Manhwa - Webtoon - Breaker 3 Eternal Force | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa Webtoon - Breaker 3 Eternal Force

segua

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: The Breaker 3 - Eternal Force (a.k.a. Eternal Force, The Breaker 3, The Breaker 3: Eternal Force, The Breaker Season 3, ブレーカー : エターナル・フォース, 永远之气, 이터널 포스)
Genres: Manhwa, webtoon, Action, Adventure, Martial Arts
Author: Geukjin Jeon
Artist: Jinhwan Park
Publication: Naver
Start Date: 2022
End Date: Ongoing
Number of chapters at review: 61
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 61

General Overview:
Shiwoon suffered traumatically at the hands of Goomoonryong (9-arts Dragon) at the battle of Seoul's Tower, and his recovery has not fared well. Shiwoon 's cannot escape his wretched fate with his former master and Murim villain, Chunwoo Han also infamously known as Goomoonryong (9-arts Dragon). Obsessed with killing Goomoonryong, Shiwoon overexerts his body, mind and spirit to exact Murim-style punishment.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 10
The art consistency matches Breaker New Waves. It's good colored artwork rather than the black and white art work seen in season 1 and 2. I'm confident that colors were incorporated due to a huge surge of transition from traditional medium (paper) to digital. Jinhwan Park's ability as an artist is superb.

Plot: 7
The general plot is straight forward at the start of the webtoon - Breaker 3 Eternal Force begins as a martial arts revenge plot. I expect that in Breaker 3, Shiwoon seeks revenge and most likely will reconcile with Chunwoo Han then fight the Black Forest. There are variables that I'm interested in seeing how Guekjin Jeon will incorporate them into the plot. One is Shiho's and Lady Sosul return to Murim. Shiho might smooth things over between Shiwoon and Chunwoo. What's intriguing is how will the Sunwoo clan will react to Lady Sosul's return? Currently the Sunwoo clan is under the stewardship of Shiwoon and his leadership is recognized in Murim. Lady Sosul's return will abdicate Shiwoon as the Sunwoon clan's head. So, there are a lot of questions right now at the start of Breaker season 3. I'm excited to see how the plot develops.

Characters: 8
I appreciate seeing a lot of returning characters and also a couple new characters to freshen things up. The character development for Shiwoon and Chunwoo are impeccable. Both men suffer from the trauma in season 1. Everyone else is reacting to Shiwoon and Chunwoo, the movers and shakers of the Breaker. We can see the sudden shift in attitude in Shiwoon towards Chunwoo. Chunwoo's development isn't as apparent due to a lack of appearances but his appearances reveal enough key components to see his changes. Certainly he is a lot stronger or perhaps appear more ruthless than his first appearance in season 1.

The introduction of Kang Ha-Jae was alright. He seems to be this filler character that helped opened Breaker 3 Eternal Force and grows into a variable between Shiwoon and Chunwoo.

There is a high likelihood that Shiho will make a return. I'm not a fan of recycling characters like this because she died in season 1. Her return will definitely impact the two main protagonist.

And since we're talking about recycling characters is concern, I do appreciate recycling characters (that are alive) we've seen since season 1 and those introduced in season 2. Intriguing side characters such as Han Dae-San received a special role. Even Han Dae-San's backstory on how he received the moniker the Immovable Steel Wall is explored plot-wise.

Theme: 8
Right away we see a replay of similar elements in season 1 where a non-Murim-in joins Murim. Kang Ha-jae gets bullied which makes Shiwoon sympathize with Kang Ha-jae. Shiwoon gives Kang Ha-jae help but over does it without really understanding the entire repercussion of his actions. Kang Ha-jae develops ki and this starts his journey into Murim.

An important driver for the plot is the revenge motif even when The Breaker and The Breaker New Wave are considered. The revenge plot isn't as straight forward but very messy which I appreciate. Chunwoo Han wanted revenge and he almost achieved it. Shiwoon wanted to reunite with his master but that wish was dashed when Chunwoo Han killed a Sunwoo elder, Kwon Jaekyu. An important underlying theme is freedom. We see this in both Shiwoon and Chunwoo. They are confined to very strict hierarchical societies. Shiwoon fights to protect Murim while Chunwoo fights against Murim. But there is also a clear differentiation between the stages that Shiwoon plays on compared to Chunwoo. Shiwoon plays at a national stage in South Korea whereas Chunwoo plays on a global stage as Goomoonryong. Shiwoon has always been playing on a smaller stage.

Another interesting theme is how the younger Murim generation are breaking out under the shadow of the long established elders. This theme was established in Breaker New Wave and heightened at the end of that serialization. We see more activity involving the young generation masters and future clan heads. The generational conflict has not intensified since the end of season 2.

I can see cultural elements that's not quite present in Western civilization that are more present in Asia and Africa and probably other non-Western countries. Murim must maintain balance. And Murim is located in South Korea. The writer and artist of the Breaker are South Koreans. I can infer that family ties particularly clan ties are very important. Inter-clan relationships or inter-sect/inter-school relationships are also important. This notion is not easily understood in an individualistic society like the United States. There is a complex intertwining hierarchy that's in a fragile state. Murim was devastated by Goomoonryong and then with the Heavenly Way's involvement with SUC and the Black Forest Defense. Murim is in a very fragile state where they are rebuilding. The younger generation masters are also vying against the older generation masters to better position themselves against external threats to Murim particularly from the Black Forest Defense. Murim's fear of Sunwoo was only grown while the Heavenly Way's influence has diminished which affects Hyuk So-Chun. The former Alliance head returned to reprise his role over the Murim Alliance. Since season 1, the Alliance head revealed that he belongs to the Black Heaven and Earth sect which Chunwoo and Shiwoon belongs to also. There is an uneasy relationship between the Alliance head and Shiwoon as Shiwoon cannot relinquish his role as Sunwoo clan leader. Relationships are tense and delicate in Murim.

Breaker 3 Eternal Forces are dealing with all these different themes as that are all coming to a head.

Originality: 8
Ever since the first Breaker series, this series has reminded me of Veritas, but in the Breaker, the teacher lived, the student turns on the teacher, and the scope of the plot keeps getting bigger. The Breaker makes this formula unique by adding a non-Korea faction called the Black Forest Defense, adding more depth to the side characters and focusing on the relationship between the two main protagonist rather than obsessing on revenge. Sure the revenge theme has kept the story going but the plot got more complex. In season 2, Shiwoon became clan head and then the plot built on Sunwoo accepting their interim leader as elected by Lady Sosul. But in season 3, Shiwoon is recognized in Murim as the de facto clan leader and we see more inner-clan dealings.

We also see that although Shiwoon has gain more power, there is a problem because Shiwoon was originally taught martial arts from the Black Heaven and Earth School (a.ka. Dark Heaven and Earth). The protagonist in the Breaker 3 Eternal Force is different than say protagonists like Solo Leveling where the protagonist continually gets stronger without very many obstacles that's non-strength or non-power based. Different obstacles that cannot be solved by strength alone makes Breaker 3 fascinating and are on the forefront rather than low priority issues.

Overall: 9
I recommend the Breaker 3 Eternal Force to fans of the Breaker, those that enjoy martial arts manga/manwha, and those that enjoy action adventure.

Last edited: