Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Champion - News and Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Champion - News and Discussion

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WEEKLY SHONEN CHAMPION (NEWS AND DISCUSSION)

Welcome to the new thread for news and discussions about the Weekly Shonen Champion magazine!

Shonen Champion is a weekly manga magazine published by Akita Shoten since 1969, despite being the least known in the west between the "big 4" weekly magazines, Champion is one of the most successful shounen magazines in Japan with a long history of successful mangas including many Osamu Tezuka mangas, the last print circulation report was around 250.000 copies per issue. Shonen Champion is part of the shounen demographic focused in the male teenager audience but despite publishing all kind of works it's known for the more "edgy/violent" content and also for the delinquent/yankee series, be traditional or modern/hybrid.

The current line up:
-Saint Seiya: Next Dimension by Masami Kurumada
-Yowamushi Pedal by Wataru Watanabe
-Furutto on Thursday by Masazaku Ishiguro
-Baki Gaiden: Scarface by Keisuki Itagaki & Yukinao Yamauchi
-The Vampire Dies In No Time by Itaru Nonnoki
-Atsumare! Fushigi Kenkyuubu by Masahiro Anbe
-Mairimashita! Iruma-kun by Osamu Nishi
-Appare! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku by Kenji Hamaoka
-Baki-dou by Keisuke Itagaki ()
-Ippon Again! by Yu Muraoka
-Harigane Service Ace by Ara Tatsuya
-Worst Gaiden Guriko by Hiroshi Takahashi & Ryuuta Suzuki
-Shy by Bukimi Miki
-Makai no Shuuyaku wa Wareware Da by Osamu Nishi, Koneshima & Atsushi Tsudanuma
-Meika-san wa Oshi Korosenai by Shouki Satou
-A Girl Who Can't Speak Thinks "She Is Too Kind" by Ichi Yamura
-Yankee JK Kuzuhana-chan by Toshinori Sogabe
-Tougen Anki by Yura Urushibara
-Isekai Chef to Saikyou Boshoku Hime by Takeshi Azuma
-Sanda by Paru Itagaki
-Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine S by Koichiro Hoshino & Akatsuki
-Lupin III: Neighbor World Princess by Monkey Punch, Yosuke Saeki & Keyaki Uchi-Uchi

This thread is to discuss the news, updates, ToC and everything related to Weekly Shonen Champion, discussions or comments that are not about WSC or bring nothing more than a potential derail or heat discussions between members will be stopped/deleted, and also remember, this isn't a "chapter" discussion thread, so avoid making "in depth" discussions/comments about the content of X manga chapter, but if needed, hide under the spoiler tags please.

That's it, good discussions and have fun! :kkthumbs

Koni

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
WEEKLY SHONEN CHAMPION (NEWS AND DISCUSSION)

Welcome to the new thread for news and discussions about the Weekly Shonen Champion magazine!

Shonen Champion is a weekly manga magazine published by Akita Shoten since 1969, despite being the least known in the west between the "big 4" weekly magazines, Champion is one of the most successful shounen magazines in Japan with a long history of successful mangas including many Osamu Tezuka mangas, the last print circulation report was around 250.000 copies per issue. Shonen Champion is part of the shounen demographic focused in the male teenager audience but despite publishing all kind of works it's known for the more "edgy/violent" content and also for the delinquent/yankee series, be traditional or modern/hybrid.

The current line up:
-Saint Seiya: Next Dimension by Masami Kurumada
-Yowamushi Pedal by Wataru Watanabe
-Furutto on Thursday by Masazaku Ishiguro
-Baki Gaiden: Scarface by Keisuki Itagaki & Yukinao Yamauchi
-The Vampire Dies In No Time by Itaru Nonnoki
-Atsumare! Fushigi Kenkyuubu by Masahiro Anbe
-Mairimashita! Iruma-kun by Osamu Nishi
-Appare! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku by Kenji Hamaoka
-Baki-dou by Keisuke Itagaki ()
-Ippon Again! by Yu Muraoka
-Harigane Service Ace by Ara Tatsuya
-Worst Gaiden Guriko by Hiroshi Takahashi & Ryuuta Suzuki
-Shy by Bukimi Miki
-Makai no Shuuyaku wa Wareware Da by Osamu Nishi, Koneshima & Atsushi Tsudanuma
-Meika-san wa Oshi Korosenai by Shouki Satou
-A Girl Who Can't Speak Thinks "She Is Too Kind" by Ichi Yamura
-Yankee JK Kuzuhana-chan by Toshinori Sogabe
-Tougen Anki by Yura Urushibara
-Isekai Chef to Saikyou Boshoku Hime by Takeshi Azuma
-Sanda by Paru Itagaki
-Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine S by Koichiro Hoshino & Akatsuki
-Lupin III: Neighbor World Princess by Monkey Punch, Yosuke Saeki & Keyaki Uchi-Uchi

This thread is to discuss the news, updates, ToC and everything related to Weekly Shonen Champion, discussions or comments that are not about WSC or bring nothing more than a potential derail or heat discussions between members will be stopped/deleted, and also remember, this isn't a "chapter" discussion thread, so avoid making "in depth" discussions/comments about the content of X manga chapter, but if needed, hide under the spoiler tags please.

That's it, good discussions and have fun! :kkthumbs
Okay, I gotta be honest here... I'm not exactly a big fan of this. I know it's been 5 years and all, but it's not like the Champion thread is as frequently updated as the Jump thread. (Neither were the Magazine, Sunday, and Young Jump threads, for the matter.) Nowhere near that. It's usually just the same few people posting info here and there. I'm not exactly sure as to why you did this. I know it's a new year and all, but I'm not sure if I can see a benefit to this as opposed to just making a new pinned message in the old threads each year with the current state of the magazine.

I was waiting for the old Champion thread to reach 100 pages, too...

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dont mind it, and it would have already broken 100 pages if I had not deleted most of my replies in the early pages of the thread.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Okay, I gotta be honest here... I'm not exactly a big fan of this. I know it's been 5 years and all, but it's not like the Champion thread is as frequently updated as the Jump thread. (Neither were the Magazine, Sunday, and Young Jump threads, for the matter.) Nowhere near that. It's usually just the same few people posting info here and there. I'm not exactly sure as to why you did this. I know it's a new year and all, but I'm not sure if I can see a benefit to this as opposed to just making a new pinned message in the old threads each year with the current state of the magazine.

I was waiting for the old Champion thread to reach 100 pages, too...
Simply to reinvigorate the Manga News with fresh new threads for the biggest magazines that were already super old and with at least 100 pages of discussions, Mangahelpers already had a system where threads with 100ish pages would be locked and a new "part" opened. After a turbulent year and as a new mod i thought and planned in the last months and i'm now trying to give a refreshing look for the Manga News and doing some changes so we can get a new start in 2022, and while Champion is the "least" popular between the big weekly magazines, it's a thread with constant weekly posts and content, so i included in the new threads list.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The 1st season of Lupin the 3rd: Neighbor World Princess ended in the Shonen Champion Issue #1. The 2nd season will start in the issue #13 on February 24

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How likely do you guys think Tougen Anki to get an anime announced this year? I know Champion stuff usually takes longer but it seems far bigger than Ippon Again (regularly getting colour pages, sales, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if production companies were more interested in Anki from earlier than they would have been with Ippon which got the announcement a little under 4 years (Anki entering its third year in June) plus it seems like it could be big with the similar themes/style to stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Kemono Jihen.

Other than that I guess Shy is getting in the range it could be possible (I could even see a western company like Netflix or Crunchyroll trying to fund one in hopes of getting another big superhero show although while I like it I don't think it has MHA's potential to get as mainstream) and Atsumare seems way overdue.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like a couple of years ago I would've said it was to early, but with how much overproduction we're seeing in the anime industry, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it did get an anime next year. I don't read it but if that is the case hopefully it gets a decent schedule, cause otherwise that'd suck for the fans.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How likely do you guys think Tougen Anki to get an anime announced this year? I know Champion stuff usually takes longer but it seems far bigger than Ippon Again (regularly getting colour pages, sales, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if production companies were more interested in Anki from earlier than they would have been with Ippon which got the announcement a little under 4 years (Anki entering its third year in June) plus it seems like it could be big with the similar themes/style to stuff like Jujutsu Kaisen and Kemono Jihen.

Other than that I guess Shy is getting in the range it could be possible (I could even see a western company like Netflix or Crunchyroll trying to fund one in hopes of getting another big superhero show although while I like it I don't think it has MHA's potential to get as mainstream) and Atsumare seems way overdue.
Tougen Anki has 73 chapters right now, which already puts in the regular range for a success to get anime adaptations and the manga is already one of the most popular series on Champion, so i think is perfectly plausible that will get a announcement in the second half of 2022, Champion seems a lot more commited to anime adaptations today and for sure they will not sleep on Tougen Anki

If Ippon can get one, Shy can get too but i hope to God that Netflix has no involvement with it. Harigane Service should get a anime too.

Kiaida

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I'm up to date with japanese Shy chapters and the current arc starting in the manga feels like the final one to me, so I'm not sure about anime chances being high. At least it isn't being rushed at all and there's still a lot of plot points to go through, I could see it lasting more than 50 chapters.

I think there's some potential for an anime considering the popularity of other superhero franchises like Hero Academia and Tiger & Bunny, but I'm not sure it would be picked if it's truly ending. But well, I might be wrong and the author comes up with something completely new for the story to keep the manga going.

Blue16

Reaction score
Country
Spain
SANDA color illustration (LCP in WSC #1)

Ihore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

"Ippon" Again! started in 2018, the anime was announced in chapters 130s so a bit over 2 1/2 years.
The author also said on twitter that anime negotiations began at around chapter 40s.

Iruma-kun was the fastest to get anime probably because it is kind of anime friendly and it was popular. Tougen Anki sells more than it did and it is also anime friendly, so i think it should get an anime announcement before chapter 100, so within the range of its 2nd anniversary like Jitsu wa, iruma and Beastars.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

"Ippon" Again! started in 2018, the anime was announced in chapters 130s so a bit over 2 1/2 years.
The author also said on twitter that anime negotiations began at around chapter 40s.

Iruma-kun was the fastest to get anime probably because it is kind of anime friendly and it was popular. Tougen Anki sells more than it did and it is also anime friendly, so i think it should get an anime announcement before chapter 100, so within the range of its 2nd anniversary like Jitsu wa, iruma and Beastars.
40 chapters? that sounds early af for a series that doesn't even sell well or is by a famous author, the editorial or producers must really like the series.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oricon Ranking Top 50 (November 22 - November 28)
NOVEMBER 8 (21 DAYS)

46. Mairimashita! Iruma-kun Volume 24 | 13,124 copies, total 125,019

Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (November 22 - November 28)
NOVEMBER 8 (21 DAYS)

54. Makai no Shuuyaku wa Wareware da! Volume 7 | 12,048 copies, total 100,716
>500. Harigane Service ACE Volume 14 | less than 1,900 copies, 9,926 copies final
OCTOBER 8 (52 DAYS)
355. Tougen Anki Volume 6 | 2,660 copies, total 66,912

30位18150/50位12400/100位8000/200位4200/300位3100/400位2300/500位1900

SOURCE

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, wasn't expecting that whatsoever. Hasn't this series always been one of the magazine's lowest sellers in the current lineup, and has basically never shown any level of growth in all these years?

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
SANDA color illustration (LCP in WSC #1)
Magazine version of Santa color page

Cover of Weekly Shonen Champion Issue #1 (2022)

Blue16

Reaction score
Country
Spain
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yowamushi Pedal S5 new visual.
Official manga account for YowaPeda & Spare Bike (lol)

Vizard

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Genosha

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---