WithYouInSpirit's Reviews | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

WithYouInSpirit's Reviews

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Here is a collection of my past manga reviews. I know this forum is archived but I'm going to post here unless i'm not allowed to.
Tokyo Ghoul:re 107
:new: Tokyo Ghoul:re 107 Review by WithYouInSpirit

Another week, another break, but the 2017 year has begun in earnest and Tokyo Ghoul:re is kicking it off with a bang! The public appearance of a shadowy urban legend, action, Kaneki looking fabulous as usual these days, it all rolls itself into one awesome chapter. Some of this week’s highlights include:

1. Donato’s Kagune and the torture of Urie
  2. The public appearance of V’s “Special Investigators”
  3. Kaneki’s newfound faith in others

Chapter Title: “V”

Donato’s Kagune and the torture of Urie:

The chapter starts off with a continuation of 106. Higemaru screams in pain and confusion as his right arm is dismembered, and Urie tries but fails to combat Donato’s curious Kagune. He is trapped in somewhat crucified as he is forced to watch the SS Rated Ghoul “Priest” tear his injured pupil to pieces…

Donato’s Kagune, like Kaneki’s, is a Rinakku type and we see this confirmed as his Kagune has a distinct tentacle-like appearance. It’s texture is also worth noting because the Kagune itself seems to be wrapped in a mass of some sort of white crosses. Catholic crosses perhaps? Furthering this train of thought, the way in which Urie was trapped on the ceiling could be seen as some form of crucifixion.

As far as his motives for targeting Urie, I can narrow it down to 2 possible scenarios. Either he wants to hold Urie as a hostage as leverage against Kaneki/lure him in, or he wants revenge against the Qs for “killing” his foster son Amon. I’m more willing to bet on the former, because Donato doesn’t come across as the kind of person who would act so irrationally as to go for mere revenge, but he is one of the Clowns, and their leader at that, so he’s pretty unpredictable.

The public appearance of V’s “Special Investigators”:

As we move away from the 2nd Ward and Donato, the scene switches to the ongoing battle between Kaneki’s White Suits and the Clowns in the 23rd Ward. The King is ready to depart early, having cleaned up the remaining Clowns faster than he thought, but suddenly they are set upon by black clothed figures wearing pastel masks and wielding Katana’s. “V” had finally showed themselves above ground. We find out that the majority of the CCG actually know of V, but only as an Urban Legend. The Mysterious servants of the Washuu that only appear when the CCG is in dire circumstances before an unbeatable enemy. Furuta hasn’t brought them into play just to continue playing to his charade though. He’s using these “Special Investigators” to get rid of the Black Goat organization as soon as possible. The Agents of V announce their arrival and being slaughtering the White Suits, injuring both Tsukiyama and Nishiki in short time. Kaneki manages to fight back effectively.

I really appreciate the way in which Ishida has finally inserted V into this arc. The fact that they have always been a part of the CCG’s structure ticks all the right boxes as far as introduction goes, and damn they look menacing. Those plain white masks and black attire truly make you see them as terrible monsters. I believe that they are most likely Ghouls, or Demi Humans due to the way Hirako described them. “A grown up 0 Squad”.

If these Agents continue to appear in the future, it may prove to be major problem for Kaneki. If Furuta truly knows of their intention to hit the Lab under cover of the confusion, then I can count on there being more of V's Agents being stationed beneath the 1st Ward. If the fact that Eto could effortlessly defeat scores of these people, and Kaneki has trouble with a dozen, it stands testament to how powerful the One Eyed Owl really was. And if Furuta could effortlessly defeat her, then just how powerful is he?

Kaneki’s newfound trust in others:

After choosing to leave the others behind, Kaneki hesitates to abandon them while enemies as dangerous as V are present. Kaya approaches him and tells him to leave it to them, and to try and put some faith in others. After giving this some thought, Kaneki caves in and tells Shuu to “Keep letting the world know that we exist, and that we’re here to stay” before ducking past the V Agents and heading off into the night. The chapter closing panel reads “To the Lab?...” and it makes me feel like Kaneki might not be going there at all. Could he be headed to the 2nd Ward to save Urie? If so, how does he even know what’s happening there?

A common theme in Tokyo Ghoul so far has been Kaneki’s reluctance or outright refusal to place faith in or trust others. This may be a result of his torture, or his selfish wishes to protect everyone. But in the past if asked to leave something so important to someone else he would have smiles and politely refused. The fact that he’s not only thanked and accepted Kaya’s offer to help and convincing him to trust them, but to trust Tsukiyama, someone who has hurt him in the past with the most important role truly shows just how far he has come in his development.

