Final - Yakusoku no Neverland vs. Death Note | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Yakusoku no Neverland vs. Death Note

Who wins?

• Yakusoku no Neverland

• Death Note

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Yakusoku no Neverland
Kaiu Shirai
Posuka Demizu
-

Death Note
Tsugumi Ohba
Takeshi Obata

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
SILENT VOTE

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
DEATH NOTE

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Wow @revo amazing !!!! :zomg you definitely can do it !! I do enjoy Death Note a lot congrats to Gajeel to made it so far, but you can count on my support

Some little present for you, enjoy !

in case the video doesnt work when embedded here's the link :
Code:
https://streamable.com/q0ocl
Music : Kaze no Uta by Minako Honda (HxH ed1)

Takuan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Seems like i missed this event :disappoint sometimes i should force myself to get out of my cavern and see what's happening outside...

Would have been a nice opportunity to learn more about mangas i didn't read (aka pretty much everything that was nominated). That being said, i know and have read Death Note, and i loved it. I'm actually fairly impressed that it managed to go into the finals of the Manga Wars, i didn't think Death Note was that popular.

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
It's not that TPN is bad in any sense of the word at all

It's just that Death Note is the industry standard

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Good luck @GajeelNashi! :verily
The Promised Neverland
"She is, for all intents and purposes, their mother, though they have no blood relation. They spend most of their waking time together, but they are not siblings. This is the Grace Field House, an orphanage. I am an orphan... or so I thought."

Meanings

Now, I talked about the symolism and meaning of "The Promised Neverland" with the Peter Pan book here.
The path the plot follows is about the "Lost Kids" (orphans) who search for the surviving and meaning of a world they thought they knew well, but it turns to be their complete and constant enemy. All what they knew about it and about themselves, turns to be a lie told by adults, and they have to learn how to think, fight and grow up while these "adults" become their enemies.

A shonen that talks about the good and warm life of a bunch of orphans who live surrounded by a kind mother, great food, love and caring of everyone turns to be a lie. They're meat waiting to their end and the adulthood is nothing but a lie.

The goals of the characters are changing at each truth they discover: from saving themselves to everyone; fom trusting to become an enemy, from think they live in a safe world to start the searh of a "Neverland" for them. Where do they come? What is their real destiny in that orphanage? What is the real world like? Is it safe or is it dangerous too? Are they alone or are people on their side? Also, what is the real origin of the world?

All these questions are answered while trying to find a place where they can live safe and happy, a paradise for kids: the same goal of the J.M Barrie tale about kids living in a Neverland where they are far away from adults who lie and manipulate them.

Battles

Between the good, comforty life they've had since they were born, the kids grew up with a (suspicious) high quality education, always taking IQ tests, becoming completely inteligent in their house where they don't know about the rest of the outside world.

The battles of the first big part of the series are nothing of action, but mental ones. The emotional part is important too since the characters have to fight against the ones who raised them, who gave them the education that made them so inteligent; and the deep maternal love, even if it becomes a lie, is strong since their "Mother" (Isabella) is manipulative on her care on the kids, and she's a genious when it comes to mind and strategy, knowing every step that all of her "daughters and sons" are going to make against her.

The education they received, the high quality tests, were something made to be against them; but the orphanages learn how to think for themselves and use it as the main tool for their survival and escape.
First part of the manga is about reading the hypothesis and plans of the children, but also how the enemy (the mothers) will react and attack against this.

Their enemies are manipulative ones: both the kids and the mothers know each other from all their lifes, a big family who starts to suspect about to each other, not knowing which kid is on their own side or if there is a single adult who actually cares about them.

Why it works

A story about a bunch of kids with a high inteligence, working in the formula of a shonen, doesn't sound too convincing at first. But it works. One of the good things about the manga is how it makes you believe everything it writes, you actually feel like one of the orphanages, getting in their fears and explications, the mysteries are explicated in a clear way, with also different points of views from all the characters.

And again, it's focused on kids of all things, the battles of minds come with the forced growth and maduration: the more they know and learn, the more their innocence and happiness are broken. Knowing more about what is around them makes life worse, but it works for surviving.

TPN explains how life isn't what it looks like, how the world isn't as good as everyone is taught, how childhood can be hard and made of a bunch of lies.

One of the big doubts about the manga is the "drop of quality" that the latest chapters were having. But TPN is not over yet, it's an ongoing shonen and it still holds the dark world and plot of characters learning how to grow up and explore the world and life on their own.

TPN is not over yet, please give it a chance (๑>ᴗ<๑)୨

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Was expecting MiA vs TPN/Fumetsu in the finals..

This is an easy choice!

TPN ftw! :blai

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
One of the facts that makes Death Note unique to itself is that compared to the majority of shounen manga, Death Note’s main character does not follow the same routine storyline. Most of them start with a character(s) that has certain struggles in their life and they have to work hard enough until they can get rid of their problems and reach their goal(even Detective Conan which is the same genre as DN has that routine). At the beginning of Death Note, Light Yagami doesn’t have any flaw. He is the number one nationwide student of Japan, has a normal family and his future life secured by being so intelligent and he even attracts all the girls at his school. You couldn’t ask for more in my opinion. But that’s exactly what makes Death Note even more interesting. How could a flawless main character like Light make such an interesting manga like Death Note? For that, we'll have to check Light Yagami’s evolution thru the manga. (simplified)

At first, we got a young 17 year old Light Yagami, number one student of Japan, which goes to school like anyone else and lives his life without any problem. Keep in mind that Light Yagami's dad is a police officer and so there's a certain sense of justice running in his family.

At one point, Light finds a Death Note on the ground and decide to take it. At the beginning, he seemed skeptical about its power after reading the rules but after some time, he decided to give it a try and that’s when he noticed that the object was no fake. After killing some people, he began to ask himself if what he was doing is right and if that does make him a murderer. He then came to realize that what he was doing was justice since he was cleaning the rotten world of its criminals.

This is where it gets interesting. After some time, Ryuk, the Shinigami that threw the notebook in the human world, finds Light. When Light saw him, he thought that he would have to die because he used the Death Note. That moment shows us that Light was already willing to sacrifice himself by bringing justice in the world. He really had good intentions.

The turning point that changed Light was when Ryuk told him that he wouldn’t interfere and won’t punish him for what he’s doing. That’s when Light understood that no matter what he does, he won’t be stopped by anyone. He developed an ego and an ideal where he was a living God that had to bring justice to the world. He would become the savior of the world.

Then came the moment when L (I guess we could call him the main antagonist??) defied Kira (Light). It enraged Light to see that the police was against him since he thought that he was justice. Both sides thought that the other one was wrong in their way of bringing justice. Now, Light would not only kill criminals but also those that dared to oppose him. And that’s what makes Death Note what it is. An interesting psychological battle between masterminds with different point of views that will captivate you, blow your mind and make you rethink about your morals and ideals.

Interesting fact about Light Yagami
(kinda explains how Light became like that)
spoilers

At a certain point in the manga, something very interesting happens to Light and it makes us understand a bit more about his character. When you lose ownership over a Death Note, you lose all your memories related to it. You forget everything that you have done in it and you also forget the Shinigami. So when Light relinquished his Death Note, he forgot everything and restarted acting like the student he was before he found the notebook. The interesting part about this is that he actually tried to help L catch Kira afterward. That gives us a great perspective about how Light would have been if he never found the Death Note. It also makes us understand that power can corrupt you no matter who you are. That's one very interesting moral from the story.

Will post more later depending on my schedule

@revo You too :verily

Last edited:

Tatsumaki

Reaction score
Country
France
The 2 campaigns were great !
I'll definitely give a try to TPN when I'm done with my exams.
For now I'll vote for the manga that got me hooked from the very first chapters. The one who made me have great debates with my friends and question my own morals and idea of justice. Even though I know all its plot twists, I still have as much fun every time I read it again. Also I love Ryuku.
It's old and it might not be the best manga the world has ever seen but it's a classic that most of us enjoyed. It deserve to win this war for me :nod
Voting Death Note.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Death Note failed after a certain character died. :notrust

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Some good images before writing~

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Some aspects of Neverland

The characters

Alongside the main trio (Emma, Ray and Norman) the characters we roote for in the story are the orphanages in their journey to find a better place, a better world where they can live safely. They're going to go through complex strategies, plans and fights in order to keep themselves and each other surviving.

