Discussion - Who is the strongest d.gray-man character? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Who is the strongest d.gray-man character?

Wood-Guy7

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Iran
Neah? millennium earl? allen with the 14th's power? road? apocryphos?

Also I would appreciate it if you'll put the characters in the tiers of
1-godly
2-extremely strong
3-very strong
4-strong
5-normal
6-not bad
7-weak and lastly
8-extremely weak

Unfortunately I don't have a good direction sense and memory on who beat who and who did what so that's why I'm asking you to rank their strength,besides,d.gray-man doesn't have many characters unlike Naruto,bleach and one piece so you don't have the same difficulty of people who make naruto and bleach tier lists,I specifically want to know the rank of these characters and who's stronger than who,I always wondered if lavi and lenalee were to fight who'll be the winner,would lenalee stand a chance against road,and if Allen and kanda have a real fight who would emerge as the winner here's the list:

1-Allen at the beginning of the series with his parasite type innocence arm
2-Allen after obtaining crown clown
3-Allen with the 14th power
4-Kanda at the beginning of the series
5-Kanda after his fight with skin bolic
6-Kanda after obtaining his new crystal type innocence
7-Lavi
8-Lenalee at the beginning
9-Lenalee after obtaining her crystal type innocence
10-The earl
11-Road
12-Tyki
13-Jasdevi
14-Skin bolic
15-Cross Marian
16-Suman dark
17-General tieodoll
18-Eshi the lvl3 akuma
19-Lvl4 akuma
20-Crowley
21-miranda
22-fou

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say DGM doesn't have many characters. There may not as many as some of those series (???), but there are still plenty more recurring characters than I care to count. Also, we don't have a lot of info to go on when it comes to people's fighting ability in this series, since the story isn't centred around battles taking place or a path to anyone getting "stronger" in terms of fighting ability. It also features forms of strength beyond fighting ability. But there IS a war going on, and there are certainly battles being fought so yeah...

I'm going to be leaving a lot of people out here, but I'll give it a try. Here goes...

• Millennium Earl (depends how serious he gets but the Earl can eat souls)

• 14th Noah (he's the Millennium Earl-lite! Like a weakened version of the Earl)
• Apocryphos (was able to negate Tyki and Road's Noah abilities)

• all other Noahs

• the Order Generals
• Allen Walker (for now; he'll bump up a couple levels after he learns the truth and gains a final purpose)
• Kanda Yuu
• Lenalee Lee
• Lavi (who seems to have hidden abilities we have yet to see...)
• Arystar Krory
• Level 4 Akuma
• Howard Link (as far as we know he's the most skilled Crow around, and now he has Atuuda)

• Level 1-3 Akuma (level 1s are still dangerous in high numbers especially for equipment types)
• Third Exorcists
• regular Crows
• the rest of the regular Exorcists

• Fo
• Bak Chang

• golems :p

regular humans and other living things

capricorn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I second Kannazuki's opinion on d gray man not being that focused on battles but is rather more story centric as it simply focuses on the general conflict of an ongoing war. In fact i'm often amazed and slightly amused that some people still think of it as a battle manga after only presenting one arc (nosh's ark arc) that has really conformed to such values.
Regardless this thread seems fun enough though I do question your insistence on utilizing a standardized tiers, bearing in mind that those are relative given each series. For one I don't think a d gray man god tier is equivalent to that of another series in that it may be either comparatively weak or too strong. And as a further disclaimer I don't think that d gray man necessarily respects that kind of straightforward power system either because the powers especially between the good guys versus those of the bad guys are alarmingly different in nature. What I mean is that the designed as antigens to each other so whilst say someone of a similar tier from another series might stand a chance against an exorcist they most likely won't stand any chance against a noah without innocence due to hax regardless of however powerful they are. So before I make an attempt at this I need to know if these categories are only pertaining to d gray man or are they relative to the other series mentioned?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ohhhh looks like I misread the original post. I can reorganize your specified list of characters (which I thought was your ranking for some reason) by how strong I think they are now, if you want...

