Favorites - What do you love about NPOT | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites What do you love about NPOT

Fuuji Genichiro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
i personally only read this manga for fuuji, atobe and kaido (yukimura is okay)
but now i have one less reason to like this manga, i wanna hear about the things others like (which konomi probably killed for me) about this manga

SetsuTheYena

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I love NPOT for the characters. Pretty much the same reason why I started out with POT in general.

I love mangas with a huge and diverse cast of characters. I have always loved sports manga for this, because there often is a very big cast, due to the main team and then opponent teams. I have always enjoyed it each time a new team and characters were introduced in POT, so of course I sticked around for NPOT too and is always curious to get to know the new characters more.

I am actually not that much into the matches. Sure, they're fun enough to watch etc. but I'm really not into the technical stuff. How this and that serve works, what does that move do and the actual tennis that's going on. I much more enjoy the chapters outside matches, like the "Prince of Pillowfights", "Prince of Flirting" (God, I can't wait to see that one animated) etc. episodes and chapters. They just give me a much better chance to get to know the characters more, rather than just being the next opponent the other team needs to beat.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This is both a good and at the same time very difficult question - I feel like I really have to say "almost everything." By now, this series has probably given me hundreds of hours of thinking and discussion material and coming up with explanations and theories is great.

I'm also a big fan of the art and... I'm not sure what you'd call... panel composition or something? For instance, Fuwa's forehand is one of my favorite moments of the OVA just because of the swing motion and then there's stuff like Tezuka's backhand and volley in the team shuffle that is really nice to look at.

As for characters, I certainly have preferences, but at least as far as the more major ones are concerned, there's no one I really dislike. I also get more interested in them as the matches progress.

Anera

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I agree with Featherwolf, the wide range of characters is impressive. They all have their own personalities and chara design, it's rare when two characters are really alike. You can make the difference pretty easily between them and their techniques help too. (even though some of them have similar playstyles) Furthermore, the characters are all endearing in a way. I don't like them all but it's more a kind of indifference when I "don't like" a character. For instance, I don't really like Byoudouin's personality but I can't really tell I don't like him either. I think he's a good character in some way, just not the kind I usually like but not a permanent odious character imo. Could I tell about a character I really don't like in PoT/NPoT ? I'm not sure.

Of course, the characters are great but to be honest, if I didn't like the matches, you might not see me here. :XD Imo, I read (N)PoT because it's a manga about the sport I like the most. So, of course the matches must be interesting as well and all the possibilities Konomi has created are really great, despite all the negative reviews on the fact (N)PoT is not realistic. I don't care, I love it and that's all. I love the tension, the rivalry between some characters and the HSers are so cool, really. I must confess my new love for Tokugawa btw.

To conclude, the drawing. Well, it's important for each manga I read. (when I don't like the drawing, I don't read it, it's simple)

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
A similar thread was already started with the same type of question: "What got you into PoT?"

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The question is different enough to warrant its own thread.

Vanillaicecream

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
For me, I started to watch POT was because I was amazed by the 1st episode.
It was when Ryoma showed a cool volley move to his opponent that got me surprised.

Here's what I like the most in NPOT:
Special moves and New characters being introduced.

as for the scene in NPOT:
Tokugawa made sea weed head shit his pants. hahaha

as for characters in NPOT, Tokugawa and Tanegishama.

meowmachine

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the artwork. The characters are really well drawn and the racquets have incredible detail.

I like the characters. There are so many characters and they are all doing something.

I like the tennis. It feels like a fighting manga, but with higher artwork quality than most fighting manga.

I like the devotion to detail. Most characters have a racquet model, preferred string tension, and shoes. The characters move into the same poses when hitting their shots. There is a history for most characters. And then there's crazy stuff like Atobe parachuting to school.

Asclepius

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Right now? Nothing.
No Kikumaru, no loving.
But i still follow it cause my second, third, etc favorites still appear.
And i will always hope to see the Golden Pair back in action.
:gp

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I like it because the OP special move being shown, I guess. And how people overcome that move.

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
More screen time for the more interesting characters instead of the bore that were Seigaku.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
That's interesting. Would you rank SPoT higher than PoT then?

Philia

Reaction score
Country
Joker
That's interesting. Would you rank SPoT higher than PoT then?
I agree with Zoro's point. But still PoT's story line was much better than SPoT's. I often get the feeling that Konomi-sensei is clueless about what to do with the manga.

The only thing I love about NPoT is the wide range of characters. Other than that NPoT is kinda boring. And I haven't been following it as much as I used to.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
But still PoT's story line was much better than SPoT's. I often get the feeling that Konomi-sensei is clueless about what to do with the manga.
Explain because I completely disagree, personally. The overarching stories are very similar, it's becoming top of the nation in PoT vs becoming top of the world in SPoT. But I feel that SPoT definitely has more subtleties that become significant when looking back and that explain a lot of what people seem to think is Konomi pulling something random out of his ass. I can't say I remember anything like that being the case in PoT pretty much ever (although PoT was a lot more straight-forward too, so there was not much of a need in that regard).

Whether or not SPoT is a better story PoT is certainly debatable, but I strongly contest the claim that SPoT is less thought-out or that Konomi doesn't know what he wants to do with it.

Philia

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Explain because I completely disagree, personally. The overarching stories are very similar, it's becoming top of the nation in PoT vs becoming top of the world in SPoT. But I feel that SPoT definitely has more subtleties that become significant when looking back and that explain a lot of what people seem to think is Konomi pulling something random out of his ass. I can't say I remember anything like that being the case in PoT pretty much ever (although PoT was a lot more straight-forward too, so there was not much of a need in that regard).

Whether or not SPoT is a better story PoT is certainly debatable, but I strongly contest the claim that SPoT is less thought-out or that Konomi doesn't know what he wants to do with it.
Well PoT had a straight story line. Kantou tournament then the nationals. Things went subtly. Nothing much to question about.

In SPoT it's very random. We never got to see 1st court and 2nd court looked nothing special too. While 3rd and 5th court looked good. No one from 2nd court is relevant anymore. Then G10 members appeared out of nowhere. While their order is questionable too. Then player changing their country like changing TV channel. Makes very little sense.

Although it has been good in the last few months though. WC should be interesting.

Anera

Reaction score
Country
France
Well PoT had a straight story line. Kantou tournament then the nationals. Things went subtly. Nothing much to question about.
Subtly ? It was not imo because it looked very predictable. :XD Except some line-ups, it was easy to guess what would happen at that time, I remember. In NPoT, it is also in a way but there has been much more surprises. But it's a matter of point of view.

In SPoT it's very random. We never got to see 1st court and 2nd court looked nothing special too. While 3rd and 5th court looked good. No one from 2nd court is relevant anymore.
Well, isn't it because the MSers just were really strong and their growth were impressive ? Since they were not that weak compared to the HSers of the 2nd string, such a difference at that time doesn't really surprise me. And it was obvious imo that only Tokugawa, Irie and Oni were going to make it to the 1st string. Although I regret the absence of the 1st court in general, I don't think they would have been really useful in the end.

Well, seems like our different point of views comes from the fact we didn't expect the same things for the scenario. x)

Then G10 members appeared out of nowhere. While their order is questionable too. Then player changing their country like changing TV channel. Makes very little sense.
Their order is questionable ? Why ? :hmm I half agree with your last point, but since it seems logical that Tezuka and Ryoma joined their current teams, I don't complain. Actually, Ryoma being in the US team adds some future interesting twists in the situation. And if it allows Konomi to develop the US team, it's fine with me. :smile-big

And I agree with you : the WC is going to be so much more interesting than what we've seen until now.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm...what I love about NPoT...

1) Characters

The wide variety of diverse character personalities are definitely what makes me continue reading. The matches have gotten so absurd at this point that I honestly just view these tennis matches as Personality A vs Personality B.

2) Design

The art style is probably one of the best around, and Konomi has only gotten better with time. I remember years and years ago I posted an Atobe comparison picture at some point, showing how much Konomi improved since the Kantou arc, and the improvement was blatant.

-----------------------------------

If I could articulate what Philia is trying to say, it may make more sense to all of you, because I tend to agree with him...

The major difference between PoT and NPoT is simply build. Remember back with me, before Kantou. There was this guy we meet. A mysterious, confident, powerful player who became the captain of his own team. A rival to Tezuka, whom we know to be the best. His name is Tachibana, but we haven't seen him play yet. We get glimpses here and there of his true abilities, but we never actually see them. Him and Tezuka almost have a match, but it never happens. "I can't wait to see him play one day," we all say. There is another guy, who is a complete jerk, bullying people on the tennis courts with his brute of a side-kick. He turns out to be a rich snob that also happens to be a Tezuka-class player, and a captain of his own team. His name is Atobe. "I can't wait until our team shuts him up, but it doesn't look like it will be easy," we all say. As we look at Tezuka play against Atobe, we see the champions, Rikkaidai, watching in the distance. The man in the black cap, supposedly the strongest of all. We know nothing of him, other than the fact he is fearsome. "I can't wait to see what they are capable of," we all say.

What PoT1 did right was building the suspense. We learn a bit about every character before we are playing against them. We even see them playing against other teams, simply for the sake of learning what they're capable of. PoT2 is quite different than this. We meet characters and are almost instantly thrown into matches with them, leaving little time to build any kind of suspense or desire to actually see the match in the first place. I may be wrong, but I think this is what Philia is getting at.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think Konomi is playing to build suspense as he can, like how he shows Volk or QP or Camus ahead of time.

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
Like the fact that the main characters lose a match and beating players they shouldn't at point in the story.

ybr99

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the artwork is amazing and I like almost all the characters. The plot is also interesting. I think that the moves are getting a little to supernatural but everything else is great.