Discussion - What is the best way to learn Japanese ? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What is the best way to learn Japanese ?

jmangeo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Peru
I agree with illusionsfoool, "it'll be difficult because you won't know the logistics of conjugation and things like that" Thats the point. In order to explain those doubts is needed contact with japanese speakers in forums or other side.

Im looking forward finding a site like that.

Haine Asakura

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd say it's best to just go to the country--or a place where it's used regularly, and just live there, that way, you'll very much have to learn it.

When I moved here, I learned the language in 3 or so months, because I was surrounded by it, and had to speak it to get anywhere.

tEchIe

although I don't speak any Japanese, I find that other then immersion, the best method for acquiring any language, is a proper uni-grade academic course.

I'm not talking about some fake Language-Academy, I'm talking about a full linguistics\eastern studies department of a university; theirs is the finest, most comprehensive and least inefficient programs.

most universities allow non-enrolled students to listen-in during lectures and classes, but if you're not able to stick to lectures, I suggest you at least check out the course material, university programmes are build by experienced professors and are approved by a board, so the books that are recommended by them should be the best for learning the subject...

try to understand that uni courses unlike self-teach books, or Learn Japanese in a Week courses, are build so that by the second or third year students will be able to read, write and possibly talk the language for academic purposes, this means fluidly reading through real material and when writing or talking, being able to keep to proper diction and grammar...

Japanese especially has a very complicated writing system that you'd better learn from the best sources... hell, even the spoken language is so diverse with different dialects and pronunciations that having a sound, well build programme is essential to really learning the language...

sugariro

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
reading Japanese books/comics/dramas/animes…… all sorts

RisaChan

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're a beginner, I would suggest for you to take a class. Honestly, it is rather enjoyable and if you are keen at learning languages, it's an easy A (if you are in college.) Take the class for about a year to formally learn all the grammar, crucial vocabulary, etc...
Then, try to immerse yourself in the language by listening to music, watching dramas, reading manga (another enjoyable activity), conversing with Japanese friends, etc... When immersing yourself through these activities, be sure to study the vocabulary, slang, sentence structures and others. You will learn quickly!
After all this, the BEST thing you can do is study abroad in JAPAN~!
I learned more in the 5 months I was there than the one year I spent studying it at school. If you get the chance, DO IT! I basically 'wasted' time there since I didn't earn much credits towards my degree, but I will never regret it. Also, if you really want to learn Japanese, I suggest studying somewhere other than Tokyo. I know... it is exciting, but you can get by speaking English. Now, if you were in Shikoku, I HAVE to speak the language.
Hopefully, that helps ~ :tem

etineski

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think its best to learn from a language school, if you intend to go to live in Japan. My friend is studying advance now, cause he will be living in Japan next year. He is mixed half filipino and half japanese. He is always in and out of Japan, and he knows how to speak since he converse with his relatives. But he said its best to learn it in school and review afterwards.

Arth

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd say a 19yr old sexy girl as a personal tutor.
Listen to the wise advice :XD

But really, a personal tutor or classes would probably be the best way to learn any language.
The key is to be able to put whatever you learn to use, by either listening/speaking/reading/writing it.

Try and get a Japanese friend, and get him/her to exchange emails with you about what you learned last lesson, or anything you want to write/read about.
And also talk/listen to him/her in Japanese ^^

Good luck learning Japanese :tem

argetlam87

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Yes, i think a personal tutor is the only way available to learn sach an hard language...

boemshiika

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i started learning it 2 months ago and when i tried memorizing the alphabet i thought it was going to be impossible and then i found 2 websites that helped me out allot.http://www.japaneseclass.jp
http://www.guidetojapanese.org
one helps me memorize kanji/vocabulary, and the other helps me with the grammar.

things started making sense all of sudden and before i knew it i was reading raws. im not there yet but i at least under stand some of whats going on.

the only downside was my exams suffered. i failed one of 'em. but hey who can say they know 5 and a half languages:P.

so once you finish your exams start working on your Japanese. and in 6 months you should be a semi-translator translating and reading your favorite manga.

Kanako-chan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
For my part, i've bought a book for grammar, and started with grammar in romanji.
As grammar is kinda easy toward french grammar, soon after I started learning writing system and words. I asked my dad for ajapanese / french dictionnary but, doesn't work it's really poor.

I found a wonderfull online dictionnary online, I'm learning a lot of things with it, even some expressions.

So, I read, I watch and I have this dictionnary open all the day long.

I do think the best way to learn a langage is first to be passionate with the culture. Not only manga or animes. Yes I watch, I read, and I even tl, but, through animes and manga I'Ve discovered a lot of japanese culture, like a part of shintou, ancient stories and else. Now, my next step is trying to put a hand on book for kids with japanese fairy tales and get even more culture. It's I think, the best way.

Sincerey,

Kanako

Alex Miyamoto

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Italy
To learn well indeed it should go in Japan and to be us ten years.

Syphilias

Reaction score
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/bumnumba1

He is an amazingly good teacher despite his mouth and drinking habits...

The best way to learn Japanese is to get a notebook and COMPLETELY fill it out with EVERY SINGLE HIRAGANA and KATAKANA before you even ATTEMPT to learn the language. You will need to learn your hiragana in order to read manga on MH.

Once you've mastered your kana, slowly do the same thing with kanji you see in manga. Eventually, after you have read a few volumes of manga, you'll be able to read it the same way you do in English. That is, without having to get the dictionary out for every word. Just read and ENJOY the manga!

I also recommend listening to Japanese music, watching Japanese TV/Anime, and going to Japanese chat rooms or even better, finding a Japanese speaker to talk to in real life. Work at a Japanese restaurant, GO TO JAPAN!

Total immersion.

Dr.Robotnick

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think that you can learn japanese studyng or wathing A LOT OIF ANIME abd cath some words of someone chapter.Becouse i learn few words of Japanese wathing things like Reborn! o bleach o naruto o some anime(doesen'd matter the anime xD)

duchess of dork

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i think learning the sentence pattern comes in first.. anyone can translate the words later on, but the context is more important..the particles placement is the most indicative of the context

stelok

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Marry a Japanese girl who can teach you Japanese?:D

durendal

Reaction score
Country
China
Usually, when taking formal lessons, you will learn how to speak formally. But reading manga and watching anime will teach you how to speak colloquial terms or slang.

Hyper_Wolfy

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
China
watch japanesse Anime.
Listen to cd i brought. books and talk some like me.

Eshvoide

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been taking manga... and trying to translate them. Make sure it has furigana (those hiragana and katakana by the kanji). I mostly use anime to help me with my pronunciation. Currently my progress isn't really that good.

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well, smart.fm got some insanely awesome japanese courses for people who'd like to understand the basics of the japanese grammar, the endings, compositions and collaborations for both hiragana, katakana and the romanji version of Japanese.

If someone would like, I can give you some links to great courses.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You could always search on Youtube there is a lot of people posting Language videos and teaching.

Also like some people have already stated, you can learn from watching anime.

Although it won't help you with the writing. You will be able to understand some of the conversations.

I think listening to Japanese music will help as well.