Shounen - [Webtoon] DICE by Yunhyunseok | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen [Webtoon] DICE by Yunhyunseok

Nast.J

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
DICE - The cube that changes everything

Alt Names: 다이스 / DICE / Кости
Author: Yunhyunseok
Artist: Yunhyunseok
Type: Manhwa (Korean)
Original link: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=557676&weekday=
Where to read it:http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/dice-the-cube-that-changes-everything-r9263
Group Editing: Silent Sky and Soul Scans

Summary:
What if you could change your life? Your appearance? Intelligence? Strenght? Charisma? and even more... All of that is possible with the dices!
Thoughts: All i can say for now is that the story is really appealing, the art is original and charming, it kinda makes you fall in love with the comic . The story is pretty interesting as well, something very original that I've never heard about yet very complex at at the same time and the characters development (especially for the protagonist) seems to be well executed.

The grading on naver is good enough as well so i doubt it would get cancelled as of right now.

What i think after reading the 5 chapters, you'd better read this after you've caught up with the chapters:
What if you could change your life for the better just by playing with a dice? That was interesting from the start. The prologue and first chapter were amazing, they were basically a mean of setting up the background of the story, the main plot : the dice etc... Then chapter 2, 3, 4 were basically a way of giving us details about the life of our protagonist, his way of living, thinking, dressing, his life at school and how hard life can be for outcasts... I really liked the way he was portrayed, it wasn't that cliche. It actually seemed very realistic, humans tend to ask themselves why is their life that way when they get into trouble and that's what he did, the usual : ''Why me?, Why is life so unfair?'' really shook me. And finally the 5th chapter enabled the story to go back to the main plot which is the game of the dice. I'm really looking forward to the next chapters, I just can't wait, this is just too amazing. The way this is going, it really has so much potential.
I'm pretty sure we've all been to a point asking ourselves, what if i was this or that and it's going to be fun watching the journey of this kid trying to change his life for the better. I expect many twists and i wonder what was the goal of the game.

If you're looking for something good and interesting to read then this is for you! I've got no doubt that if the story continues going in a good way, it could become in the future as popular as Tower of god, Noblesse and The Breaker.

I hope you're going to start this out of boredom, interest etc... Because i think many will enjoy this story!

Last edited:

halfcrzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Really cool. Thanks for sharing, I saw this on naver before with no idea what it was. This could get really popular like you said!

Nast.J

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Really cool. Thanks for sharing, I saw this on naver before with no idea what it was. This could get really popular like you said!
I'm glad you picked it up!
I also saw it on naver at first but felt sad that it wasn't translated anywhere. Fortunately, 2 teams started it and we're having chapters on a weekly basis which is pretty cool!

I forgot to remind you guys that chapter 6 came out 3 days ago : http://www.batoto.net/read/_/180024/dice-the-cube-that-changes-everything_ch6_by_soul-scans

The story is slowly starting to advance. Who wouldn't dream to change his intellect/strength/height or stuff like that just by playing a game. It seems like his life is slowly starting to change for the better since he's not getting bullied anymore. I do wonder if more dice users are going to appear.

halfcrzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yea its interesting with the whole level up system. They could make dicers fight, or quests become really hard. Its an interesting idea to consider. Ill definitely keep following this, hopefully it will break the classic cliche of manhwa that it takes forever for the plot to really pick up. Almost dropped ToG and Noblesse when they both were still in the first few chapters because it was so slow.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
is this a mind game genre? i mean is it the battle of wits ? is the protagonist like akiyama and Kira ?

halfcrzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Haha its hard to explain the genre without completely spoiling it. Id say read the 7 chapters that are out. Its also really hard to call this any particular genre truthfully at this point as well

Nast.J

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Haha its hard to explain the genre without completely spoiling it. Id say read the 7 chapters that are out. Its also really hard to call this any particular genre truthfully at this point as well
I was about to say the same thing. Also,Chapter 7 was amazing. A lot of funny references and the upcoming quest will probably be hilarious! If only we had more chapters!

What did you think about it?

is this a mind game genre? i mean is it the battle of wits ? is the protagonist like akiyama and Kira ?
Honestly, I can only say that it's psychological with a bit of action/suspense with a huge intrigue at the center of the story. Go ahead and give it a try! The only bad thing about Dice is the small amount of chapter released otherwise it's definitively something worth reading.

---------- Post added July 27, 2013 at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was July 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM ----------

I was waiting for more chapters to be released before commenting.

We're up 9 chapters.

The story is slowly advancing and we're slowly asking ourselves questions about X's identity.The main character whose life changed for the better is now helping the people who are getting bullied by giving them dices, that's a nice twist. I do wonder if the one that just got the dice won't become ''bad''.

I mean what if he gives dices to other people too or ends up bullying people instead?

Anyways, it's very interesting so far especially the reference about the bible, i wonder where this is going to lead us though.

Chapter 10 should be out today!

I also edited the first post with a quick summary.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Chapter #10 is out on batoto btw.

It was pure coincidence that I picked up this manhwa. I just saw the word "DICE" written in capital letters on mangapanda and first thing what came in my mind was "what the fuck has DICE (video game developer known for Battlefield, lol) to do with japanese/korean comics?". So I immediately read it and facepalmed myself right after, thinking "dude... you are such a retard... it's Dice, not DICE".

Thought it would be funny to share my awesomeness here.:oh

This manhwa seems to be interesting. I have to read all chapters again, because I read the first 10 chapters pretty fast.

Let my throw a theory here:
Eunju = Dicer?

Nast.J

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I'm glad someone else picked it up!

Yeah, alot of people mentionned that Eunju could be a Dicer but if she was, she'd need to raise her intelligence because she didn't seem that smart but it's good possibility.

I think the kid in the first chapter (the prologue) is probably X and not the main character.

Btw, that's a funny way to start a manga. Seems like someone is really a gamer :3c

apellon

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
ok so i gave it a try ... i have to say the art is really nice especially striking in the first chapter... great gloss and hue effects .
Now, the idea is pretty legit , it s interesting concept, the plot is well connected, and it has a great potential but i m wondering how things will evolve ,
as of now most of the story is evolving around the same classroom... i wonder if it will stilll be like this for a long time or is it gonna expand with other dicers , expand the world , expand the rules and the consequences ... in fact i m not sure how dicers will compete with each other ( more than just by the number of quest and dices rolled) or if they even will? also i m confused , if u max one ability , is it then maxed out ? wouldnt be pretty quick to max out all abilities ? or can u just keep adding to like intellect forever ? also as of now the little errands and quest that are there , were kind of lame so i wonder if it will only be stuff like that all the time... anyway , will see

Last edited:

halfcrzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah good thing to consider if its possible to max a stat. But im assuming the answer is no its not possible. If you want to consider numbers, the human body can usually always improve, with weights lifted or IQ increased. But it also maybe something like an experience bar, where you level up fast early and slow later. I am still wondering myself the point of DICE-ers, and what the main plot will be.
PS I found another good comic that started recently you guys should check it out; 'Aletheia'

apellon

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
PS I found another good comic that started recently you guys should check it out; 'Aletheia'
yes its not too bad , for now though , it s hard to say if it will be more than that , since there is only too few chapters..........

halfcrzy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah what a good chapter. Right when were asking the question he brings up potential answers. You can focus the gains in specific parts and potentially super human abilities too. And it appears you can break human limits but each dice has diminishing returns so to speak as I took it.

Nast.J

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Ah what a good chapter. Right when were asking the question he brings up potential answers. You can focus the gains in specific parts and potentially super human abilities too. And it appears you can break human limits but each dice has diminishing returns so to speak as I took it.
I know right, we were all asking ourselves questions about that and ''Boom'' we get an answer.

Exactly, Byungchul meant that we might possibly max our stats to the point that we can get superhuman abilities just by focusing on one ability but yeah the return is pretty bad, your body is going to get unbalanced and might not just take it, some people might just turn crazy or stuff like that (I suppose).

See what happened with his right hand, already. I'm really interested to learn more about that part.

Damn, Dice keeps getting more amazing!

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Just started it (ya took me long enough for some reason ) and finished up to chap 12 i think thats the latest in mangareader.. its really intersting kind a like Liar game - the mind game stuffs with hefty prizes...
ne way what is the frequency of scannalations ?

Nast.J

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Just started it (ya took me long enough for some reason ) and finished up to chap 12 i think thats the latest in mangareader.. its really intersting kind a like Liar game - the mind game stuffs with hefty prizes...
ne way what is the frequency of scannalations ?
One chapter per week which is usually released on saturday. (unless the scan teams are late.) You should read them on batoto (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/dice-the-cube-that-changes-everything-r9263) because it's better to read them in one stripe (which is the original way of reading it since it's a manwha.)

The latest chapter (12) is out, i'm really interested to see where this is going. I do wonder if there's going to be a fight between Taebin and Byungchul. I'm also wondering what is needed to unlock those amazing powers like telekinesis etc..

The pace is a bit slow right now but i feel like it's necessary to set everything up.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I didn't know that you can read this webtoon at batoto. Now I realize that there is a fucking prolouge (Chapter 000) which I didn't read, because it was not uploaded at Mangapanda. Screw this and thank you Nast.J. Now I get what you meant with:
I think the kid in the first chapter (the prologue) is probably X and not the main character.
Anyway, I read all the chapters again and decided to follow this webtoon to the end. What's interesting is that I don't have any favorite character yet. I hope this will change with the introduction of more dicers.

Do wee need to put spoiler tags, whenever we want to write about the most recent chapter? For those who didn't read till Chapter 12 and don't want to get spoiled, I would recommend you to stop reading this post from now on.

X and the prologue kid:
I don't think they are the same person. X seems to be some kind of an asshole. I can't believe the prologue kid turned out like this. But why/how on earth did the prologue kid get so many dice in different sizes?

Similarities between the dicers?
This is probably unimportant, but it catched my eye. We have officially four dicers. Those are the prologue kid, Taebin, Dongtae and Byungchul. The father of the prologue kid is an alcoholic asshole, the mother of Dongtae is an alcoholic and the father/mother of Byungchul is always at work and doesn't spent time with him. We have yet to see Taebin's parents, but it seems that all of them have some kind of a "problem" with their parent(s).

Suspicious Eunju:
Did anyone realize that Eunju's bag has a square? Look here and here. No one else has a square on his bag, if I recall. Come on... there is something fishy about her. At least I hope so.

Chapter 12:
Who is saying "you can't just raise your power that easily!" here? The kids? Seems like a warning/hint from the author.

I'm also very interested in how you can get those supernatural powers. I really like the fact that you can unlock them. It seems you can really gain godlike powers. I wonder how far one can get and if you can lose your powers. There has to be risks in some form.

Taebin vs. Byungchul? Is this a quest for Taebin? Will DICE get "darker" from now on? I wouldn't mind it. Actually, I really hope that this series becomes more serious with regard to violence and morals. It doesn't seem to be far-fetched, now that supernatural powers are introduced. We can all agree that you don't get those power with just complimenting some girls.

As a side note:
We should record all of X' quests and Dongtae's decisions (such as giving a dice to Byungchul). At some point (after 20, 30, 50 Chapters) everyone should post which of the quests he would/wouldn't do and if he would make the same decisions like Dongtae. It would be real fun to see our true nature and how far we would go, lolz.

world is wide

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Up to chapter 25 and things are getting crazy. X seems like the personification of chaos, and the dice his means to unmake the world DBZ style.

At least The Gamer has quests for actual self improvement, making the levelling a less hax. X's quests seems more geared to random social mischief

Last edited:

strixflash

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Latest chapters are interesting. I wonder if the gold dice would make him an A rank holder?

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
INCREDIBLY interesting set of chapters, I think he moved up the rank to the higher rankers. The girl would obviously think lowly of him ie think that he saved her not for his feelings but for the quest like the rest. Ne way eagerly waiting for upcoming chapters, the stuffs looks great