited:

SQm3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reactions: Day

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
BI WEELKY ? :( that s really sad i was hoping that it will be around for me after 7 days, no wi have to wait a fortnight. Darn
My opinion on this manga is its definitely interesting. Hope things gets better :). Any idea who the white haired scarlet dressed tranny is?

Last edited:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I didn't know it was bi-weekly. Was it not? :o I wonder if they decided to turn Ability into a bi-weekly series because they want to focus on Noblesse.

We're up to chapter 11 now and why am I still not very pumped at the end of each chapter? >,< It's getting quite interesting as Yu Hwa's power is starting to awaken. It seems like there's another being or consciousness inside of him, giving him power to fight and to heal as well. The fight with the monster was rather funny with all the comments and style. Indeed from Noblesse authors, lol. I'm not very pumped yet but we'll see. It's still a small universe anyway so we're waiting to see more coming from it. <3

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
This is like Frank being the main character. I think the guys saw how popular frank was i mean he is a tank in terms of popularity so they decided to make a guy with similar chara be the main :)
Hec he even looks like frank n some respect.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
This is like Frank being the main character. I think the guys saw how popular frank was i mean he is a tank in terms of popularity so they decided to make a guy with similar chara be the main :)
Hec he even looks like frank n some respect.
You mean Yu Hwa? Well, they seem to have the same humor, LOL~ Aside from that, yeah, I can see some traits similar to Frank. Mainly about how he cares about people and seem to be the good guy. I'm wondering about his background at this point, but there's no way we'll get it so fast. XD

SQm3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
BI WEELKY ? :( that s really sad i was hoping that it will be around for me after 7 days, no wi have to wait a fortnight. Darn
My opinion on this manga is its definitely interesting. Hope things gets better :). Any idea who the white haired scarlet dressed tranny is?
I didn't know it was bi-weekly. Was it not? :o I wonder if they decided to turn Ability into a bi-weekly series because they want to focus on Noblesse.
Sorry. I meant to say it gets better every other week (i.e. chapter) not that the Manhwa is released every other week. I have updated my post for clarification.

---------- Post added February 06, 2013 at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was January 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM ----------

Just saw the latest raws. Looks like it's starting to REALLY pick up now. I wish the translations would come out faster.

Last edited:

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Chapter 13 was translated its available in mangafox, regular chit chat filled the chapter.
it seems zyu Hwa is going to be in to the investigation indirectly. Predicted that much though

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ahh, it looks like at chapter 17 we're finally getting somewhere!

Took long enough but the cast seems to be expanding, which is good, and things are seeming a little less centric on the "It". Which is good thing for me because no matter what Ability does I don't think I'm ever going to be able to take the mega-bishi seriously. I just....can't.