Where do you rank Hunter x Hunter in your top Manga/Anime list? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Where do you rank Hunter x Hunter in your top Manga/Anime list?

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
As the tittle says, where does Hunter x Hunter land on your top manga/anime list? You can also explain why do you pick every series
I know is kinda biased to ask in the hxh sub but I've heard a lot of varied opinions even among fans. This may help people find new stuff to read/watch.

I'll go first with my top manga list:

1-HxH
To me the indisputed GOAT. Unique storytelling in shonen, the variety of the arcs, the ASTRONOMICAL highs(york new, greed island dodgeball, chimera ant, Gon's rage, Tserriednich and the new arc) The amazing cast as well as some of the best antagonists ever written. I can talk all day about HxH, god bless Togashi.

2-Vagabond
Despite being more of a character study and growth over the journey, this manga has the best fight in manga history IMO (I won't spoil which one, go read it) The amount of emotions and growth are unmatched, you can literally feel them in the characters and yourself.

3-Berserk
The only arc I consider on par with Chimera Ants is Golden Age, that should tell you enough about the quality of Berserk, some of the best art in the game and one of the best protagonist/antagonist conflicts ever.

4-Pluto
A short, straight to the point masterpiece. I loved Monster and 20th Century Boys as well but for me this is the magnum opus of mister Urosawa. Mysterious and emotional as you connect all the dots with it's protagonist.

5-To your eternity
Probably the best introductory chapter that I've read, got me to tears in just a few pages. This one might be personal but it destroys me every time I read it, beautiful heart-wrenching storytelling.

6-Dragon Ball
The OG shonen adventure and my childhood. If you like manga/anime you probably owe some to Toriyama and the thousands of mangakas and artists that he influenced. Amazing battles, art and iconic scenes that can't be replicated in terms of impact even decades later.

Last edited:

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
1. HxH
2. March Comes in Like a Lion
3. Berserk
4. Mob Psycho 100
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (mainly Parts 4 and 7)

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
1. HxH
2. March Comes in Like a Lion
3. Berserk
4. Mob Psycho 100
5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (mainly Parts 4 and 7)
Pretty solid list! I really need to get into JoJo I keep hearing amazing stuff about steel ball run :crying

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Pretty solid list! I really need to get into JoJo I keep hearing amazing stuff about steel ball run :crying
Yup. And given the multiple references in the current arc, Togashi is definitely a fan too, heh.

Also, to try to get you to check out March, here's what the author has on the top shelf of one of her bookcases 😏

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
It's my favorite by far.

I like JJBA(Part 2 and 6 especially) but my two other favorite works of fiction are Tower of God(Korean) and Feng Shen Ji(Chinese).

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
My top faev manga changes constantly but HxH is definitely on top .
My current top 5 Mal manga list, I havent changed it for I think almost 2 years ;

- HxH
- Yotsubato
- Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
- Kakukaku Shikajika (this one should be in 2nd place I think or same level as HxH)
-Tongari Boushi no Atleier
Otoyomegatari could be in top 5 too

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
My top faev manga changes constantly but HxH is definitely on top .
My current top 5 Mal manga list, I havent changed it for I think almost 2 years ;

- HxH
- Yotsubato
- Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
- Kakukaku Shikajika (this one should be in 2nd place I think or same level as HxH)
-Tongari Boushi no Atleier
Otoyomegatari could be in top 5 too
Love to see hxh in the top :rolleyes:
Witch hat atelier was really close for me but I guess I need more from it to see where the series lands as a whole, it's amazing tho.
Some of those series I don't know so I'll check them out, specially kakukaku caught my attention

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Love to see hxh in the top :rolleyes:
Some of those series I don't know so I'll check them out, specially kakukaku caught my attention
That's highly recommended, it has nothing to do with HxH, so it's hard to compare, and it's a very short manga, but it's one of the best manga I have ever read, it's a 5 volumes slice of life/biography, definitely give it a try :nod .
as for Kusuriya, it had an anime adaptation that just ended, highly recommended too.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Humm, right now I would say that I'm enjoying JJK and Witch Hat Atelier at the top. Second I would put One Piece. Tower Dungeon and Clevatess are new mangas that I'm cautiously optimistic about. If HxH would release 10 chapters in the following weeks, they would probably place at the top.
Mostly because this arc is fantastic.

