Discussion - What's your preferred place to live - Rural, Urban or Suburban? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What's your preferred place to live - Rural, Urban or Suburban?

Your choice?

• Rural

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Urban

• Suburban

• Total voters

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Title pretty much says it all, what's your preference and why?

For me I'm definitely at home in the countryside, can't personally imagine living in a big city or suburb after having grown up in a small village with acres to roam around on. Having said that, being in The UK there's few places that are significantly far away from any reasonably sized towns, we have a large Town about half an hour to the North East, and an even bigger one about 45 mins to the South. Being 2h+ from any significant settlement would be an entirely different experience, where it's a real trek should you wish to venture into town. I guess the attraction for me is that I can enjoy the services on offer when the fancy takes me, but can get far away from it all when I'm done.

We've also got the benefit of government investment in rural broadband, I know in a lot of countries that isn't the case and it's intolerably slow (I mean ours isn't screamingly fast, but it's serviceable if sometimes intermittent) that could also be an inconvenience if it were a dichotomy, but I don't think I'd give up rural life for better internet. There's some pretty big social downsides too, my friends all live in other villages and it can be quite a feat to organise a meet up. Particularly if you want to do something other than sit in a pub, or go for a walk/ bike/ horse ride.

Interested to hear others' preferences and reasons!

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a city kid so I grew up in the suburbs. But later in life I think I would want to live out in the rural areas, not too much rural where like it's a 30 min drive to get groceries but somewhere it's not too noisy outside. I'll shoot someone if they woke me up from my nap.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I loathe the Burbs like nothing else. I'll never place myself or any potential children of mine in that hellhole. Urban areas (My perspective being Melbourne CBD and the old inner suburbs) are nice but expensive. Country locations close to a city would be perfect for me.

Styx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
If I could become a hermit that bitterly curses the lives of those living in cities, I would, so rural. As much as possible, preferably deep in the mountains far, far away from civilization. When I'm around large groups of people I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. They're so loud and obnoxious, and rude! They shove, scream, stare, cut in line...ugh.

They need Jesus or something. :8C

Last edited:

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
City! I like entertainment when I ride public transportation :D
Public transport is definitely a - for living in the country, and not just because it's dull :s the few times the price and timetable have made it convenient for me to use the local service, well let's just say I think we must get the secondhand buses from one of the nearby towns or cities - the whole thing was full of smoke/ engine fumes!

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Public transport is definitely a - for living in the country, and not just because it's dull :s the few times the price and timetable have made it convenient for me to use the local service, well let's just say I think we must get the secondhand buses from one of the nearby towns or cities - the whole thing was full of smoke/ engine fumes!
It depends on where you're from as to how desirable the country is i suppose. Here the country towns are huge and all located on freeways that take you directly into the cities. Public transport in most of our towns is also on the ball.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here, rural areas don't have much in terms of public transportation. The suburbs/small towns have it but it's the timing that are terrible and the routes that go the super long. No dirty exhaust fumes though :).

I like walking around to where I need to be so the city is for me.

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on where you're from as to how desirable the country is i suppose. Here the country towns are huge and all located on freeways that take you directly into the cities. Public transport in most of our towns is also on the ball.
Yeah I guess it would vary from place to place, around here there's a single main (ish, it's still only a single carriageway 'A' road) that will take you almost straight into town if you go N/E, but if you want to get to the bigger town to the South, well it's a big detour out to the West, or use the network of twisty little country lanes, bounded by hedges which reduce visibility (and often make it hard to get two cars past, let alone if a bus tried it!) and which usually have horses coming round blind bends, or the occasional nutter who takes the (ridiculous) 60mph limit too seriously. That's pretty much the pattern for rural areas in the UK though, lots of tiny little fragments of villages connected by a cobweb of really small roads, and maybe the occasional main one if you're lucky.

Here, rural areas don't have much in terms of public transportation. The suburbs/small towns have it but it's the timing that are terrible and the routes that go the super long. No dirty exhaust fumes though :).

