Movies - What are your favourite movies of this decade? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies What are your favourite movies of this decade?

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Jot down your favourite movies of this decade, how many you feel comfortable with. Will use peoples' lists as recommendations.

I do need to see more movies from this decade, but here it is (no order):
  • Breath
  • Nocturama
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Certified Copy
  • Phoenix
  • Winter Sleep
  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Last edited:

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Damn, this is the kind of choice that's really hard for me to make because even though there can be "masterpiece"-like films, there can also be very good ones that also managed to reach deep into my core somehow, you know?

But I think I may be able to properly separate them, I think, let's see.

:cookiehand

Unforgettable, favorites, likely to be in my "all-time" top if I were to have such a thing (in no particular order):

- Joker: you could argue that this one is kind of cheat because it's still relatively fresh (saw it 9 days ago), but in my mind there's really no argument here and it's all mostly in part due to Joaquin Phoenix's performance. I already knew he was an incredible actor (see "The Master" if you haven't) but what he does is simply on a whole other level.

- Burning: it's very good, yet not my favorite by the director (recommend seeing all of them, especially Peppermint Candy and Oasis).

- Son of Saul: realistically and deeply haunting, not just due to the subject matter, but also because of how it was shot.

- Long Day's Journey Into Night: I already praised the film enough on the Movie thread, quite the experience from beginning to end (especially the end = last half of the film, around 1h, is done in one take for real, no trickery involved).

- Mandy: I think I've already talked at great lengths why this one was very special to me, but yeah, visuals, OST, everything. Mostly an "experience" above all else.

- An Elephant Sitting Still: also talked much about it (sorry).

- The Great Buddha+: see above.

- Hard to be a God: possibly my 2nd favorite film of all time, right behind Stalker (by Tarkovsky).

- Biutiful: I remember going to see it twice in theaters back in 2004 2010... really striking and emotional.

Curious thing is that 8 out of 9 of those films were seen last year... hmm...
According to my list, I've seen 361 films from this decade, but after looking at them these are really the ones that seem like they're the right/only choice for me.

Again, could be due to what I said, them still being relatively "fresh", but nothing about the rest seems to "pop out".

:cookiehand

And now, some that also struck a chord with me, and are worthy of a mention:

- Parasite: I hesitated in including this one in the above list. It's everything the people are making it out to be, it deserves all the praise and it's a masterpiece as well, I really loved it, but I don't think it's a film that I'll "carry" with me, if that makes any sense.

- Jessica Forever: this is a very curious one because it currently sits at 4,6/10 on IMDb. I really didn't expect to like this one in fact, I was dreading going into the theater to see it, but I'm glad I did. It's obviously not a film for everyone, but if you are open and have a certain sensibility to things, you might enjoy it. It's very "artsy", for sure, but it's how the directors typically do things, they stick to their guns and they go all the way, and I think there's merit in that as well.

- Mr. Long: the film isn't perfect, it has some flaws pacing-wise, but some moments are unforgettable and gut-wrenching. Really want to see more films from this director.

- Suspiria: also mostly an "experience", but it's greatly elevated thanks to many elements namely the OST, visuals, etc.

- Shoplifters: very good and surprising in so many aspects.

- A Ghost Story: also a film that you can only truly enjoy, in my opinion, if you have a predisposition for this sort of sentimental/abstract/depressive thing.

- Thelma: incredible film, perhaps even a masterpiece as well, it did so many little, barely noticeable things that carry tremendous weight if you consider the whole. In that aspect, the editing is simply mindblowing.

- Blade Runner 2049: no need to go over why it's so great.

- Good Time: really surprised me in a lot of ways.

- Harmony Lessons: it's still my favorite film from the director, also the most gut-wrenching as well, I'd say. If you're looking for a foreign drama, it's worth giving this one a shot, I think.

5 of these were seen last year.

:cookiearf

And that's about it, at least for now. I'll take another look at the list and see if I missed some and edit accordingly, but I think this should be it.

I think tomorrow they'll release the programming for the film festival where I saw so many great films last year. Who knows, there might be some on there that could end up on this list as well.

Can't wait :0

Last edited:

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

- Here and the Great Elsewhere
- Hunt for Wilderpeople
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Solar Walk
- Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
- The Wailing
- World of Tomorrow Episodes 1 & 2

Last edited:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Both of you guys have seen way more movies than me I am sure xD.
According to my list, I've seen 1379 movies, but when you consider that last year alone I saw 120, I mean honestly 1379 doesn't seem like a lot :v
It's true that while attending University I didn't have a lot of time, only watched about 30-40 movies per year, but I've been trying to make up for it since last year :)

Having nearly 800 films on my watchlist doesn't really help, either.

- Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Another strange movie. It made me laugh several times, and had a really enigmatic atmosphere)
Funny thing about this movie: when I saw it in theaters with my best friend, I was trying real hard to stay awake because I kept dozing off (not really the film's fault, I hadn't slept much that day).

However, when we saw Cemetery of Splendour (same director) a few days later, also in theaters, she was the one dozing off while I was perfectly fine.

The director was in attendance and I liked something that he said: he acknowledged that his films are slow/not for everyone, but that he saw it as a "compliment" if people were to fall asleep while watching his films (in a theater) because that kinda meant that people are comfortable enough to fall asleep in the presence of his film, in a theater surrounded by strangers.

One of the first films I saw this year was "Tropical Malady", by the same guy. Also strange but weirdly captivating.

Kaili Blues
I'm gonna try and see it very soon, I might even watch it this month! Have you seen Long Day's Journey Into Night?

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
According to my list, I've seen 1379 movies, but when you consider that last year alone I saw 120, I mean honestly 1379 doesn't seem like a lot :v
It's true that while attending University I didn't have a lot of time, only watched about 30-40 movies per year, but I've been trying to make up for it since last year :)

Having nearly 800 films on my watchlist doesn't really help, either.
I suppose it depends on who you talk to/how old someone is, but for an avid fan of cinema, it's probably not a lot, no xD. I am not terribly far off from that in fact. I am at 850 currently. Was expecting a bigger gap haha.
I only recently started watching a large amount of films in the last year or two. My progress is slowing down though since I really only watch them through streaming channels I am subbed to, or choosing to rent (other than going to the theatre a handful of times per year). Naturally, that gets expensive after a while.

Funny thing about this movie: when I saw it in theaters with my best friend, I was trying real hard to stay awake because I kept dozing off (not really the film's fault, I hadn't slept much that day).

However, when we saw Cemetery of Splendour (same director) a few days later, also in theaters, she was the one dozing off while I was perfectly fine.

The director was in attendance and I liked something that he said: he acknowledged that his films are slow/not for everyone, but that he saw it as a "compliment" if people were to fall asleep while watching his films (in a theater) because that kinda meant that people are comfortable enough to fall asleep in the presence of his film, in a theater surrounded by strangers.

One of the first films I saw this year was "Tropical Malady", by the same guy. Also strange but weirdly captivating.
Haha, that does not surprise me at all. With slow movies like that one, I really have to be rested and in the mood for them. I have not seen either of those but I will look into them. Really neat you got to see the movie with the director.

I'm gonna try and see it very soon, I might even watch it this month! Have you seen Long Day's Journey Into Night?
I have not, but seeing it on your list, made me curious and it looks like something I probably would enjoy. That sustained single take for an hour sounds awesome.

Last edited:

oddsend

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Here are my favorite movies of the decade:
1. Your Name
2. Wonder Woman
3. Gone Girl
4. Parasite
5. Coco
6. Weathering with You
7. Us
8. Spider-man Into the Spiderverse
9. Jurassic World
10. La La Land

XZOA

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
In no particular order, my top 10:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
Get Out (2017)
Dunkirk (2017)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
Inception (2010)
Whiplash (2014)
Scott Pilgim vs. the World (2010)
The Lobster (2016)
Attack the Block (2011)

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Honestly this decade was pretty weak for me compared to others.

My top 7 would end up being something like (one film per director)
1. Climax (2019)- Gaspar Noe
2. Tangerine (2015)- Sean Baker
3. The Green Inferno (2013)- Eli Roth
4. Greener Grass (2019)- Jocelyn DeBoer, Dawn Luebbe
5. The Tribe- Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy
6. It Comes- Tetsuya Nakashima
7. Ingrid Goes West (2017)- Matt Spicer

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
This is tough af. :XD I'll follow your cheat and go with 15 then (no specific order)

• Whiplash
  • The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • Inside Llewyn Davis
  • Sing Street
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • The Death of Stalin
  • Her
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Parasite
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Shoplifters
  • The Wind Rises

Films I deem as "favorites" tend to veer toward comedy/feel-good, as you can see. There are certainly films I've rated higher from last decade than these which hit me harder (Tyrannosaur, Black Swan, The Skin I Live In, Call Me By Your Name, Moonlight etc etc etc) but which I wouldn't call 'favorites'.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
In no particular order I'd go with...

• John Wick
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Deadpool
  • Murder on the Orient Express
  • Inception
  • Edge of Tomorrow
  • The Martian
  • Hail Caesar
  • Star Trek: Beyond
  • Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
  • Avengers Endgame
  • Gravity
  • Kong: Skull Island
  • Slow West
  • Mad Max: Fury Road

Obviously, my list is a bit of an odd beast. With a lean toward the more blockbuster type movies because, well, that's what I enjoy. A movie that entertains. And every movie on this list really did that for me.

Last edited:

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Get Out (2017) - dir: Jordan Peele
2. Hereditary (2018) - dir: Ari Aster
3. Prometheus (2012) - dir: Ridley Scott
4. Snowpiercer (2013) - dir: Bong Joon-ho
5. The Social Network (2010) - dir: David Fincher

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - dir: Wes Anderson
7. Baahubali: The Beginning (2015) - dir: S.S. Rajamouli
8. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - dir: George Miller
9. Inception (2010) - dir: Christopher Nolan
10. Birdman (2014) - dir: Alejandro G. Inarritu

Olive00

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
For me the best is Love Actually (2003). I recently watched it again. The script had already been forgotten over time, but when I reviewed it, I remembered almost everything. The film is very enjoyable. It tells us that love does not depend on status, on age, maybe to the same sex, maybe not reciprocal, maybe "for work", maybe in different languages. But it is all-consuming, creative, and without it there is no meaning in life. I would like to mention the role of Hugh Grant, I remember her the most in this film. And also pity Harry's husband, who was deceived. But ... life is life, and everything is shown in the film, so diverse, really occurs in reality, often evoking emotions "cannot be".

Slaynoir

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have crap for taste most of the time, as I hardly watch movies that are not anime. But there are a few I like over all.

However, I do have some I like. (no order at all)

1: Van Helsing 2004
2: Pokemon 3: The Movie 2000
3: The Matrix 1999
4. Warm Bodies 2013
5. Parasyte (LA) 2014
6. Human Lost 2019
7. Kizumonogatari reiketsu-hen III 2017
8. Slither 2006
9. The Ring 2002
10. Heartless 2009
11. The Hallow 2015
12. Pan's Labyrinth 2006
13. Venom 2018
14. Lilo & Stitch 2002
15. Full Metal Alchemist: Conquer of Shamballa 2005

All I can think of for now...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
^most of those are pre-2010, so not from this decade (as the title refers to 2010-2020

Surprised I never answered this thread. Maybe I thought about it too hard. But from the top of my head:

• Mad Max: Fury Road (Might be my favorite action movie of all time!)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Borderline perfect film for my tastes!)
  • The Lighthouse (Such a feat of horror cinema!)
  • Parasite (Such a finely crafted film!)
  • Moonlight (Best movie about identity I think I've seen!)
  • Into the Spiderverse (I love the visuals, and the story is fun to watch again and again. A real comfort film)
  • How to Train Your Dragon-trilogy (Comfort films. Always easy and enjoyable to watch and get moved by Free Willy dynamic of the 2010s)