What clues and hints do we have about the why-man? [Updated] | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

What clues and hints do we have about the why-man? [Updated]

Wookitake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So, I'm proposing a different kind of theory/discussion thread. It's not focused on any theory of some sort. I just want to collect every piece of a clue that we may have about the why-man. For example, as it was Soyuz presentation in the first few chapters without a name.

Obviously, we have spoilers from the latest chapter.

I propose the division of the clues/hints in 2 categories: direct and indirect. Direct ones are related to his known acts. Indirect ones are "theory-dependent", i.e. depends on some connection not yet shown, or at least a bit of more reasoning/extrapolation. Also include any conclusion based on the time-span of the series/petrification/etc, or maybe just some unexplained events.

I'm going to post a few, then you can comment on them and include others.

Direct Clues

- Has access to radio communication

- Knows the Medusa is voice-activated and how it works

- Changes the behavior from Morse code to voice during the time-span of the last arc

- Uses/Has Senku's voice/Senku-like voice
- Uses a synthetic an automated/recorded Senku-like voice

- Communication coming from the moon at regular time period
- Stopped communicating after 2nd global petrification

Indirect Clues

- Unknown man/woman rescued by Taiju when rescuing the petrified people from Perseus: can be related to how the island people have the Medusa. The why-man could have been the one that gifted them the Medusa, or has lost it to then, or any kind of change of possession. Can also be related to the creation of the Medusa, if it's now the one from 3700 years ago (apparently yes given the speed, more on that later)

- The Medusa, being different from the one used 3700 years ago, indicates connection between the why-man and the people from the island

- No signal has been detected by Rei during her time awaken on the station (kind of a direct clue, uncertain territory)
- If is from past time, survived everything that Rei witnessed during the 3700 years

- Senku's scars do not vanish after de-petrification with the new fluid (TWICE)

- Some birds were petrified around the day of the human petrification, all over the world

- Possibly the responsible for sending lots of Medusas to Treasure Island from the Moon centuries ago

- Possibly the responsible for millions of Medusas in Manaus -- sent/built from somewhere -- in the 1st petrification

- Hermit Theory: Medusas sent/Petrification Activated when the world is in danger of something

Last edited:

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Maybe the fact that there was a whole spin off geared towards showing us Byakuya and team's trip to the moon means something? I'd find it hard to imagine all that was done for naught.
A bit like how we got a Kakashi flashback in the middle of another arc within Naruto. Which is what made people put one plus one together and realize that Tobi was actually Obito.
I still think that Rei has something to do with the why man. Just have to wait and see what the connection is.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Maybe we can make this the official Why Man thread :hmm Considering the ongoing arc, or the story since post Treasure Island.

The Rei theory I posted earlier does not work anymore.The spin off was confirmed to be a 'What if' story, it has no correlation to the actual story.

A random theory that has been floating around in my head today. The Why Man could be someone who only ever acts when the world is in danger of something. They already talked about this in the manga by questioning the petrification's healing effects, and whether the initial wave of petrification was actually an attack.
How I see it, basing this on the scene in chapter 192 when the world was petrified again, it was while both the Americans and Kingdom of Science were fighting. So the petrification was done as a way to prevent the fighting from carrying on. A similar case could have occurred in Treasure Island's past (The one with Matsukaze). He said people were waging war around the same time that the device started raining down from heaven. The device might have been meant to stop the in fighting, but instead it put a stop to it.
It could explain why Ishigami Village has never had Medusas rain down on it. The village itself has had a peaceful history. The only dark side to it has been the famine which killed the villagers (Which is an external non factor), and the exiled people. And even then these did not disrupt the village harmony to the point where in fighting/civil wars kicked in.

TL: DR -The Why Man is a sort of regulator to earth. A bit hard finding the right word to describe this phenomenon :sweatdrop

@BD_Beno Do you have any theories on what the Why Man is? Since we also recently found that huge pile of Medusas on Manaus as well :nod I forgot to ask your opinion on what it could be. A clone, time traveled Senku, parallel universe Senku etc :XD

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I have lots of updates to do 😂

. They already talked about this in the manga by questioning the petrification's healing effects, and whether the initial wave of petrification was actually an attack.
Which chapter? I don't remember this.
I understood the following reasoning though! I quite agree with it.

He said people were waging war around the same time that the device started raining down from heaven. The device might have been meant to stop the in fighting, but instead it put a stop to it.
I just don't agree with this. As far as I understood it, the fighting began because of the Medusas. I need to re-read it.

Overall, I agree that maaaaaybe the WM is actually someone trying to save the Earth, not trying to attack, slave, etc. But the amount of war that it caused on Treasure Island was too much. Its methods are kind of dumb then.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Which chapter? I don't remember this.
At the start of the story, after Senku recovers from his neck being broken by Tsukasa.

I just don't agree with this. As far as I understood it, the fighting began because of the Medusas. I need to re-read it.