I like walking around to where I need to be so the city is for me.
Yeah that's the issue here pretty much too, recently it was cut from a service every other hour to just 3 a day, which makes it practically useless now (well, if you have a car at least) :P do feel for all the older people for whom it's a lifeline (and probably the only reason they haven't scrapped it altogether). Like I say we're lucky geographically to live just off of a main road to a reasonably sized town, but as for going South, I've never even thought of doing it by bus, don't know if you could even do it (without several changes and lots of waiting at least)

Yeah I guess that's the convenience, I've just checked on Google maps and it would take me about 4h to walk into town :blink i guess it is bad for the environment to be so car dependent!

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah I guess it would vary from place to place, around here there's a single main (ish, it's still only a single carriageway 'A' road) that will take you almost straight into town if you go N/E, but if you want to get to the bigger town to the South, well it's a big detour out to the West, or use the network of twisty little country lanes, bounded by hedges which reduce visibility (and often make it hard to get two cars past, let alone if a bus tried it!) and which usually have horses coming round blind bends, or the occasional nutter who takes the (ridiculous) 60mph limit too seriously. That's pretty much the pattern for rural areas in the UK though, lots of tiny little fragments of villages connected by a cobweb of really small roads, and maybe the occasional main one if you're lucky.

Yeah that's the issue here pretty much too, recently it was cut from a service every other hour to just 3 a day, which makes it practically useless now (well, if you have a car at least) :P do feel for all the older people for whom it's a lifeline (and probably the only reason they haven't scrapped it altogether). Like I say we're lucky geographically to live just off of a main road to a reasonably sized town, but as for going South, I've never even thought of doing it by bus, don't know if you could even do it (without several changes and lots of waiting at least)

Yeah I guess that's the convenience, I've just checked on Google maps and it would take me about 4h to walk into town :blink i guess it is bad for the environment to be so car dependent!
I don't know how many Starbucks or Tim Hortons I could pass walking that long :D Cars are becoming better and more fuel efficient. But it's a toss up what is better for the environment. Yes urban areas have public transportation, multi dwellings buildings and close proximity to things but there are pollution problems involving so many people so close together.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Maybe I'm just lucky to live in a bigger country town 30 mins away from the city boundaries then :p

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only reason why I voted urban is because food. I have a jillion different cuisines to choose from all within 15 minutes and that is because of traffic lights. I can be high af and get the munchies at 2am and a full menu taco shop would be open 24 hours within 10 minutes drive. There's actually a few of them lol. Also, since San Diego has such a diverse population I get almost every cuisine you want. That also mean a shitload of different types of desserts and alcohol but I don't drink.

The important thing for me is no matter where I stay down here, I have to be within 30 minutes of all the following: mountains and inland/dessert. I personally love nature. Maybe it is because I lived in the city since I was born but spending days out in the country is so nice. Stars, birds, a fish flopping out of the lake. Stuff like these are priceless as well as timeless. Stuff no amount of friends in the city or money can buy. You have to be...there to truly feel nature. One day I am going to buy a home in Colorado. And yeah I forgot about the beaches here. Nothing like going to secret beaches and watching the sunset with some gas station drinks, weed, and my lady by my side. Gotta love the nature that surrounds us. I'm afraid to live in a world ravished by climate change, a place that lost so much beauty because of climate change. So even though I'm voted urban for the food, I very much do belong in the rural areas. I am just happy I am getting to live now and in a place where I can get groceries at Aldis just 5 minutes away...by foot. Lol. The urban area got its perks and downfalls. I can buy fresh food everyday cuz Aldis is so close by hahahaha but I cannot see the stars. The grass IS greener on the other side lol.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Probably city because I was born and brought up in a metropolitan city.

But living in village will be peaceful and calm and the pollution level will be low too.

Vis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently living in London and I wouldn't have it any other way at the moment. This place is best for young adults and to professionals aiming to 'find themselves', as cheesy as that sounds.

That said, I do not want to live and grow old here. Would like to raise kids in a rural area.