But I remember a time when I would have placed Naruto first 👁 👄 👁

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I'm glad Witch Hat is so high in some of the lists. It's kinda sad that it's not a really well known series. I mean, I don't care for the general audience to know about it, but it really deserves more recognition. If only we could get a frieren-like adaptation I think it'll be among the most popular anime.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm glad Witch Hat is so high in some of the lists. It's kinda sad that it's not a really well known series. I mean, I don't care for the general audience to know about it, but it really deserves more recognition. If only we could get a frieren-like adaptation I think it'll be among the most popular anime.
There is an anime in process, as far as I recall.

Oh, I forgot about World Trigger as well. It's probably my favorite magic system after HxH.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Hooked by the anime, I started reading Ragna Crimson and caught up. Definitely one of my favorite battle shonen right now.

I was a manga reader before it got an adaptation but Frieren is one of my favorite ongoing series as well.

As for anime, among the completed ones I like Gintama and Uchuu Kyoudai a lot.

lulukaruins

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
There is nothing like HUNTER x HUNTER in literature.

My list would be (not in order):
Yugami-Kun Tomodachi ga Inai
H2
(Adachi Mitsuru), many like Cross Game but I appreciate H2 more.
Dragon Ball along with Tekken Chinmi (childhood memories), and
Juuni Kokuki which deserves more attention and recognition (only watched the anime). Great lore and world building, the characters are also well written (I rate it second only to HxH). And overall much better than Seirei no Moribito or even Kemono no Souja Erin.

I'm not extremely into it, but like others among the ongoing I also enjoying Kusuriya Hitorigoto, World Trigger, Frieren, Ascendance of a Bookworm, also keep anticipating new seasons of Legend of Galatic Heroes.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
There is nothing like HUNTER x HUNTER in literature.

My list would be (not in order):
Yugami-Kun Tomodachi ga Inai
H2
(Adachi Mitsuru), many like Cross Game but I appreciate H2 more.
Dragon Ball along with Tekken Chinmi (childhood memories), and
Juuni Kokuki which deserves more attention and recognition (only watched the anime). Great lore and world building, the characters are also well written (I rate it second only to HxH). And overall much better than Seirei no Moribito or even Kemono no Souja Erin.

I'm not extremely into it, but like others among the ongoing I also enjoying Kusuriya Hitorigoto, World Trigger, Frieren, Ascendance of a Bookworm, also keep anticipating new seasons of Legend of Galatic Heroes.
Pretty unique list, I like it.
You got me interested in Juuni kokuki but it's a series of novels so no manga for me 😿
Maybe the anime is worth checking out altough I'm more into manga nowadays, sadly many anime adaptations take too much liberty for my taste

lulukaruins

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
You got me interested in Juuni kokuki but it's a series of novels so no manga for me 😿
Maybe the anime is worth checking out altough I'm more into manga nowadays, sadly many anime adaptations take too much liberty for my taste
Personally I think the animation of Twelve Kingdoms doesn't age really well, some episode really lack of quality (budget), but the writing is up there. Oh, I also read Kakukaku Shikajika which Erinyes like, It's really good. Yotsubato also good for chilling.

If you plan to read Twelve Kingdoms novels I recommend reading the fan translation one by Eugene Woodbury. much-much better than the official.
I read only one volume so far.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I really loved Juuni Kokuki when it came out, but it's true that nowadays it is a bit lacking. I'm always hoping they remake it and finish it this time around.

Kanmuru

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I really loved Juuni Kokuki when it came out, but it's true that nowadays it is a bit lacking. I'm always hoping they remake it and finish it this time around.
I don't care too much about the quality I look more at how faithful it is. I mean I really enjoyed Berserk 97 and that's a glorified powerpoint more than animation :sarc (it's got some beautiful drawings tho)