Predictions for 108:

While I think there’s a possibility that Kaneki is headed to the 2nd Ward, I see no way in which he could know what’s happening there, so I believe that he’s going to the Lab as planned. We will also have the confirmation of Higemaru’s death (If he is indeed dead). I can’t imagine that the Lab team will get inside so easily however. They will encounter a dangerous foe during the infiltration.

A great chapter that I’m giving a 9/10 for this week. The action phase of this arc will be beginning very shortly if things keep going at this pace.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 106
Tokyo Ghoul:re 106 Review by WithYouInSpirit

After the Double Issue we were given this little gem right before Christmas. A fitting present to finish off the year if 2017. Has anyone ever wondered if Kaneki would look good in a Suit? Well now we know. We know all too well. Chapter 106 of Tokyo Ghoul:re shows us a variety of epic fight scenes, food for thought, suspense and a nail biting cliff-hanger. Some of this week’s highlights are as follows:
  • The White Suits VS the Clown Troupe
  • Kaneki’s Mastery of his Kagune
  • Furuta’s ‘understanding’ of Kaneki’s plan
  • Suzuya’s Massacre
  • Urie’s confrontation against Donato

Chapter Title: “A Hopeless Course”

The first thing most people notice in a chapter is its title. 106’s title reflects Souta Furuta’s opinions on Kaneki’s ‘struggle’ against him. Little does he know of what Kaneki is truly made of. His strength isn’t his best quality. It’s his intellect.

White Suits Gang VS The Clowns:

What better way to try and get the humans of the CCG to agree to talk with Ghouls than to save them from their enemies? The chapter starts off with the White Suits Gang led by Kaneki who immediately begin ripping into the attacking Clowns. The Branch Chief Investigator and his fellow pinned down CCG Investigators are dumbstruck as to why Ghouls are attacking each other when they themselves are attacked from behind, only to be saved by Hirako and the rest of the former Zero Squad. This situation reminds me of various religious cults that have existed both in history and fantasy around the world. The CCG refuse to accept Ghouls on equal terms and still consider Hirako’s team traitors even after being saved by them. Furuta is akin to a cult leader who only feeds his subjects select information in order for them to believe what he wants them to believe.

Kaneki’s Mastery of his Kagune:

The rear attackers are then set upon by a huge writhing mass of Kagune. Who could wield this amount of Kagune? Only Ken Kaneki of course. He tears the Clowns apart remarking on how repulsive they are, landing lightly on his feet and adjusting his tie as the Investigators stand in awe and fear before the One Eyed King. Now I believe that this needs further discussion in the Tokyo Ghoul Section. The rate of manipulation (I'm dubbing it as ‘Kagune Manipulation Rating’ or KMR) that Ghouls have over their own Kagune varies, but let’s say that an average Ghoul has a KMR of 30%, since Kaneki has consumed Eto Yoshimura’s Kakuja form, his KMR has risen to at least 80%. The way he can release so many Kagune at once and the versatility and agility with which he can shape and transform those Kagune stand testament to just how far he has come with mastering the use of the Kagune.

Furuta’s ‘understanding’ of Kaneki’s plan:

After the White Suits engage the Clowns, news of this quickly reaches Furuta at the CCG Headquarters. He remarks upon the convenience of Kaneki arriving just in time to save the Investigators of the 22nd Ward and deducing that he was far too easy to read. Furuta believes that Kaneki is using Aogiri Tree’s tactic, which I interpret as the way in which they attacked Cochlea while the 11th Ward Raid had the CCG distracted in Tokyo Ghoul Part 1. However I don’t think Kaneki would allow himself to be so easily found out, or at least he would have prepared countermeasures if Furuta realised his plan to break into the CCG’s Lab in the 1st Ward.

Suzuya’s Massacre:

Not much to say here besides the fact that when Furuta gives him permission to kill everyone he simply swings Jason in a wide arc, lobbing the heads off dozens of clowns simultaneously, was an epic sight to behold indeed.

Urie confronts the ‘Crown Clown’ Donato Porpora:

This year we don’t have a flashy entrance or fight scene as a final pane but instead a dark and foreboding scene. Among the various squads and divisions spread around Tokyo dealing with the Clowns, Urie and his Quinx Squad are in the 2nd Ward dealing with the Arsonist Clowns. He and Higemaru proceeded alone into an abandoned building where the Ghoul who had just killed Hige’s Uncle was hiding. Urie remarks that the Kagune that had killed Higemaru’s relative was a peculiar kind of Koukaku, vaguely remembering a case file on a Ghoul that possessed that Kagune. He soon finds out as the two Investigators come face to face with the Leader of the Clowns, Donato Porpora wearing his eerie Clown Mask. Donato states that he has been waiting for Urie, and the latter warns Higemaru to keep his guard up if he didn’t want to die. The chapter ends with the Three facing off as Higemaru’s Right arm is severed by a Kagune from the darkness…

