Question - Why do some male characters look like females? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Why do some male characters look like females?

SHINOBI-03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the overall art of HxH ? I personally enjoy it. Togashi's expressions are AMAZING and so is his shading. I'm asking because in a YouTube video people were saying that Togashi's art is the worst art of all time O.o Example

"yuyu art is mediocre for shonen standards , i can name countless shonens that have better art then yuyu ( one piece being oneof them ) and hxh art is shit , i don't even know how can you argue that its better since its probably has the shittest art in shonen to this day , old shonen that came out in 1930's or something has better art then hxh...."

If you guys want to read more go to this link and look at all the comments from ZoroFTW9. Mind you, he's a Piecetard : P

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=psLkOxKSNIU
I see Togashi's style as a somewhat updated take on the retro style that was used back in the 80s and 90s. And from my view since it looks out of place next to the modern "hip" art style then it's obviously gonna look dated and bad. Look at Hell Teacher Nube (1993) for an example. Doesn't it look a little bit to what Togashi use?

Here's another example of a manga from the 80s (Don't know what's the name)

I'm also gonna put this for the heck of it

The other reason why they think it's bad is of course they read the unfinished manuscripts that are published in the magazines and don't bother to look at the refined artwork. And when we tell them that they still bash Togashi for being lazy compared to the big regulars.

This current generation of manga readers are spoiled I tell ya. If it's not super detailed then it's sh!t....

---

And going back to topic and still connect it to what I just wrote, look at Sasuke from Sasuke (1969)

He looks like a girl with his cute face and eyelashes, but he's still a boy. Wasn't this how little boys were drawn back then?

And need I mention Astro Boy? He looks a little girlish too with his big eyes, rosy cheeks and eyelashes.

futurefrog

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Togashi is a beautiful artist that uses a variety of techniques that he learnt over his near 30 years as a mangaka.
One thing that Togashi does that really stands out to me is how he paces out the highly detailed art interspersed by more simplistic.
Think for example of Netero's Nen Abilities, the money shot here:

He understands the importance of art like that, it highlights something. If every panel was like that, it wouldnt be special anymore. He creates unforgettable imagery by not blowing his load in every panel. He makes panels such as the one above SPECIAL and for that we remember such panels, they become ingrained into our mind and stay with us long after we have finished reading the chapter. Who could forgot the image of Chrollo conducting the requiem as he overlooks the burning city of Yorknew? It is images such as that that trascend being simply a panel of manga and becoming a work of art.

Togashi understands how to have readers on the edge of their seats and build atmosphere and he does so incredibly well with his mix of simple art and highly detailed masterpieces.

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
When I find the thread that it was meant to talk about Togashi art I'll move all the posts. Meanwhile just stay ontopic.

I mean, I know it's related but...gosh, DON'T FORCE IT.

Cinnabar

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I think Kikyo is upset she doesn't have any girls, so she dresses Kalluto like one. And I don't think even the Zoldycks know what Alluka's gender is (maybe it doesn't have one).
This.

This has been my headcanon for the longest time. YOU CAN'T CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE unless you're Togashi.

When I find the thread that it was meant to talk about Togashi art I'll move all the posts. Meanwhile just stay ontopic.

I mean, I know it's related but...gosh, DON'T FORCE IT.
Uriel to the rescue!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kurapika, Alluka, Kalluto, Pitou, and etc are all males but take on the appearances of females. Is there a reason togashi is doing this or is it just a fad he's into. :teehee
Alluka is a girl