Wood-Guy7

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Iran
I'm perfectly aware that d.gray-man is a story centric manga which is exactly why I feel the need to have someone tell me the tier list,unlike most battle shonens out there where we see the characters in action all the time and we always see the extent of their power,in d.gray man it has been mostly conversations.blech always reminds me how strong yhwach and aizen are therefore I don't need other people to tell me their in the God tiers,also I see their powers with my own eyes.

However in d.gray man because it has been so long till I have seen a character show his or her power I completely forgot their tiers,also certain character's strength extent is never shown but instead hidden in qoutes.kinda like dark souls.

Anyway yes kanazuki,I would appreciate it if you would organize a list based on the characters I have listed.

Let's be honest,hoshino doesn't particularly suck at anything,she isn't perfect and her manga has flaws but none of them are glaring and too obivious,she may not be great at everything but she isn't bad in anything either.other than fighting and battles of course.the only negative feature about d.gray man in my opinion is it's boring and un-choerographed fights.i only hated 3 arcs,in order 1-the lvl 4 akuma arc(worst arc) 2-phantom thief G arc 3-the Noah's ark Arc.

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
in a one on one fight
either cross, or kanda, and possibly tiki, bue lenalee is also good for single target

for big crowds, either tiedol or allen of course allen is also really good for single targed, lavi is also good for crowds but i dont think he can bring them down like tiedol or even marie

fuff

Reaction score
Country
Canada
tykki can go through anything so he might the strongest but the earls abiility has not been displayed properly

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Definitely Earl of the Millennium is the strongest character.He blew up entire Edo which puts him at solid city level character.

Calbalacrab

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
To me, Jasdevi.
The twins are underrated but they can create anything they think simultaneously. They just IMAGINED their combined form and that gave Krory one hell of a time.
They made a fake Earl with real strength.
They faced Apocryphos.
Their weakness is their childish behavior or else...

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
To me, Jasdevi.
The twins are underrated but they can create anything they think simultaneously. They just IMAGINED their combined form and that gave Krory one hell of a time.
They made a fake Earl with real strength.
They faced Apocryphos.
Their weakness is their childish behavior or else...
I don't think so.Earl is the first disciple of Adam and he has been shown as the strongest Noah.

They maybe very dangerous but don't forget their previous incarnations were killed by NEA who in turn was killed by the Earl.

Calbalacrab

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I don't think so.Earl is the first disciple of Adam and he has been shown as the strongest Noah.

They maybe very dangerous but don't forget their previous incarnations were killed by NEA who in turn was killed by the Earl.
Yeah I forgot to say “after the Earl” lol

Gladiolus

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Definetely the Earl is the strongest character so far. He can create an unlimited army of Akumas with pieces of his soul, can use magic, has the power to absorb souls and his Dark Matter abilities are able to blow up entire cities (he's so far the only character with this feat, maybe a Level 4 Akuma can come second in this department). And we may not even have seen all his skills yet. After him come (in my opinion):

-Apocryphos: Apparently inmune to any Innocence-based ability, can overpower a strong Noah like Tyki, was the only character able to injure Road and it took at least four Noahs (Jasdevi, Sheryl and the Noah with sunglasses) to capture him. We also may not have seen all of his abilities yet.
-Cross: Has (or had) the ability to manipulate two strong Innocences, defeated Tyki in his Noah mode without sweating, ultimately killed the first Level 4, can use magic and even the Earl was concerned about his presence. Probably the strongest Exorcist so far.
-Nea: This is speculation, since we still don't know all the details regarding him, but being one of the halves of the Earl is enough reason for me to consider him one of the strongest characters of the series. Also, even though we still don't know the circunstances behind this feat, he also killed ALL of the Noah Family except for the Earl (the top dog of the D. Gray Man universe) and Road (who cannot be killed by normal methods). This puts him in quite a high place for me.

The Heart of the Innocence (or its host in case it has one) may be or not a contender for the title of most powerful character. It depends if it is a true powerful device/being or if it simply is the thing that keeps the rest of the Innocences from disappearing.