So it turns out that the prey that Donato was hunting was Urie all along. I can only assume that Donato plans to somehow lead him into conflict with Kaneki. Plus with the Plot Armour Urie has, Higemaru has the world's biggest Death Flag over his head right now. I predict that in the next chapter, Urie will go berserk and break his frame after Higemaru is killed, becoming a full Half Ghoul and being defeated by Dontato. Waking up as a prisoner of the Clowns, with his last vestiges of Humanity gone, he will have no choice but to assist the Clowns and encounter Kaneki eventually.

I rate this chapter 9/10 for its range of epic panels, fight scenes, possibility of further speculation and thrilling conclusion.

Yakusoku no Neverland 19
Yakusoku no Neverland - Chapter 19 Review by WithYouInSpirit

This manga has certainly leaped from the Author’s minds and hit the track running… and it’s still going strong with one of the best opening arcs of a Shounen manga I’ve seen in a long time. Chapter 19 was no exception as far as offering a variety of fantastic artwork, use of angles and shadows, another cover page filled to the brim with possibilities and so much more.

Some of this week’s highlights for Yakusoku no Neverland are as follows:

• Emma, Norman and Ray making peace with Don and Gilda
  • Ray’s meeting with Mama (Isabella)
  • Sister Krone’s offer of an alliance against Isabella

Chapter Title: “Out”

The first thing most people notice in a chapter is its title. This week’s title seems to have been intended to instill a sense of excitement as we near the day where Norman’s Escape Plan will begin.

Making Peace:

In the events of the last chapter, Don and Gilda’s trust for Emma and the others was nearly torn apart because of Krone’s scheming. After a short scuffle resulting in Don punching Ray and Norman in the face we see them all coming back together again. I loved the way in which we could clearly see Emma learning her lesson and admitting that they had been in the wrong by not telling Don and Gilda the whole truth from the start. With their trust rekindled it’s hoped that the supplies they have been gathering over the last few weeks will prove useful. Things such as Poison and a very short rope have been gathered and at this point I can’t tell you exactly how those will be applied to the escape plan but I have a rough idea.

The Poison will be used to either incapacitate the adults, allowing them to escape very easily.

The Rope will be used, possibly as a weapon but also as a means of mantling a wall or building.

The Meeting:

Ray… Easily the most devious character in this series thus far and the one who’s supposedly got both the children and Isabella in the palm of his hand. He attends a meeting with Mama and brushes off her inquiries about his injuries as a fight with Norman. That’s a pretty lame excuse if I do say so myself because Isabella was clearly dubious about it. He “updates” her on the latest events, rather uselessly considering Krone now knows exactly what’s up. Even if Ray’s supposed to be a double agent who’s working in favor of the children, the accuracy of the intel he does give Mama is frightening. These kids might seem like they’re getting out Scot free but this is no ordinary Shounen. Isabella does have the upper hand, but for how much longer? This is where she drops the bomb of the chapter. The next month’s shipment is being skipped at Ray’s request, so the shipment after that is past Ray’s 13th birthday. His turn is next…

Sister Krone’s Goal:

As the chapter draws to a close we have what we’ve been waiting for since last week. The moment when Sister Krone makes her move after overhearing the children’s whole plan. With one of the scariest and thrilling panels seen yet in this manga, Krone confronts Norman and Emma and the kids think it’s all over. They’re going to die. But wait, Krone has something she wants, the position of Mama. She’s going to do anything she can in order to get it as well. She knows everything now and she has the upper hand, but she has realized something. The kids want to escape, and she wants to become the Mama. If the kids do escape then Isabella will be punished and Krone can see herself gaining the position of her dreams. So instead of reporting it she does the unthinkable. She offers to assist the children in their escape…

Overall I rate this chapter 9/10 for it’s great mix of events and revelations.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 105
Tokyo Ghoul:re 105 Review by WithYouInSpirit

After a few weeks that could be called slow this chapter was certainly refreshing. It had just that right amount of “oomph” to kick off the upcoming Lab Raid Arc in earnest. Some of this week’s highlights are as follows:

• The Clowns explosive attack on the Valentines Parade
  • Uta and Nico’s appearance outside of the CCG Headquarters
  • Furuta taking full authority away from Matsuri
  • The inauguration of the new S3 Squad
  • Kaneki’s fantastic entrance

Chapter Title: “Stage”

The first thing most people notice in a chapter is its title. 105’s title was a nice little gem in my own opinion. It fits the chapter itself nicely as it is “setting the stage” for the upcoming arc.

