Discussion - What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Post your light novel reading list here, and what you plan on reading on next.

I started reading No Game No Life today. I've only read the prologue, but so far it is interesting.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I read volume one of No Game No Life. Pretty good. The plot was interesting, so was the main character, Sora. The ecchi elements were a little intrusive, they didn't seem to fit the tone of the story. They were also a little creepy. Not sure if I will read volume two. Next I am going to read Mahouka, a series I have received multiple recommendations for.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I recommend Mahouka, too. I reading the manga and I'll read the novel soon, very good series. It mixes magic and engineering a very innovator system of magic in my opinion.

I read Sword Art Online recently until volume 6, the part covered by the anime plus GGO. I really want to see Guns Gale Online animated. It focuses on characters' relationship as well as in battles very well, falling in all tastes, even those who complain about SAO and ALO. I'm taking a break right now to read other novels and right now I'm reading Accel World, by the same author as SAO, it needs no introduction, I guess. I'm still in the beginning, where the anime covers but it is really good. Kawahara Reki is a good storytelling, make two novels with quality at the same time seems very tough.

My next reading is Kokoro Connect, which produced a very good anime that I like very much. I want to see the ending of the story.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the three Im reading as they releases are -

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Finished volume 11 last week.
Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatte Iru. - started because I loved the anime, on middle of v1 now (well cause I follow nanodesu's take on, feels easier to read than the other group doing it)
Sword Art Online - on volume 5 (Gun Gale Online) - will probably start reading more once I get more time.
Last Savior - on v1 still coolest start and magical premise thus far with cool art of the bunch. If the series gets more love could easily rank up as high as Mahouka for me as a favorite.

Want to read Accel World, but Ill just wait for that to release in print.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Leo: I loved the Kokoro Connect anime, but had trouble reading the novels. I don't know if it's the translation, or the original, but the writing was a little awkward. I nay give it another try, sometime.

SB: Where do you read Oregairu? Baka-Tsuki has not translated that many chapters. I definitely want to read it, I loved the anime. Same goes for Hataraku Maou-sama. If it's being translated, I want to read.

My list is so small it has a Napoleon Complex:
  1. No Game No Life: One volume. Volume two is only partially translated. I will wait.
  2. Mahouka: I've read one chapter. Obviously only an intro, but well written. I like it so far.
I'm not sure what I want to read next. Mahouka is so long that I will likely take a break, and start something else, every few volumes. I'd like to read Golden Time, but at this point I am just going to wait for the anime to end in April. I also will read the Chuunibyou novels after the second season is over.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Leo: I loved the Kokoro Connect anime, but had trouble reading the novels. I don't know if it's the translation, or the original, but the writing was a little awkward. I nay give it another try, sometime.

SB: Where do you read Oregairu? Baka-Tsuki has not translated that many chapters. I definitely want to read it, I loved the anime. Same goes for Hataraku Maou-sama. If it's being translated, I want to read.
I read Oregairu here. Typically they update it weekly or so

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Do you know any good sites to find links to translations? Mangaupdates is inadequate, at best. Google is not cutting it either.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Really? D:
I'll give a chance even so, maybe it is the way that the novel was written. Hyouka, for example, the anime is very good, but people say that the novel is very boring.

After Kokoro Connect, I'm going to read Mahouka. I'm planning to read Toradora and Baka Test afterward.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I haven't heard much about the Kouten-bu novels. I know a lot of people who have watched the anime, none who read the novel. I might have been judging Kokoro too harshly, or simply unwilling at the time to overlook grammatical catastrophes. It's at least worth trying for yourself. I loved the anime, Inaba is one of my all time favorite characters. The novels art is spectacular. The artist, Shiromizakana, is one of the chief animators at KyoAni. She did the character design for the Lucky Star, K-On, and Tamako Market anime.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you know any good sites to find links to translations? Mangaupdates is inadequate, at best. Google is not cutting it either.
I usually just find them from either the series fandom's posts on tumblr or what not. Unfortunately some of the ones Ive come across have only been in like livejournals, people's own blogs (and never added to bakatsuki), or on bakatsuki.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I usually just find them from either the series fandom's posts on tumblr or what not. Unfortunately some of the ones Ive come across have only been in like livejournals, people's own blogs (and never added to bakatsuki), or on bakatsuki.
That's what I thought. I can sometimes find LJ's through google, not the best way to search, but it sometimes works. I'll start checking tumblr communities too. I'm a tumblr noob, so that might take some adjustment, at first. When I search tumblr (I have an account) all I ever get are GIF's :XD I'll have to start checking the Animesuki forum too. Sometimes people post links there.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I read the Oreimo X Railgun special yesterday. This was freaking hilarious.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I finished the Nine Schools Competition and am going to take a short break from Mahouka. I started Tokyo Ravens last night.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I'm watching the anime of Date A Live right now, and really like it. The novels are now very high on my list.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I've finished Accel World's volume 2 and I decided to make a stop, this battle against the Chrome Disaster tired me, and to think that the next arc is not one of my favorites made me take this decision.

I thouht read Remembrances for a Certain Pilot, but I postponed it after the Prologue. XD
I'm going to read two more volume of Sword Art Online and read Mahouka after this.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Started no Game no life, will continue but I probably wont be reading through it as fast as Mahouka, unless things in it pick up fast. Kind of want to make it to Tokyo Ravens.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The pace picks up once the character and world introductions are finished. The first game is really exciting.

Nandesu has a new project, Rokka no Yuusha. It ranked eighth in this years Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! I have already added it to my list. I'll start reading once volume one is completed.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do tell how volume one is.

In No Game No Life the games aspect starts to remind me of Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? (Well simply because its also based around "games")

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
The pace picks up once the character and world introductions are finished. The first game is really exciting.

Nandesu has a new project, Rokka no Yuusha. It ranked eighth in this years Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! I have already added it to my list. I'll start reading once volume one is completed.
I was planning to read this one. It ranked 3rd in KonoRano 2013 too.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Do you have a link for the 2013 KanoRano winners? I either missed it, or can't remember them.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Do you have a link for the 2013 KanoRano winners? I either missed it, or can't remember them.
Series ranking
Characters ranking
Illustrators ranking

---------- Post added January 28, 2014 at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was January 20, 2014 at 05:02 PM ----------

Started reading Rokka no Yuusha. It's pretty good, I like the universe too, there is a lot of potential.

Not sure if I spoiler tag this
I understand the importance of their mission and that the 2 know protagonists are in eager to kill the Majin but sometimes it feels like they are doing something casual, I find it pretty amusing :XD.