Guide - Welcome! Members seeking to help. Read this first! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Guide Welcome! Members seeking to help. Read this first!

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Welcome to the Translators' Academy!

Your help will reach millions! (Well, actually, probably :p) So thank you very much for being willing to help out!

Here's a short guide to make sure your help doesn't hinder or otherwise cause more harm than help. Jump to the Translators section or Proofreaders section.

To the Translators (or those that know Japanese) helping the Translators.

1) Not sure where to check?
Well the main board (where you are now) is bound to have a few questions that need answering (check those with the "Help" prefix). If you need further info, go ahead and ask the translator for more :). If the forum is all answered then please direct your attention to the Pending Translations.

2) A quick reminder for when you're checking.
Remember you're trying to help, not belittle! So please try to be constructive and avoid any comments that could cause the translator to never want to try translating again. If the translation is FAR from being accurate, encourage them to translate something that has already been translated by a competent translator and to check their work against that until their mistakes are at a minimum. And to then try again.

3) Provide resources that helped you get to that conclusion.
Not that the translator should question your help, but having concrete evidence as to where you got that translation is always appreciated.

4) Finished helping?
Once you've posted your correction, comment that you've done so so that we can change the prefix to Done. Thanks!

To the Proofreaders (or those that know English well) helping the Translators.

1) Not sure where to check?
Well the Request a Full Proofreading Thread is bound to have a few translations that need checking. If you need further info, go ahead and ask the translator for more :). If the forum is all taken care of then please direct your attention to the translations needing proofreading.

2) A quick reminder.
Like the translators checking, your goal isn't to insult the person translating, but merely help them and encourage them to get better. Keep that in mind when commenting.

3) Format.
Since your job will be to go over large amounts of text (for the most part) having a predetermined format will help make things smoother. At the moment I can think of two formats that should suffice. Don't forget to use spoiler tags to reduce the clutter!

-The Lazy translator format. (all the translator has to do is do is copy and paste your work into their translation.) - Recommended :p
Quicker for the translator. You can and should bring attention to your changes by either bolding them or adding a ★(star) or something that they can use Ctrl + F to find and see if they agree with your change.

-The Lazy proofreader format. (The translator has to find the area changed, then copy and paste each change.)
You copy and paste areas that need to be changed with a suggested change.
example: Your going to regret this! -> You're going to regret this!

Last edited by a moderator:

hanayuri

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
do you have to pass the proofreading test to help out ?

bright_kingdom

Reaction score
Country
Japan
im both interested in translating and proofreading. can i sign up?

purpleRei

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i was not directed to the proofreading test. something about i'm still not allowed to do it..or lacking privilege. are there any other test/s available?

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
To the proofreaders helping translators:

Sorry, the Proofreading test project is currently on hold.

Please check the Request a Full Proofreading thread to see if translators have requested any help. Translators' releases with the "needs proofreader" status on MH can be found by clicking on the links. Since translators may already have their own proofreaders, it is good idea to contact translators in person via PM or make posts in Meet the Translators and introduce yourself. If you are interested in joining a group, you may also want to visit Forum: Staff and Project Resources.

Happy Proofreading :)

Last edited:

RanpaRyunosuke

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I'm new to Mangahelpers, and while reading the rules, I came across this page : https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/translators-guide-to-mangahelpers.70783/
Since the original reason I came here was to be a manhwa translator, I tried to access the form that lets you apply to be a translator. But for some reason, after 7 tries, I kept getting the Internal service error page. Is that a broken link, or am I just being impatient?
Thx 4 the help! :confused:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I'm new to Mangahelpers, and while reading the rules, I came across this page : https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/translators-guide-to-mangahelpers.70783/
Since the original reason I came here was to be a manhwa translator, I tried to access the form that lets you apply to be a translator. But for some reason, after 7 tries, I kept getting the Internal service error page. Is that a broken link, or am I just being impatient?
Thx 4 the help! :confused:
We've some issues with the front page we're trying to fix, so it's going to take a bit of time to sort that out. Once it's done, we'll post an announcement so be on the look out that.