Discussion - What is the deal with hawk? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What is the deal with hawk?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Hawk, that magnificent and potentially delicious pig.... What is up with him? So far the manga has given a pretty ambiguous explanation about his origins. We know he has a mother and we know meliodas met him right after the incident which made him infamous in britania. Meliodas said that hawk was just there when he woke up. So... why would hawk just be there? Why would he then proceed to accompany meliodas? Is there more to hawk? Perhaps there is something to his delusions of grandeur?

Is there a chance that he has some relationship to another sin? Perhaps he simply has to keep an eye over meliodas? Or is he perhaps related to meliodas' sacred treasure? For some reason I can't help but think there might be a relationship there. What made me really suspicious is the fact that hawk does not remember the treasure. Meliodas said he sold it for money to buy the bar however if that was true then wouldn't have hawk seen that happen? Well, hawk did not seem to know about the sacred treasures to begin with but if meliodas had a weapon he sold then hawk should have been there.

Any other ideas as to why hawk just happened to be there when meliodas awoke?

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Yes, I have been wondering about that. To me he was the main suspicious villain. It's very strange that he were just there. Now, I don't find weird that Hawk doesn't remember the treasure, because maybe he didn't know that was Melioda's treasure. What I find really weird is that Meliodas would have sold his treasure. I mean, he did it to be able to open the bar to get info about the other sins. Being a treasures what it is, it's a high price to that what he paid only for the possibility to gather information.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I don't think Hawk is really a villain. But even if I liked the character at first, I find that his pride statements have become a bit annoying. But yeah maybe it is explain by the fact that he was once really powerful and transformed into a talking pig. But then why make a secret of it ?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Another weird thought, what was the first thing we ever saw about hawk? He was eating lots of crappy leftovers... almost like a glutton. What if hawk is the pig sin of glutony in disguise? It would be kinda weird that meliodas would fail to see through the disguise. It would be somewhat consistent with hawk's random unjustified claims of power.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
If Hawk is some sort of mystery then I am 100% sure that Hawk is not a villain. Hawk is very loyal to Meliodas and (s)he protects Elisabeth at his/her best.

Hawk is a curiosity, it is a talking pig and the fact that Hawk can talk means that there is some rational, intelligent and emotional being in it. I can not tell who Hawk is and how Hawk ended up with Meliodas but maybe Hawk's role will be played out once all sins are gathered. I think Hawk is some sort of guidance for the sins later on

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Hawk must havean interesting backstory but I don't think he is a villain. What is most surprising is that there is a lot of mystical creatures in NNT world but people are always surprised to see him talk. His mother don't talk too, maybe he has been victim of a spell or something.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I said "Hawk the main suspicious villain" as an hyperbole that points how harmless he is. How could someone as tender as him be a villain? I hope someday he has some real power....

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
**toby appears and groinkicks ukimix**

Well, hawk being a bad guy seems to much of a stretch IMO too. I mean, what would be his role? If he was a spy there would not be a need for the holy knights to look for him. If he was a bad guy waiting for something to happen it wouldn't make sense for anyone to be hunting for him as they would be in the way.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
everybody felt under my sharingan illusion

I predict the Pig clan exists, and Hawk is its exiled prince... :mono

Last edited:

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
and maybe the GUILD of LEFTOVERS is real hahahahah

there's no doubt that Meliodias saved Hawk a long time ago and now follows him anywhere either Meliodias saved Hawk and the big pig that carry the bar from poachers or Hawk is dying of hunger and Meliodias fed him leftovers hahahaha

Samui

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
We are aware of that moment, the issue is that it is massively unclear to put it mildly. All he said was that he met hawk shortly after awakening in that whole which is not really much to go on and leaves plenty of room for speculation.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Athur's nephew Gawain supposedly is also referred to as Gwalchmei referring to a Hawk.
Called the Maiden's Knight, the champion of Women.

Wonder if that comes in.

Last edited:

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
don't know if it's of any importance...but hawk sense of smell goes a lot farther than just smelling food...

very last panel...
maybe,hawk and his mother are drawn to holy knights and/or sins....hence them finding meliodas(speaking of which,where was this hole and why didn't the holy knights take him into custody?whomever knocked out the cap'n must have moved him away from the battlefield...)
we see hawk sniffed out the holy knight and we've also seen that his mother sniffs out good areas to collect info on the sins...
as far as talking...didn't someone mention that they asked for a talking pig as a gift....:headscratch

Last edited:

GingFuriksu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another thing that I'm just throwing out there. Why does Ban call him " master " ? Has anyone noticed that ?

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another thing that I'm just throwing out there. Why does Ban call him " master " ? Has anyone noticed that ?
ban is a troll...thru & thru...he's immortal :true
he hears everything...even hawk's boast...remember when geera and jericho were talking about meliodas.then,ban is all of a sudden standing/kneeling over them...and was like..."yeah,that thing is pretty dangerous"...i :lmao

same with recent chaps...just trolling gowther...:teehee

Last edited:

Samui

Reaction score
Country
Israel
What if... Hawk is in fact Merlin?

Seriously, think about it. I myself thought about this, although jokingly, but then someone else on Narutofan Forums posted the same idea, then we found more and more possible hints.
Merlin is the Boar's Sin of Gluttony. Hawk is a talking pig, and he sometimes dresses himself up as a knight.

Also there's a falcon species named Merlin, and its nickname is "Lady Hawks".

The Merlin (Falco columbarius) is a small species of falcon from the Northern Hemisphere. A bird of prey once known colloquially as a Pigeon Hawk.
Medieval falconers called them “lady hawks,”

Korean Kuroko

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
What if... Hawk is in fact Merlin?

Seriously, think about it. I myself thought about this, although jokingly, but then someone else on Narutofan Forums posted the same idea, then we found more and more possible hints.
Merlin is the Boar's Sin of Gluttony. Hawk is a talking pig, and he sometimes dresses himself up as a knight.

Also there's a falcon species named Merlin, and its nickname is "Lady Hawks".
Beat me to it. But hey,first post in the NnT section!

Nico Brown

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hawk being Merlin is a cool idea but i rather Merlin be a separate character. But they still might have a lot of connections to one another.

I actually think we have already seen Merlin in the manga, only for a small panel though. Ive been going over the old chapter and noticed that there is a panel of a woman that kinda looks like Merlin from a certain angle.

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/nanatsu_no_taizai/en/0/16/page/19

The panel next to Gilthunder. It also appears as if she might be the person standing on those rocks in the above picture, especially since you can see in her panel there are rocks behind her.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I can't possibly be the only one thinking Mel's bar s a clue?

Name: BOAR Hat.

Note the Clichee Wizard and Witch Hat being you know...pointy, in the shape of Mel's Bar.

Sin of Gluttony, the Boar.
Boars Sin = Merlin.
Boar Hat = Merlin's Hat

Hence Mel bought it 10 years ago having sold his sacred treasure for it and 10 years ago being when he met Hawk and Mama Hawk, while 10 years was the event with Zaratras.

Last edited: