Which Benefits Society More | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Which Benefits Society More

Sanity Check

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Awhile ago I watched debates Malcom X participated in. I wanted to witness the old school format for discussion and debate. And perhaps see a glimpse of the intelligence which made Malcom X famous.

One topic they debated was...

"Moderation in the pursuit of liberty is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."

When I first saw this many years ago, I thought it was the coolest debate topic I had ever seen.

(Looking at it now, it looks unbalanced in favor of both extremism and liberty.)

Long story short, every once in awhile I try to come up with my own version of a similar topic to argue it with myself.

Debate topic:

Which Benefits Society More

A) Fighting the nazis!

B) Freeing the slaves!

Fighting nazis is the role that definitely receives the most glory and respect. There are endless movies and TV series produced about battling nazis. And very few movies and TV series that revolve around freeing slaves. Its not hard to figure out which role society glorifies over the other.

But freeing slaves could be the more difficult job. As it involves extracting many civilians who are unarmed from their place of incarceration. Securing exit routes. Providing medical care and first aid. Defending those who cannot defend themselves. It might also involve freeing people from indoctrination, conditioning and brain washing.

The question isn't which role society glorifies but rather which benefits society more.. what do people think?

:sleepy

Last edited: