Question - What are your thoughts on Galand? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question What are your thoughts on Galand?

mrcoffeestuff

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is for a Youtube video, your comment(s) may appear in it

What are your thoughts on his power, personality, appearance, interactions with others, value in the story, favorite moments with him and the Truth?

I loved his introduction, just fucking landed next to our main characters, and decided he needed more space so blew some of the buildings away and slaughtered them

Gladiolus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Role in the story: Easily one of the best antagonists of the manga along with Melascula. He wasn't a very deep character, but was a very fun one and showed how strong the Commandments were respecting Hendrickson and the Holy Knights in his first apeparence. It's a shame he became a joke shortly after his first battle and his death was sudden, but I still like him.

Abilities and powers: Nothing very impressive, he was a mere physical fighter and even his magic was just used to boost his physical stats. I like however how his fighting style compliments Mela's one, being the pure physical guy to her magician-like battle style. His Truth Commandment has hax, but didn't have the chance to use it properly after his first fight.

Personality: Despite being a ruthless warrior, he was also a cool guy who genuinely cared for his juniors (saving Mela and Fraudrin from the Archangels and thanking Gloxinia when he told him the location of Camelot), who makes him sympathetic without giving him a bullshit redemption, staying true to his character until the end. He was also hilarious, and I digged the old veteran side of his character.

Design: One of the best ones of Nakaba. His slim, living armor aspect is cool and badass, and I love how he uses a spear to fight. It makes him very imposing and (in his own way) stylish, despite not having complex abilities.

Relationships: His chemistry of old soldier - snarky youngster with Melascula was hilarious, and I like how, despite how merciless he can be, has a genuinely friendly relationship with his fellow demons.

Favorite moment: His first fight, when he easily beat the Sins and knights of Camelot with ease. Also when he and Mela got drunk in Escanor's tavern.

Overall: One of my favorite characters of the series. He was at the end a hype tool to show how strong the Commanders were, and Nakaba quickly throw him in the trash after all, but he was a good character still, and watching him was a true pleasure.

Last edited:

mrcoffeestuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn, great response! thx for answering all of the particular sections, I will most definitely use your comment

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Like most of the Ten Commandments: an interesting concept with a lot of potential but kinda wasted due to the decisions of the author. Although, I would argue that among the Ten Commandments Galand got the higher end of the stick still. His design and personality were really original, I mean, an alcoholic charismatic spear master living armour, what's there not to like? :XD

His introduction massacring the Sins was really well done IMO. Probably my favourite moment along with his interactions with Melascula. It showed how fearful the Demon Clan who had been hyped so much in the first part of the story could be and at the same time served as an appetizer to show how beastly the other members could be. In that sense, his introduction was well done. His abilities were pretty straightforward and simple: a physical fighter and also a spear master. Together with the commandment of Truth he definitely was a fearsome fighter and a foe to be reckoned with.

Sadly, I feel like that essence was quite lost at the moment that Nakaba made him look like fodder for hyping up Escanor and Meliodas. At that point I thought this was no big deal because you know, there were 8 other members and I thought that maybe Galand could be among the weakest, which turned out to be true, but at the same time, that sense of relief got away the moment pretty much all of the Ten Commandments dropped like flies in the Defense of Liones Arc at the hands of Mel and Escanor once more (which by the way this makes the statement of all of the Seven Deadly Sins being formed to counter the Ten Commandments kinda pointless, but that's another topic).

The duo he formed with Melascula was also pretty interesting. Truth and Faith. I feel like Nakaba could have exploited those two as a duo more, especially their commandments playing some mind games to fuck up their foes with the effects of them. Their interactions when they were drunk were really fun and the way they toyed around with Ban and the others when they were fleeing to Escanor's bar was really good. It felt like humans were nothing more than hopeless little prey for them.

Overall, I would say he was among my favourites of the Ten Commandments. He served his purpose of appetizer well. His design, abilities and personality were really fun and well done. It was kinda ironic that at the end Galand of the Truth got defeated by breaking a promise and thus, lying. It shows that despite being a monster, he's really afraid of dying to the point of breaking his Commandment. He was very loyal and cared about his teammates too. Both traits humanised the character a little bit. I would have liked to have a backstory regarding why he looked like a living armour and to show some moments of his past when he was younger (he was implied to be an old man already, and he was the oldest of the Ten by a good margin). At the grand scheme of things, he wasn't very strong, yet the level of danger he put the protagonists in was way beyond what any other Commandment ever did. Heck, even the Demon King would have liked to have an introduction and a level of danger like his :XD So I've to give him props. Probably my favourite member of the Ten Commandments along with Zeldris.

Last edited:

mrcoffeestuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn, another great comment to use in my video! Thx for spending the time and effort to do write this up;

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Galand’s ability is nothing too impressive when you really think about it but what matters is that it looked impressive. This isn’t a manga where your protagonist are weak with potential and much to learn. The Sins are really good at what they do. They’re the best at it. So Galand made a really strong first impression for the Commandments by beating multiple Sins with little effort. He was a perfect introduction. He even looked good losing. His fight with Escanor was the perfect introduction to the only Sin we haven’t seen yet. This is in addition to his personality. He was threatening and funny. Galand is a character you want to see no matter what he’s doing. It’s fun to watch him fight, gush over a powerful opponent or drink with Melascula. We deserve a side story with Melascula and Galand just being good friends.

Last edited:

TarXan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Best protagonist in the whole series, he actually had the best development, personality & fight sequences

MonsterEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sadly, I feel like that essence was quite lost at the moment that Nakaba made him look like fodder for hyping up Escanor and Meliodas. At that point I thought this was no big deal because you know, there were 8 other members and I thought that maybe Galand could be among the weakest, which turned out to be true,
Actually going by his capabilities, he was actually around the middle of the 10.

Shadowlord123

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Actually going by his capabilities, he was actually around the middle of the 10.
I know, but he was more or less on the weaker side rather than to the strong side of the 10C. I didn't express myself too well there.

MonsterEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know, but he was more or less on the weaker side rather than to the strong side of the 10C. I didn't express myself too well there.
Understandable. Though it kind of sucks the 10C were so uneven. They can more or less be broken down this way.

Strongest are Estarossa, Zeldris, Derieri, and Monspeet.
Then Drole, Gloxina and Galand. (While much weaker magic wise he is quite a bit physically superior to both going all out.
Ending with Greyroad, Melescula and Fraudrin.

MonsterEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I feel like Gloxinia and Drole are stronger than Derieri and Monspeet.
Going by official stats they were not. Which speaks of how massively disappointing Derieri and Monspeets performances where.

OtakuFreak

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Going by official stats they were not. Which speaks of how massively disappointing Derieri and Monspeets performances where.
What official stats? PL?

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m actually confident that Monspeet is the second strongest commandment. I think Derieri might be the fourth honestly.

MonsterEnvy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah the PL puts Zeldris and Estarossa at the highest. Then Monspeet and Derieri. However Monspeet and Derieri kind of had pathetic proformances unlike Zeldris and Estarossa.

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Yeah the PL puts Zeldris and Estarossa at the highest. Then Monspeet and Derieri. However Monspeet and Derieri kind of had pathetic proformances unlike Zeldris and Estarossa.
Honestly, PL's mean absolutely nothing right now unless its a massive difference. (5,000 is nothing).

I just see Gloxinia and Drole as stronger fighters, given their powerful techniques. Derieri's only a threat if she is able to get a combo to a high number and Monspiet is more so unpredictable with his trick star. Other than that, I honestly think they're pretty weaker.

Meliodaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Monspeet definitely would have beaten Estarossa had it not been for Derieri so this would be a case of PL meaning nothing once context is added.

Also I think Derieri would beat Gloxinia and Dolor. It would take way less hits than it took for Tarmiel, Mael and Meliodas. They aren’t that durable. Especially Gloxinia.

MrSchmitty7

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Drole ever bothered to dance he’d easily be second to Zeldris in terms of power assuming his base is actually 50K

Rizaadxn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Galand could have been a great character if he wasn't just used as a hype tool for Meliodas regaining his powers and Escanor. Would have been cool if he had more panel time back in the flashback arc 3000 years ago.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Adding to this, what happened with that scene of Galand remembering Baruja when he was questioning where he is now? That was the indura from the movie and it literally went nowhere. Were they old friends? Was Baruja a commandment at some point? So many questions from Nakaba adding that one panel...

Last edited:

OtakuFreak

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Adding to this, what happened with that scene of Galand remembering Baruja when he was questioning where he is now? That was the indura from the movie and it literally went nowhere. Were they old friends? Was Baruja a commandment at some point? So many questions from Nakaba adding that one panel...
Trust me Nakaba has left a dozen questions unanswered when he finished the manga, it's pretty sad we will probably never get the answer to them.