Discussion - What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot... | Page 8 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What you don't like about Hunter x Hunter - Negatives, low points, and whatnot...

uberfayt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Had it been a conjured puppet Gon would have sen it, Nen beasts can be created with Emission(Razor and Goreinu's abilities) and they are pure Aura unlike conjured items.
Yeah what you are saying makes sense, but somehow you ruled out the possibility that the puppets are hidden by In, so one needs gyo to see them. Also is it specified somewhere in the manga that nen beasts need only emission to appear ? I just want to know :) Cuz for me emission is just a skill for handling aura without any support to the body, in other words when the aura is detached from the body. Therefore if the puppet is not conjured it should be at least transformed somehow (like how morau creates his puppets).

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Nen can only be seen by those who have awakened Nen....Conjuration turns your Nen into a physical viewable item...,The item is still Nen but it is visible to the naked eye....

Every other power is invisible to a non Nen user...So the viewer would be baffled and assume some sort of magic trick is going on....Ex Hisoka's bungee gum tricks & Fake Cloth technique

Nen itself can also be hidden from other Nen users who can only see hidden Nen when extra Nen is focused into their eyes with GYO.

Emission is pure Nen that can take on physical forms juss like Conjuration and can even almost function the same way but they are fundentally different....Emission is seperating ones aura from there body...So ideally An emitters powers would be projectile aura given its general description...However Rules/Conditions, Vows & Contracts can be used to strengthen & shape this ability into something different.....Placing one's aura on somebody/ connecting auras.....ex...Knuckle & Moneky Zodiac & Kurapicka. Or Shaping one's aura to mimic statues, beast, or ppl......

While Conjuration turns your Nen into a physical independent item or thing...which is necessary to set up conditions & terms of use for a unique & desired supernatural power.....

One is strictly turning your Nen into a physical item or thing the other deals with seperating your aura to attack with in either projectile, various physical forms or quite frankly using it as a curse mark

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Thank you guys for your clarifications :) ... My confusion was due to the fact that I didn't know emission nen could take physical forms (I always assumed one needed conjuration in combination with emission to create nen beasts)...but now its clear.

Ok so I did a research by rereading some parts of the manga (since also some of the points I mentioned were ignored by you guys), and what I found supports what I said, those puppets of pitou are conjured, but In is used to hide them (just like kurapika hides his chain with In). To make those puppets, three skills are needed : Conjuration (to materialize them), Emission (to separate them from the body) and Manipulation (to control them). If they were just pure aura made from emission, they wouldn't be as efficient and complex.

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This thread is for general things you might dislike about HxH or the way HxH is going and for discussing whether they are really low points.
I will bump it preemptively so we can take some of the general frustrated posts out of the chapter threads, since i felt that they were distracting there (for example general posts about that death is cheapened in HxH now or togashi's handing the 'nen that stays behind').

So, for feelings like that, this thread is the way to go, as long as it is all kept civil :)

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Chapter 357; Togashi's Epic Troll ending for one of his top fights that he nosed dived the finale of...By having Hisoka revive himself through stronger Nen after death...Which is just bad story telling

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is really good series that I'm glad I started but I do have complaints although mostly minimal stuff that people stated before me:
  • Not really many prominent female characters. The ones shown are pretty cool and borderline great but they're barely in the story
  • Too many traps and confusion regarding genders, traps are no issue in general but I dislike having to wait a little before saying this is a guy and this is a girl
  • WHERE TF IS KURAPIKA AND LEORIO? Lol holy shit they're barely in the story. I like these two way more than Gon so personal bias is here as well. More Hisoka is always welcomed too
  • I enjoy how dark the series is but some people just get introduced to die, so they barely resonate with me

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Nen can only be seen by those who have awakened Nen....Conjuration turns your Nen into a physical viewable item...,The item is still Nen but it is visible to the naked eye....

Every other power is invisible to a non Nen user...So the viewer would be baffled and assume some sort of magic trick is going on....Ex Hisoka's bungee gum tricks & Fake Cloth technique

Nen itself can also be hidden from other Nen users who can only see hidden Nen when extra Nen is focused into their eyes with GYO.

Emission is pure Nen that can take on physical forms juss like Conjuration and can even almost function the same way but they are fundentally different....Emission is seperating ones aura from there body...So ideally An emitters powers would be projectile aura given its general description...However Rules/Conditions, Vows & Contracts can be used to strengthen & shape this ability into something different.....Placing one's aura on somebody/ connecting auras.....ex...Knuckle & Moneky Zodiac & Kurapicka. Or Shaping one's aura to mimic statues, beast, or ppl......

While Conjuration turns your Nen into a physical independent item or thing...which is necessary to set up conditions & terms of use for a unique & desired supernatural power.....

One is strictly turning your Nen into a physical item or thing the other deals with seperating your aura to attack with in either projectile, various physical forms or quite frankly using it as a curse mark
Kurapika would like to have a word with you. In the fight against Uvo he explains his tactics. One of the tactics is, that he can use Zetsu on his chains to make it invincible, as a result Uvo was caught. Why was he caught? Because Uvo taught Kurapika was a manipulator, hence the chain never vanished. Had he knew that he was conjurer, he would have seen it coming with Gyo. The moment he used Gyo... he could see the chain around him.

So i disagree with "The item is still Nen but it is visible to the naked eye". And yes with that assumption a created Nensword could still be invisible, but if it could pierce a ten reinforced body is on another note.

Wasnt something like that in the hisokaoriginstory too? I believe the conjured magnetic pillars were also invisible to the naked eye.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Kurapika would like to have a word with you. In the fight against Uvo he explains his tactics. One of the tactics is, that he can use Zetsu on his chains to make it invincible, as a result Uvo was caught. Why was he caught? Because Uvo taught Kurapika was a manipulator, hence the chain never vanished. Had he knew that he was conjurer, he would have seen it coming with Gyo. The moment he used Gyo... he could see the chain around him.[\QUOTE]

I've wanted to have several Words With Kurapicka or Togashi I should say; He got way too strong too fast. But that's been cleared up with more details on his Vow/Limits.

Anyways.....Kurapicka Used IN not Zetsu.....Zetsu is what Gon used to capture Hisoka's badge, it shuts down your aura & erases your physical presence....EN is the more advanced application of Zetsu. EN hides the apperance of Nen all together..GYO has to be used to counter this application. Because you'll simply be getting hit with Invisible Hatsu's or be under an Hatsu effect unbeknownst to your knowledge.

Why Uvo got caught?? Cause Kurapicka was a crafty mofo that's why...1) Keeps his chains constantly conjured, to maintain the apperance that he's manipulating a real chain....A Real chain being manipulated doesn't need GYO to be seen, nor can a real chain be hidden with IN.

Ugo wasn't placed in, any invisible chains until Kurapicka's 1st assault...Which he mistakenly mentions he'll regret not entangling him in chains then...Going under the wrong assumption that Kurapicka was an Manipulator.

Uvo should have used it from the start, because Once a spider is caught, in a 1 vs 1 With Kurapicka they are dead..Instant Zetsu which means he can kill them with a simple nen punch.

So i disagree with "The item is still Nen but it is visible to the naked eye". And yes with that assumption a created Nensword could still be invisible, but if it could pierce a ten reinforced body is on another note.

Wasnt something like that in the hisokaoriginstory too? I believe the conjured magnetic pillars were also invisible to the naked eye.
Hisoka's Origin Story is not Cannon. That was done by another great mangaka Author as an Homage to the series & Author. It's basically Professional Fan Fiction.

Wait what? Huh? Nen is invisible to non Nen users....Bungee Gum, Killua's electricity, Gon's JaJanken cannot be seen by Regular Ppl.

Conjured Items are made out of Nen. But They are appear to everybody as real physical items...Kurapicka's Chains, Blinky The Vaccum Cleaner, anything Conjured is visible to all.....

EN can be used to make...Bungee invisible. Which Hisoka has done multiple times...Against Gon & Kastro..

Have no idea to your point about an Conjured Nen sword...Kurapicka's teachers point in making a Nen sword, is simply. It's better to use a sharp durable sword & protect it with Nen if you just want to cut shit...However if your creative you can make a Nen Sword to cut specific things, or cut with an specific effect etx etc...As to if it can pierce someone's Ten, would be very conditional.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagiFanboyAlibaba

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I dislike about Hunter x Hunter was Kurapika. There's so much I could say but he's a cesspool of contradiction and cringe. The fact that he threatened to kill someone when they briefly mentioned his dead clan in the latest manga further reinforces that belief. Initially, I thought he was a pretty cool character but the Yorknew Arc just ruined him for me.

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing I dislike about Hunter x Hunter was Kurapika. There's so much I could say but he's a cesspool of contradiction and cringe. The fact that he threatened to kill someone when they briefly mentioned his dead clan in the latest manga further reinforces that belief. Initially, I thought he was a pretty cool character but the Yorknew Arc just ruined him for me.
Unlike most manga, the narrator generally tells the story from whatever the current major character is and it's biased from that guy's point of view. The point is that Kurapika is a hotheaded, biased guy that might rip your head off for mentioning anything related to spiders or his dead clan and yet he thinks of himself as a totally calm and fair guy. Now I don't actually like Kurapika for precisely that reason but the story isn't trying to say his view is correct. It's just telling you that's how he thinks and, from his point of view, of course he's correct.

It bothers me that HXH often devolves into 'no true correct path' which is honestly ridiculous. Leorio is a guy who is most fit to be a Hunter in terms of personality as he's endorsed by pretty much everyone for having a great sense of justice and so on. Yet originally he wanted to killed the judge in the Hunter Exam for asking what he perceives to be a bad question and then destroy the Hunter's Association for being a corrupt organization. So if Leorio was as powerful as Meryem, I guess HXH will go something like Leorio destroyed most of the Hunter Association because they asked a question he didn't like, and then later snapped Ging's head in half for being a lousy father. We know the story actually approves of all his actions and the only reason no one died is because Leorio is not that powerful. So if Leorio is actually powerful you'd probably see some kind of narration like 'well Leorio wiped out all of the Hunter's Association but who is to say he is wrong?' No, that'd definitely be wrong, even if he meant well. You're not supposed to kill someone just because there's some disagreement.

twisterzin

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
"nen that becomes stronger after death" is explained in chapters 120, 266 and 352 of the manga.
Hisoka's ressurection was not bad story telling, it was a awful one.

Nen that becomes stronger after death is not a problem. It's a concept, and a good one. It means that is possible that someones ability stay active (and stronger) after death. In Hisoka's case, that would mean, for example, something that he glued with bungee gun stayed that way. Or Knov's room staying active even after his death (connecting the last two dots for eternity). That is NEN becoming stronger after death.

But Hisoka's case was totally different. He DIED, and stayed death for a while, and then got ressurrected by using his NEN as a DEFRIBULATOR. That brings a lot of problems: there is a reason why doctors stop trying to defribulate after a while: Brain cell's die without oxygen. You cant ressurrect someone after some period - and Hisoka was dead for several minutes.

His NEN was not active during the time he stayed dead (otherwise the spiders would have known - they checked him). So, his brains cells stayed without oxygen and should have died. He could not have been ressurrected. AWFUL STORY TELLING.

Last edited:

**Silver**

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Main character is Little kid with super powers cant stand little kids with superpowers and lolicons...

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Hisoka's ressurection was not bad story telling, it was a awful one.

Nen that becomes stronger after death is not a problem. It's a concept, and a good one. It means that is possible that someones ability stay active (and stronger) after death. In Hisoka's case, that would mean, for example, something that he glued with bungee gun stayed that way. Or Knov's room staying active even after his death (connecting the last two dots for eternity). That is NEN becoming stronger after death.

But Hisoka's case was totally different. He DIED, and stayed death for a while, and then got ressurrected by using his NEN as a DEFRIBULATOR. That brings a lot of problems: there is a reason why doctors stop trying to defribulate after a while: Brain cell's die without oxygen. You cant ressurrect someone after some period - and Hisoka was dead for several minutes.

His NEN was not active during the time he stayed dead (otherwise the spiders would have known - they checked him). So, his brains cells stayed without oxygen and should have died. He could not have been ressurrected. AWFUL STORY TELLING.
Hisoka is a superhuman Nen user, why does it matter so much? Even before Nen's introduction there were superhuman feats((Gon's sense of smell is comparable to a dog's, Killua could open a doors weighing several tons, Gon, Kurapika and Leorio managed to do this some time after their training as well, Morau's lung capacity is insane and so on)) and we know Nen keeps the body in good condition. He issued a Nen command and it worked because the death was clinical. Nen isn't immediately active when it's supposed to work again after death. Pitou is an example. It simply means that Hisoka's brain cells can stay alive for a longer time without oxygen.

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
The fact that he revived himself (though we don't know what state he’s actually in!) affer being legit dead is troubling though. Ill agree that like self resurection is a bit much

Phantron

Reaction score
Country
United States
The whole Hisoka thing is more like a gross misuse of semantics. If someone in real life was shot five times and left for dead but somehow did not die, you wouldn't say this guy must have died but somehow resurrected himself. You'd say this guy somehow survived despite his wounds. Not even Breath of the Archangel can bring back the dead, and its potency is an order of magnitude above any recovery feat Hisoka performed. When Alluka healed Gon the energy involved was something that was noticeable by people in nearby building, and Gon didn't even die. In fact, we can assume Alluka likely cannot have brought back the dead since otherwise Killua would be in no hurry to get there, and Alluka's power is an order of magnitude above what the Archangel can do.

Besides, if it's normal for people to come back from the dead, you'd think 3 guys used to fighting to the death would have heard about it and then just smashed his head to make sure he's definitely dead. In Dragonball Saiyans power up by recovering from near death experiences, and colloquially they might say "I came back from the dead!' but obviously they didn't actually die.

By the way, it is possible to fool even experienced users on what it means to be dead. Gon planned on bringing Kite back, and presumably everyone on the assault team saw Kite as is and none of them thought he's already dead. It makes sense since it's not like you can just look at a body that's not decomposing and say 'yep the soul isn't there'. Pitou knows only because he's the one who killed Kite, but to an outside observer Kite looks like someone on suspended animation. Hisoka's recovery is written as if he fooled people into thinking he's dead, except he actually invoked the 'gets stronger with death' clause that requires him to actually die as opposed to just faking his death. I'm guessing that fight Togashi got obsessed with everyone having a 'powered up by death' deal without really thinking about whether it makes sense. Nothing Hisoka did would be anywhere close to being able to overcome death, and in fact if all you need is CPR yourself to come back to life then there would already be a host of stories of people coming back from the dead.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The whole Hisoka thing is more like a gross misuse of semantics. If someone in real life was shot five times and left for dead but somehow did not die, you wouldn't say this guy must have died but somehow resurrected himself. You'd say this guy somehow survived despite his wounds. Not even Breath of the Archangel can bring back the dead, and its potency is an order of magnitude above any recovery feat Hisoka performed. When Alluka healed Gon the energy involved was something that was noticeable by people in nearby building, and Gon didn't even die. In fact, we can assume Alluka likely cannot have brought back the dead since otherwise Killua would be in no hurry to get there, and Alluka's power is an order of magnitude above what the Archangel can do.

Besides, if it's normal for people to come back from the dead, you'd think 3 guys used to fighting to the death would have heard about it and then just smashed his head to make sure he's definitely dead. In Dragonball Saiyans power up by recovering from near death experiences, and colloquially they might say "I came back from the dead!' but obviously they didn't actually die.

By the way, it is possible to fool even experienced users on what it means to be dead. Gon planned on bringing Kite back, and presumably everyone on the assault team saw Kite as is and none of them thought he's already dead. It makes sense since it's not like you can just look at a body that's not decomposing and say 'yep the soul isn't there'. Pitou knows only because he's the one who killed Kite, but to an outside observer Kite looks like someone on suspended animation. Hisoka's recovery is written as if he fooled people into thinking he's dead, except he actually invoked the 'gets stronger with death' clause that requires him to actually die as opposed to just faking his death. I'm guessing that fight Togashi got obsessed with everyone having a 'powered up by death' deal without really thinking about whether it makes sense. Nothing Hisoka did would be anywhere close to being able to overcome death, and in fact if all you need is CPR yourself to come back to life then there would already be a host of stories of people coming back from the dead.
Well, we know CPR is a thing in the HxH verse too.
I think it went down like this: Hisoka was dead as far as heartbeat goes, which is why the spider thought he was dead (quite reasonably, because even if there was still brainfunction, lying down there would have taken care of the job anyway).
The clause was triggered the moment his brain stopped working, and in that moment, it was possible to CPR him back (in fact, his ability probably made it a much more potent CPR).
To me, that makes complete sense. At the point it happened, i do think that alluka or archangels breath could have brought him back too.