We see them helping, saving and taking care of each other (or there's even suspections and lack of trust between each other). They're the brothers and sisters who will grow up physically, idiologically and mentally through the story; will also find other type of people who are in their same situation, or even worse.

The world

TPN is a fantasy world but a realistic one at same time. The children have no idea how the vast world looks like and neither do we. And one of the main aspects of the series is the adventure to explore that world.

It's not only big and difficult because they're all kids under fifteen years old, but because of being used to a life full of lies and comfort, having no idea who they are, where they come from and how life really is; it's a world full of new fantasy creatures and dangerous places.

The fights
So of course, the get used to such a vast and unknown world, the characters have to learn how to fight and not only to beat their enemies in an intellctual battle. TPN follows the shonen path of having action in the story, but with the difference that none of the kids are born with some hidden power, or a powerful magic to use. We'll see them in the beginning to learn how to fight, and of being forced to forget the comforting and spoiled life they used to have.

I've talked a lot of the constant intellectual battles, where they have to guess and try to be a step ahead their opponents. But just as the world is completely new for them, everything is more dangerous and cruel than it was in the firsts bitter truths they discovered; and thinking and making mental tactics ian't going to be enough for surviving between the new fantastic nature and creatures they will find.

The mystery
Outside the surviving and to find a place to live happly (a "Neverland"), the world of TPN is full of mysteries as well.
What is the world? What's the origin of it? What means "saving" it and what will happen after that? Why do they the orphanages, the children– live the life they always had? What is their purpose?
The journey looks to be only the surviving of some few kids, yet it grows to be something that opens more and more questions, making more hard and inhuman truths to show up.

Please vote for Neverland *:・゚✧

Last edited:

Lomahongva

Reaction score
Country
Spain
So, one of the best mangas of all time vs one of the best current mangas...

My, my...

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The Four Main Characters
Light Yagami(Kira), the 'Chosen One'
Light is an extremely intelligent student that is naturally loved by everyone both at school and at home. He has a strong sense of justice like his dad and sometimes helps his dad to resolve some police cases. After being corrupted by the Death Note, Light began to develop a very narcissistic personality with a strong will to achieve his goal which is a world without injustice. An utopia where he is a living God (Kira) saving the world by making his own. He wouldn't mind sacrifying everything he has in order to achieve his dream. His morals/ideals and the way he perceives the world will totally change the way you see things in real life.

Ryuk, the apple lover.
Ryuk is the main shinigami of the story. He is the one that dropped the Death Note in the human word and I quote the reason: 'It's because I was bored'. Ryuk is what we call the clown of the manga. He has a very funny and strange personality that will make you laugh while reading. He isn't on any of the two sides and acts like a spectator even though he might helps Light sometimes to keep himself entertained. He's very loved by the majority of the fan base for being so unique. Even though he's not on anyone's side, Ryuk plays a big role in the story.

L, the world-renowned detective
L is a very famous detective that works on the police side of the story. He's a bit older than Light and has many strange habits such as staying on a chair on his feet or biting his thumb when thinking. Being an internationally known detective, L has an intelligence that can be compared to Light's, maybe even better. For example, he wouldn't show himself or tell his name knowing that Kira needs those information to kill people. Being on the police side, he's against Light and his ideologies and morals. His goal thru the manga is to find out and prove who Kira is and stop him from mass murdering criminals. A very mysterious character that doesn't share Kira's ideologies and morals and also the main opponent of Light

Misa Amane, best girl of Death Note

Misa is a famous-to-be model. She's a beautiful young lady that got her hands on a Death Note and also on the shinigami eyes that we talked about in the rules. She is known as the second Kira in the story and has a 'romantic relationship' with Light. Misa likes Light and would do anything for him because she sees him as her savior. He's the one that killed the criminal responsible for the murder of her parents. She would find people's names for Light with her eyes and she's also very loyal to him, and when I say loyal, I'm talking about on Hachiko's :emocat level. Even though she only lives for 'her boyfriend', Light only sees her as a tool that he can use in order to fulfill his dream. She might not be as bright as Kira and L but she plays an important role in the story and she is really enjoyable to see because of her childish behavior that changes the atmosphere.