Oh, I think you are right :hmm The island did seem to be relatively peaceful before. Then the petrification devices rained down on them, then the fighting starts.
Well there goes my theory :lmao

But the amount of war that it caused on Treasure Island was too much. Its methods are kind of dumb then.
It was just that one era though, no? After Matsukaze destroyed all the petrification devices, and one was left behind, the war seemed to end.
Then maybe there is a link with the population? Like once the population exceeds a certain limit, Why Man acts. To me, Treasure Island always seemed well off compared to Ishigami village. So the population might have grown by a lot.
Actually, I think that is what Senku is trying to watch for currently. In the past few chapters, he is numbering the bottles of the revival fluid. The latest chapter showed bottle number 75, which means that they might be intending to keep the population under a certain number.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
@BD_Beno Do you have any theories on what the Why Man is? Since we also recently found that huge pile of Medusas on Manaus as well :nod I forgot to ask your opinion on what it could be. A clone, time traveled Senku, parallel universe Senku etc :XD
Ah the biggest mystery, right now we got some puzzle pieces, but still hard to even know if they're on the right spot on the board. First, I do agree with the monitoring of Earth. Science being the core focus, I think the reason for petrification has do with stuff like overpopulation, environmental health, and so on.

As for the culprit, man it's hard to say rn 🤔 . Here's one I thought of while watching Vivy. Say around 60 years in the future from the initial petrification, the planet was in dire a state, global warming, radiation, and conflict over resources. Senku makes Super Senku AI and crafts the medusa(I don't think it's origin is extraterrestrial). Then using Quantum, sends the AI back in time to petrify the planet. AI gets to moon using medusa stealth and mass produces it using 3D printing. Mass drops them to ensure high success rate and hacks local broadcast to activate. However, why would Senku send the AI back during his high school year, when the AI has no intention of letting Senku and co live freely. He could just sent it back any random date to save the planet. So, I think future Senku's goal was to have Senku eventually revive and be able to rebuild civilization with a reformed planet. But, the AI went full Ultron and concluded humans are the problem and the status quo should be petrification.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Ah the biggest mystery, right now we got some puzzle pieces, but still hard to even know if they're on the right spot on the board. First, I do agree with the monitoring of Earth. Science being the core focus, I think the reason for petrification has do with stuff like overpopulation, environmental health, and so on.

As for the culprit, man it's hard to say rn 🤔 . Here's one I thought of while watching Vivy. Say around 60 years in the future from the initial petrification, the planet was in dire a state, global warming, radiation, and conflict over resources. Senku makes Super Senku AI and crafts the medusa(I don't think it's origin is extraterrestrial). Then using Quantum, sends the AI back in time to petrify the planet. AI gets to moon using medusa stealth and mass produces it using 3D printing. Mass drops them to ensure high success rate and hacks local broadcast to activate. However, why would Senku send the AI back during his high school year, when the AI has no intention of letting Senku and co live freely. He could just sent it back any random date to save the planet. So, I think future Senku's goal was to have Senku eventually revive and be able to rebuild civilization with a reformed planet. But, the AI went full Ultron and concluded humans are the problem and the status quo should be petrification.
Ok, first of all lemme say your set is freaking incredible man :hearts The dancing Emilia in the signature is such a treat, wow.

Vivy is from this season, right?I really should check it out :hmm Btw, future Senku is also a theory I REALLY like. I just think it would work with the story somehow. Considering time travel/Science/Physics tend to be related in a way. I feel like it can be worked into the story in a way that just works.

Orion

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, first of all lemme say your set is freaking incredible man :hearts The dancing Emilia in the signature is such a treat, wow.
Thanks :D, EMT :blush, I remember your set as well :hi5 . There's a full video of the dance, Emilia'd. Perfection.

Vivy is from this season, right?I really should check it out :hmm Btw, future Senku is also a theory I REALLY like. I just think it would work with the story somehow. Considering time travel/Science/Physics tend to be related in a way. I feel like it can be worked into the story in a way that just works.
Yep, Vivy is this season. Wit doing work man, great animation, visuals, music, interesting story, and of course Vivy herself. The writer, Tappei, is the same for Re:Zero.

Yep, that's my line of thought, it would fit and if that's the way it goes, really looking forward to how Inagaki depicts it.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm not quite buying yet the Future Senku idea. OK, they are already warping science with the petrification and so on, but the only hint about Senku -- besides his protagonism -- was the voice. Not even the petrification scar can be used, because Xeno's has persisted as well.

I wanted at least more hints about it.

Midak

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I'm not quite buying yet the Future Senku idea. OK, they are already warping science with the petrification and so on, but the only hint about Senku -- besides his protagonism -- was the voice. Not even the petrification scar can be used, because Xeno's has persisted as well.

I wanted at least more hints about it.
Personally, I have my doubts on the future Senku theory as well.
One of the main reasons is what Inagaki said in this relatively recent interview at 1:17.

While it is true that the petrification will not be stricly scientific, time travel seems way too much for me.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm getting a strong whiff of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's whole "humanity's technological development will grow exponentially, threatening all life everywhere, so I have taken it upon myself to seal humanity in a prison it can't escape while also mostly preserving it" central arc.