The Valentine’s Day Massacre:

The chapter introduces us to a curious and twisted rendition of the infamous Valentine’s Day Massacre of 1929. However, this being Tokyo Ghoul, not just 7 people are killed. This is whole scale slaughter of innocents. I found myself shocked at the immediate dark turn the chapter took as one of the Clowns literally blew a child’s face off. As this is happening, coordinated attacks on all of the CCG’s Branch Offices are being carried out with military precision. As would be expected under these dire circumstances, the CCG is under prepared to respond to the threat. As more and more branch offices fall, the Investigators begin to suspect that Rank One Furuta’s suspicions were true and that the Clowns would attack the Headquarters in the 1st Ward next.

The Fulfillment of Furuta’s Premonition:

Isn’t it just great to see old familiar faces once again? Christmas of 2016 seems to be the time of appearance changes and hairstyles. This is compounded by Uta’s new mask and Nico’s fashion choices as they appear outside the CCG’s Headquarters with a large host of Clowns. The Crown Clown, Donato Popora is curiously absent, said to be scouting out their prey. At this point I cannot tell you what that might mean but I suspect that it has something to do with Kaneki and the Lab Group. Inside the Control Room, Special Class Matsuri Washuu is failing in his position as Acting Director and Chairman quite badly. He is nervous, jittery and is hesitating to give any meaningful orders. This Is Furuta’s time to strike where he is weakest. Barging into the Control Room Furuta uses what is later dubbed as “The voice of Yoshitoki Washuu” to reorganize the disarray of the S2 Division. He ask Juuzou Suzuya to lead his new S3 Squad, joined by Tooru Mutsuki and Shinsanpei Aura, move out to secure the front line against the attackers. As Matsuri is asked by Furuta to hold down the rear, his final clutches at real authority are gone. Souta Furuta Washuu is now Director and Chairman of the CCG in all but name.

Now we are at a crucial point in this story. Furuta is in control of almost all of the major factions in Tokyo at this point. The CCG, the Clowns and V. He is playing a grand game of chess where he is not the King but the Player itself, directing everything from on high, without anyone in the CCG seeming to even doubt him at this point in time. It’s looking almost impossible for Ken Kaneki to bring down the Washuu King, but this isn’t any helpless child we’re talking aboutanymore. Kaneki leads the only other major fighting force on the board, Black Goat’s Egg. This leads into the final highlight of the chapter.

The White Suits Group:

Kaneki certainly kept his promise. He’s utilizing the numbers that the White Suits have to his advantage in distracting everyone for just the right amount of time. The fact that he’s also entrusting the Suits Group to Tsukiyama shows how much of a long way their relationship has come since Tokyo Ghoul Part 1. In the far off 22nd Ward, Kaneki and the Suits Group appear just as the CCG forces there are weakening from the Clowns attack. Will they help the CCG? Will they help the Clowns? I’m not sure as to why Kaneki is even with them in the first place but his new Slicked hairstyle and suit are truly a sight to behold. Tsukiyama now has his own new hairstyle and mask that covers only the top half of his face. Kaneki tells Tsukiyama that he’ll stick by their side for 30 minutes before leaving. This brings things back into perspective. Kaneki is only with the Suits Group for the moment to help kick off their distraction. Who in their right mind would ignore even the smallest band of Ghouls if they were accompanied by the One Eyed King himself? It never ceases to amaze me that amongst all of Tokyo Ghoul’s tragedy and sadness, Kaneki always manages to keep his own sense of style in the foreground for the whole world to see. The next chapter should be covering the beginning of the battles in both the 1st and 22nd Wards. While chances are slim I do hold out hope that Urie and the Qs will encounter their old mentor in battle, something I’ve wanted to see for months.

I give this chapter a rating of 8/10. Plenty of epic panels, plot advancement and shocking scenes. Certainly a tough chapter to ignore in any case.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 83
Time for a Tokyo Ghoul:re review. This week, chapter 83: I heard the gate closing

Let me say this now. This chapter was amazing. The sheer scope of it in the way the plot has expanded from here is exceptional.
Ishida has masterfully taken Arima out of the game in a way that both his legacy and origins will be paved out by the one he chose to "leave behind", Ken Kaneki.
Aside from the emotional impact of the Reaper's passing, Marude's confrontation with Yoshitoki Washuu truly was surprising despite the fact that a major but subtle hint was dropped in the period between the two arcs. Now we have some context behind Uries reaction to the food he was served by Matsuri, who is assumed to also be a ghoul.

Conspiracy, Emotion and Unconventionality are Ishida Sui's trademark styles that make up this gripping narrative. I give this chapter a full 10/10 rating

Last edited: