Question - Why do you read mangas/comics/manhwa? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Why do you read mangas/comics/manhwa?

DoomedSoul

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Can all of you please answer my questions I need this information for school.

1. How did you come across mangas / comics / manhwas?
2. Why do you read manga / comics / manhwas?
3. What is your preferred medium for mangas / comics / manhwas & why is it so? (e.g. book, audio book, eBook, webtoon ...)
4. Why do you collect manga / comics / manhwas?
5. Did a manga / comic / manhwa motivate you to a sorten activity? (e.g. combat sport, dancing, racing, drawing ...)
6. Do you have a favorite character and why is he / she your favorite character?
7. Who is your favorite mangaka / author?
8. Why is he / she your favorite mangaka / author?
9. Are you going to comic or manga events? (e.g. Comic Con, Anime Impulse, WonderCon etc.)
10. Cosplay yes / no & why?
11. Do you buy merchandise yes / no & why?
12. Does your hobby affect your social / private life?

Thank you very much for taking your time.

Last edited:

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Cause it's fun and enjoyable and a good way to pass the time, like any other hobby

I don't really except for series I really enjoy

Not really, I do get online mh sometimes through my phone but it's like getting on Twitter, same thing. I do enjoy anime/manga but it's not an obession, it's like a hobby like anything else. Just for something to do in my free time

Sakazuki

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1 I grew up with the animes of Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Saint Seya, where I eas introduced to this kind of comics.

2 I started to read it to pratice my English, as I'm brazilian, and could read it earlier, as the first translation was always in English.

3 Webtoon. Just to save space in my apartment.

4 I collect One Piece and Slam Dunk, as are my favorites.

5 It was the other way arround: I loved basketball, and when I was introduced to Slam Dunk, it turned my favorite of all time. I recommed it to my students, as I'm a P.E. teacher.

6 Easily, Sakuragi from Slam Dunk. Based on Dennis Rodman, one of the greatest defesive players of all time.

7-8 Eiichiro Oda. Twenty years of working and he has a lot to say, and I still want to see his protagonist to achieve his dream.

9 I used to when I was a teenager, now I don't have the time.

10 No, too expansive and not my stile at all.

11 Yes, on my office and home.

12 Not at all, but I'm the only among my friends that likes it.

Hope to help.

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
1. How did you come across mangas / comics / manhwas? - Grew up with anime in childhood and eventually I discovered manga through the internet. Was a tad bit surprised to hear that most anime was adapted through manga. :P

2. Why do you read manga / comics / manhwas? - Well, just like any other person, I find them really fun and entertaining to read especially since there can be so many likeable characters. Not to mention, I have also been intrigued in stories, how everything and everyone interacts etc, basically same as with any other media lol, except I love the anime / manga culture more.

3. What is your preferred medium for mangas / comics / manhwas & why is it so? (e.g. book, audio book, eBook, webtoon ...) - Books, definitely. Although I mostly read online because there are hardly any manga available near me. :laser

4. Why do you collect manga / comics / manhwas? - I don't, for the reason above. XD

5. Did a manga / comic / manhwa motivate you to a sorten activity? (e.g. combat sport, dancing, racing, drawing ...) - Not really, other than reading them more lol.

6. Do you have a favorite character and why is he / she your favorite character? - Well, several favorite characters so I really don't know who is my number one lol.
7. Who is your favorite mangaka / author? - Either Togashi or Miura.

8. Why is he / she your favorite mangaka / author? - Able to write a complex and sophisticated story, relatable, well-developed and lovable characters along with a great feel to their mangas.

9. Are you going to comic or manga events? (e.g. Comic Con, Anime Impulse, WonderCon etc.) - Nope.

10. Cosplay yes / no & why? - Again no, I find it silly tbh lol.

11. Do you buy merchandise yes / no & why? - I would if I had the allowance :emocat

12. Does your hobby affect your social / private life? - I guess it does a tad bit since sometimes I tend to be stuck up at home, reading manga or watching anime all day long, so that can be a social impairment. :p

John Flume

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Because of the beautiful stories and art in them. I imagine that's the starting point for most people who come across anime. Either that or a deep love of Japanese culture.