Character - Which characters do you wish got more panel time? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Which characters do you wish got more panel time?

felixng2011

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
With so many characters and so little panel room, some characters are inevitably going to be left out.

Here are some characters that I feel deserve more panel time.

1) Kaidoh: He will be the new captain of Seigaku and yet somehow Momoshiro has had way more panel time and got a decent power up in black jack knife. He is likely never going to get another showing in NPOT since he isn't even on the squad which is a dam shame even Oishi got time.

2) Two Wings of Kyushu: They are easier superior to some characters currently on the MSER team like Oshitari, Bunta, etc.
And on par with some others. You can argue at least Renji has the utility of being a data tennis player I guess.

3) Tezuka: He has showed up a few times but his matches are always off paneled, with Atobe getting fodderized and him usually facing uninteresting opponents who seem to get beaten fairly easily.

4) Ryoma: Funnily enough the main character barely got panel time but that seems to be changing soon with him back on team jp.

What are some other examples you guys can think of?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
2) Two Wings of Kyushu: They are easier superior to some characters currently on the MSER team like Oshitari, Bunta, etc.
Not relevant to desired screen time at all, but I think those inclusions are actually justifiable even on ability grounds. Marui is a better doubles player and Yuushi has superior mental resilience and greater flexibility, which can also be useful in doubles. Neither of them is likely to see the light of day in singles anyway.

On-topic, it's hard to pinpoint, but these are the ones that first came to mind:
  • Yagyuu: In my eyes still the strongest MSer who never got match time past his introductory match. He's shown up even less than Tachibana and Chitose.
  • Jirou: Looking back, I think I really would've preferred him over Marui on the team. With Marui already being the ultimate offensive volleyer, it would've been a nice contrast to turn Jirou into the ultimate defensive one by giving him Wonder Castle. I don't think you would've even had to change much in terms of story, the only thing that doesn't work at all for Jirou is Marui's reason for negotiating with Kimijima, but as it stands that plot point doesn't seem be be going anywhere in the main story anyway.
  • Date and Nakagauchi: Both for the same reason really, I'd like to see their relationship with Oni (and in Date's case Byoudouin too) explored more.
  • Hara: He's got some potentially interesting tie-ins with Shiraishi and Mouri, but seems to have been dropped completely.

Ice Falcon

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really would have liked to have seen more be done with Tachibana. I think he had the potential to be up there with Atobe, Sanada, and Shiraishi if they had done more with him. I think he, Shinji, and Sengoku had a lot of potential. Tachibana was the first player to defeat Fuji's Triple Counters. Even though it was filler, I liked Sengoku's story in the anime about how he took up boxing to improve in tennis. On top of his endurance improving and his already keen eyesight, his improvement allowed him to break the Tezuka Zone with ease. That was something that even Chitose couldn't do.