Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion | Page 34 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Sunday - News and Discussion

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
First chapter of Rock A Rock on Webry:

Was a nice read, though I wonder how that moment with the cat will be used over the course of the series.

coldmess

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Isn’t this series successful? Is it canceled or ending naturally?

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I don't think it's getting canceled, it's popular and sells decently for a Sunday series. It also feels like a perfect series to get an LA or anime adaptation sometime in the future.

It's at a point in the story where technically it could end but I don't know, it still has so much potential, and so much of the cast didn't get a lot of screen time to flourish. Maybe it'll get an immediate sequel with Touma graduating from the university, or maybe Wakabi-sensei feels like he did everything he wanted to do.

Losing Shiroyama, Yofukashi, KimiWaru, and Last Karte within 3 months is freaking sad.

Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
The ending announcement was the kick in the ass I needed to continue reading Last Karte and it's quite good. Got that "Sunday" feeling, you couldn't get this in any of the other big shonen mags. Bummed that it won't be a long run but I hope Asayama comes back soon.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Since I've been checking the Webry app lately, I've tried to check current & recent Sunday serializations and put them in some sort of ranking. I can post scores with screenshots to some tables but it would take some time if someone needs a source, lemme know. Website is treated separately but I wouldn't say the scores are that far apart.

Note, I've listed only simulpubs* (1 week delay on them). Mao, Shibuya, Conan, and Aozakura aren't simulpubed on Webry. Those aren't literal places as some series have more spikes in chapter popularity and so on so don't take those that seriously.
Red - ended
Yellow - moved to Webry
Green - new (1st chapters scores are very inflated, so don't mind them that much)

Best Webry Performers (descending ofc):
Sousou no Frieren
Yofukashi no Uta
Mikadono Sanshimai wa Angai, Choroi
Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san
Shiroyama to Mita-san
Utsuranain-desu
Komi-san wa, Komyushou-desu
Ryuu to Ichigo
Red Blue
Ogami Tsumiki
Tonikaku Kawaii
Maou-jou de Oyasumi
Rock a Rock
Chiisai Boko no Haru
Souei Sousho

Major 2nd
Last Karte
Kimi to Warui Koto ga Shita
Tatari
Mizu Polo
Kimi wa 008
Te no Geka
Student No. 0
Tokachi Hitoribocchi Nouen

My feelings towards this. First, Souei Sousho & Chiisai Boku are great manga with potential and it shows that people like them. Hope for their success on Webry but it stings they needed to be moved, still better than an axe.
Student No. 0 had a very good start and then went on to become the worst-performing series next to Tokachi.
Another small note, I can't say what the department is looking for in a score at Webry, as I believe they have more data, but 10k mark in Webry score (which is 👏 literally) looked to be a minimum okayish score, and this is between Mizu Polo that goes over it and Kimi wa 008 which is close to it.

I have also checked some older series, and some other fun or not-fun things are:
Billocators won as the worst-performing simulpubed series.
I feel like Fukui Sei is just plain unlucky, Kakeau Tsukihi was doing more than decently on Webry, but it still got canceled. Yuko-sae felt like a similar story were it felt like it did good enough to get more time but it ended prematurely. They recently published a very short oneshot in Magazine, wishing them all the success.
Itoyan was doing surprisingly well on Webry? From the quickly-canceled series that I've checked, it did the best (not amazing though). Might be one of the reasons we'll see the author back.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since I've been checking the Webry app lately, I've tried to check current & recent Sunday serializations and put them in some sort of ranking. I can post scores with screenshots to some tables but it would take some time if someone needs a source, lemme know. Website is treated separately but I wouldn't say the scores are that far apart.

Note, I've listed only simulpubs* (1 week delay on them). Mao, Shibuya, Conan, and Aozakura aren't simulpubed on Webry. Those aren't literal places as some series have more spikes in chapter popularity and so on so don't take those that seriously.
Red - ended
Yellow - moved to Webry
Green - new (1st chapters scores are very inflated, so don't mind them that much)

Best Webry Performers (descending ofc):
Sousou no Frieren
Yofukashi no Uta
Mikadono Sanshimai wa Angai, Choroi
Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san
Shiroyama to Mita-san
Utsuranain-desu
Komi-san wa, Komyushou-desu
Ryuu to Ichigo
Red Blue
Ogami Tsumiki
Tonikaku Kawaii
Maou-jou de Oyasumi
Rock a Rock
Chiisai Boko no Haru
Souei Sousho

Major 2nd
Last Karte
Kimi to Warui Koto ga Shita
Tatari
Mizu Polo
Kimi wa 008
Te no Geka
Student No. 0
Tokachi Hitoribocchi Nouen

My feelings towards this. First, Souei Sousho & Chiisai Boku are great manga with potential and it shows that people like them. Hope for their success on Webry but it stings they needed to be moved, still better than an axe.
Student No. 0 had a very good start and then went on to become the worst-performing series next to Tokachi.
Another small note, I can't say what the department is looking for in a score at Webry, as I believe they have more data, but 10k mark in Webry score (which is 👏 literally) looked to be a minimum okayish score, and this is between Mizu Polo that goes over it and Kimi wa 008 which is close to it.

I have also checked some older series, and some other fun or not-fun things are:
Billocators won as the worst-performing simulpubed series.
I feel like Fukui Sei is just plain unlucky, Kakeau Tsukihi was doing more than decently on Webry, but it still got canceled. Yuko-sae felt like a similar story were it felt like it did good enough to get more time but it ended prematurely. They recently published a very short oneshot in Magazine, wishing them all the success.
Itoyan was doing surprisingly well on Webry? From the quickly-canceled series that I've checked, it did the best (not amazing though). Might be one of the reasons we'll see the author back.
This is all very ineresting and is kind of in line with how the TOC works in the main magazine. I'm glad it seems like Souei and Chiisai are finding new life on Webry --but yeah they would have been better in the main magazine...It's probably because Mitsuda is a vet, but I wonder why at least with Chiisai that it couldn't have had a bi-weekly serialization like Major 2nd does?

Using MizuPolo and Kimi wa 008 as a barometer then Tatari is doing....okay. I guess it'll scoot up a bit now that some of its immediate competition is gone but that only lasts as long as something else isn't doing better than it.

What's most interesting is Itoyan doing okay-ish. I feel like Komatsu does have potential....for what exactly, I don't know. Though I am looking forward to what the new serial brings.

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Last Karte news is giving me Switch flashbacks. Good sales and potential to go further but it's ending instead.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Issue 20 cover for Magic Kaito. It's the first part of a double spread cover, the following week will have the second part with characters from Detective Conan.
nice one

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sousou no Frieren have a pretty random collab with Unmei no Makimodoshi from CoroCoro

that manga seems to be everywhere recently , is it secretly goated and we don't know because no one in west takes Corocoro seriously lol

Haozz

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Weekly Shoseki Top 500 Third Week (4/1 - 4/7)
71. Yofukashi 20 (+8,150 / 62,929)
189. Sleepy Princess 27 (+3,470 / 30,056)
385. Tonikaku Kawaii 27 (+1,917 / 25,905)

N/a. Last Karte 8 (7,911)
N/a. Ogami Tsumiki 1 (7,221)
N/a. Ryu to Ichigo 15 (5,947)
N/a. Kimi wa 008 30 (5,485)
N/a. Shibuya Near Family 3 (3,595)
N/a. Shiroyama & Mita 10 (3,460)
N/a. Red Blue 9 (1,820)
N/a. Te no Geka 4 — <1,650 / 2 days in Shoseki top 500

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shoseki Top 500 Third Week (4/1 - 4/7)
71. Yofukashi 20 (+8,150 / 62,929)
189. Sleepy Princess 27 (+3,470 / 30,056)
385. Tonikaku Kawaii 27 (+1,917 / 25,905)

N/a. Last Karte 8 (7,911)
N/a. Ogami Tsumiki 1 (7,221)
N/a. Ryu to Ichigo 15 (5,947)
N/a. Kimi wa 008 30 (5,485)
N/a. Shibuya Near Family 3 (3,595)
N/a. Shiroyama & Mita 10 (3,460)
N/a. Red Blue 9 (1,820)
N/a. Te no Geka 4 — <1,650 / 2 days in Shoseki top 500
man is kind sad this sales from Kimi wa 008 the author really cannot replicate the success of Kenocho

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sousou no Frieren have a pretty random collab with Unmei no Makimodoshi from CoroCoro

that manga seems to be everywhere recently , is it secretly goated and we don't know because no one in west takes Corocoro seriously lol
another huge crossover for Unmei no Makimodoshi

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fuck I literally read the first two translated chapters of Student Number Zero yesterday. Hopefully the artist takes the cancellation well enough and comes back to Sunday sometime.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Well, the series was pretty much DoA, sadly. The first volume didn't chart for even a single day on Shoseki Daily, so I'm sure the author has been aware of the series going under for a few months. Hope it was at least a learning experience for them.

Haozz

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
2024 is a crazy year
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

next batch of new series coming soon?