Symbolism
I've already talked about this subject in the past but I'll go a bit deeper this time. One of the things that fascinated me while reading Death Note is the amount of christian symbols that you can find in the manga. The manga was written in Japan and the story takes place in the same country so the fact that the authors gave such a signification to a religion that isn't proper to their country is just amazing and shows the complexity of the manga itself. Not only did they introduce a culture that isn't their own, they also put Japanese culture inside the manga to create a mix between the twos. Here are some examples:

The Apple

The apple represents the forbidden fruit from Adam and Eve. In the Bible, it is said that Adam and Eve consumed the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil when God told them not to. A certain snake, that can be interpreted as Satan, convinced the two humans to eat the forbidden fruit by saying that it will give them the power of God and so they did which got them banned from the Garden of Eden. So back to the manga, we can make a double interpretation about the apple. One of them is the actual red apple that we see most of the time during the story that literally represents the forbidden fruit. The other interpretation is the Death Note itself. Basically, Ryuk(Satan) dropped the Death Note(Forbidden fruit) in the Human World which eventually made Light(Adam and Eve) fall for it and take the Death Note to grant the power of a God

Ryuk's wings

Ryuk's wings resemble those of a raven/crow doesn't it? Who would have thought that such a normal looking design could interpret a big symbol. So what does it mean? Ravens/crows are animals associated to Death for their black colour and their diet which is dead animals. So Ryuk having those wings represents Death which isn't a secret since he's a shinigami(God Of Death)

The Shinigamis

Shinigamis are a very popular part of the Japanese folklore. They are God of Death that ensure that people die when their time comes and guide them to the afterlife. We could say that they are what the Grim Reaper is from the Bible even though they might be some little differences.

Trinitarianism

I found this one on the internet and I really found it interesting so I'll share it here. Trinitarianism is a belief from Christianity that says that God exists as 3 different people. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. If we say that Light is the bad person in the story, and so interprets Satan, we could say that the trio L-N-Mello refers to the Trinitarianism and so, God. So we could say that the manga is a fight between God and Satan. Interesting fact.

Pictures
Here are some panels from the manga, might not be a lot but it tells a lot about the art style.

Death Note, the manga that brought many people to the manga/anime fanbase. A manga that will reach you deep in your heart with all kind of emotions such as happiness, sadness, anger, surprise, fear. Death Note will make you change your perspective about justice, ideologies and morals. A manga rich in culture that will hook you like no other manga out there. Give it a try!

Last edited:

XXGenesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
I've never read Death Note only saw the anime...Which leaves Yaskusoku no ever land to be the default winner if it's soley manga...

Gajeel

Reaction score
Country
Romania
There isn't much difference between the manga and the anime to be honest. If you want to read or see the manga of Death Note, feel free to message me :super, I'll give you a link.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Alright.

So there's adventure

Action

Mystery & horror

Great villans that go from manipulative and cynical to terrifying:

All of these antagonist will influence in the training of mind and body in all the steps of the journey. They make the orphanages to think and make strategies in order to survive and attack.

The one who has the biggest affect in them, is their maternal figure, Isabella.

Despite all the opponents that will come, she's is the greatest and most interesting from them all. Why? It gives the kids the development they need, it's her nature and inteligent mind what forces them to grow up and accept that she gave them a life of lies:

"You must be in pain. You must be suffering... you've lost your wings, realized that you're trapped and lost your pillar of moral support on top of it all. You poor thing... I can only imagine your dispair. Give up already darling~"

By growing up with her, all the elements and traits and personality the protagonists have are thanks to her.
The rivalry of minds works great because all the form of thinking and all the inteligence the kids use for their tactics, are things they learned from her, from their enemy, their mother.
The rivalry is also manipulative thanks to the inevitable emotion that exists between them in their battles. After all, it's a mother-sons relationship.

And it also makes the reader feel tense and claustrophobic, almost sad too, by feeling like a little kid just like the characters, when the only adult and person who raised them is the one who can put an end to everyone, when the opportunities of winning something seem inexistent.

In who can they find suppor then? Is it possible to cheat an adult who raised and educated them all their lives? Are they alone? What will come next?

Vote for the future.
Vote for the children. :lambirb
Vote for Phil. :lambirb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.