Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Surprise, Surprise. Like I said in the thread, there isn't any new info but this was a fun look into the Conan editors thus far. Regular programming returns next week (though you all knew that.)

Also female editor for Conan. Bit surprised at that but you love to see it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thread up! Last Sunday for 2021 and Mikadono was a strong note to go off on I think. Hirakawa has always had really fun character interactions and this was no different. Shiroyama and Mita was also hilarious this week so the new serials are starting off with great steam. Hope they can keep it up. Also to everyone here, thanks for following along with the thread and whatnot. It's this engagement that keeps me motivated.

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Now that we have the last cover of the year, I decided to look back on the distribution between Manga Covers and Non-Manga Covers (covers with photos of idols, actors, bands etc.) and compare it to the last few years (going by the publication years).

2021:
20 Manga Covers
28 Non-Manga Covers

2020:
29 Manga Covers
17 Non-Manga Covers

2019:
22 Manga Covers
26 Non-Manga Covers

2018:
25 Manga Covers
23 Non-Manga Covers

2017:
26 Manga Covers
22 Non-Manga Covers

So, in 2017 and 2018 it was basically stable with manga covers getting the majority by a small margin, before it reversed in 2019 and the non-manga covers got that small margin majority. For 2020, it went sharply in the other direction again, and now 2021 we were back more heavily on the non-manga side.

I also decided to break down the distribution of manga covers by series for this year:

7 Covers: Detective Conan
3 Covers: Frieren, Komi-san
2 Covers: Yofukash no Uta,
1 Cover: Major 2nd, MAO, Maiko-san, Tonikaku Kàwaii, 62nd Anniversary Group Cover

Observation/Notes:

- To the surprise of no-one, Conan got the most covers. One thing to keep in mind though: Aoyama basically never does color pages for chapters anymore. His last four in-chapter color pages were in 2017 (for Chapter 1000), 2014 (for series' 20th anniversary), 2008 (for a big Shinichi case) and 2007 (for Chapter 600) respectively. So, though Conan takes up a lot of cover space, it doesn't take up any color page space.
- One of the non-manga covers had a model cosplaying as Frieren. I decided to still not count it as a manga cover, but worth mentioning anyway.
- Thanks to promoting the anime, Maiko-san got its first ever Sunday cover, yay! I feel like the series flies a bit under the radar for a series that got steady Shoseki ranks and an anime adaption, but I guess that's understandable due to being very niche.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Not surprising I suppose but it’s airing much sooner than I thought it would.

Final TOC commentary for 2021. It's been quite the ride.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Domoto Yuki (Necromance, Rivnes) started a new romcom manga Aishiteru Game wo Owarasetai in Webry.

Another news, hopefully a good sign. Kusakabe posted 1st chapter of Shirayama to Mita-san on Twitter* and it got good traction. Series alone is getting great reception so I really hope it will stick for longer.

Komi-san on the cover of Super #2.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Today in rather surprising news is…(also the continued reluctance to animate Ranma continues, huh.)

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Not sure about this one... hope it will be a worthy entry into a groundbreaking and legendary franchise, but I can't help but be worried it will turn out to be a soulless cashgrab.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Especially on noitamina. They almost always do single cour stuff (Ranking of Kings is currently 2 cour but before that was Banana Fish back in 2018 and never anything longer. Psycho Pass is also their only show to get more than 2 seasons.

I stand corrected

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

And we're back! Two strong serials back to back. You love to see it. Taifuu may have what it takes to get me to read a sports manga which is the highest praise I can give it. Mikadono had an incredibly good chapter 2, and the rest of the mag brought it's A-game. It's a good time to be a Sunday fan.

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Blue16

Reaction score
Country
Spain