Question - What did Mikasa mean by "not again"? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question What did Mikasa mean by "not again"?

ufnovaes

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm now reading all the chapters again and I picked something I have not noticed before:
Two times where Mikasa puts her hand at her head and says:
"This again..." like she felt something different.

Any theories?
Maybe something along the memory wiping thing?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Interesting! I didn't notice that, but each time I just figured it was her remembering the trauma of losing her family as a child. It could be referring to memories she's keeping to herself that everyone else had wiped though. That would be an interesting twist for later.

ufnovaes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yeah, when I read each chapter I didn't make much of it too.
But now I'm reading all again it really seems like something is up.
The scene is set the same way both times: her eye is shown like she's dizzy or something and she says "ah... that again".
It's really suspcious, I mean.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Mikasa should be immune to the memory wipe. And even then the only one that can do it is eren. I think it simply refers to her once again being about to loose eren. To once again having to rescue a kidnapped eren from shifters.

ufnovaes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I know Ackermans are supposed to be immune, but it too suspcious (cos I can't think of another word) to have represented that scene in that exact same way both times.
If it's regarding the lost of her family and such why is she holding her head? Like she felt something.
I'm calling it!
There's something up here. I don't know what, yet.
Maybe her memory is not being wiped per se, so far we don't even know if they can really "wipe" memory, they could alter it and she will still remeber the altereds timelines and maybe it's causing that feeling in her head.

Last edited:

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
She has some supernatural power.
That headache isn't the only thing weird if you consider the following tw scenes.

I show you first, you tell me what you see.

ufnovaes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
You do got a point here.
Eren does not say a word to her and even so she reads him everytime.
You have a keen eye!

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's almost as if she can read his mind.
She's reacting as if he spoke directly to her.

Furthermore, "this again" posted by the OP is rather....peculiar.

We do have all these Norse references,
The one that alwys intrigued me the most was that the Human World, Midgard, the world surrounded by Walls in the myths is also an Island in a large ocean where Jormungandr lives, the giant snake eating it's tail representing the cyclism of things in the Norse World.

I always wondered how Mikasa so suddenly shifts from a meek and weak girl to gaining such a power boost and killing as if she's trained for it.

Last edited:

ufnovaes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't really remeber which chapter it happens, but Levi asks Mikasa if there was some point that she felt as if something had awaken inside of her, and she responds that she had (I think that's that moment on you post). He then proceeds to say that Kenny states that at some point he felt the same, and so did Levi himself.

So this is for me what relates the Ackerman to the berserkers in norse mythology.

Last edited:

Haze

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Mind-link/Mikasa being capble of reading Eren's thoughts?

Was going by the 70th chapter of the manga and I must've had been naive on my first run. Anyway,I came across many things on this re-run,and realized how I had completely missed out on more than half the actual stuff going on last time.
One thing that really struck me was the moment when Eren starts spacing out into his thoughts,and Mikasa somehow seems to notice him pondering through his painful memories, followed by a flashback of Grisha apologising to her out of the blue.
Here's the scenes for reference.

Nutritional bread?Don't think so. There's definitely something fishy going on between them that Eren isn't aware of,and Mikasa's devotion at this point seems to be something more than just a payback for their childhood incident. Also,she definitely seems to have a secret with Grisha that Eren doesn't know of and Mikasa's character more than just a strong Ackerman protecting Eren.Could it be her concern for Eren is actually for an objective far greater than just her compassion towards him?Well,discuss away.Whatever be it,this seems really fishy to I,and Isayama definitely seems to be planning for something we haven't predicted at this moment.

Last edited:

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
^agreed
I've also been thinking that Mikasa knows "what's up", and she may be the one holding back Eren's memories, intentionally (or not).