Discussion - Yaoi for... fanBOYs?! | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Yaoi for... fanBOYs?!

wizli

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Chile
My male best friend is actually scared of the yaoi mangas I use to read xDDD, but he loved Gravitation, specially the character of Ryuichi Sakuma and his pink bunny Kumagorou.

Let's see, some yaoi and bl-ish manga with interesting plot:

- Anything by Kazuma Kodaka (like 'Kizuna', 'Kusatta Kyoushi no Houteishiki' and 'Mesaze Hero')
- 'Love mode' by Yuki Shimizu
- 'Koori no Mamono no Monogatari' by Shiho Sugiura
- 'Asterisk' by Morimoto Shuu
- 'FAKE' by Sanami Matoh
- The 'Viewfinder' series by Ayano Yamane

Other interesting mangaka are Miyamoto Kano, Naono Bohra, Yaya Sakuragi, Akira Kanbe, Mika Sadahiro...

Last edited:

mewtant_x

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I am a hardcore yaoi fan, commonly known as Fujoshi. I read both Shounen-ai, true blue yaoi (M18 ones) and doujinshi, as well as watching these animes and listening to Drama CDs.

Frankly speaking, the main attraction of yaoi is the love relationships. Many females in Japan and Asia are embrassed to watch or read M18 stuff with female characters in it. Also the "Mr Perfect" is being taken up by a female character will cause a lot of jealousy among the fangirls, most will start cursing the female character. There are attempts in the early days by female mangaka or authors by replacing the "female" with a "male", it is very popular among female audiences, as a result Yaoi genre is formed.

All the guys I knew are turned off by the true yaoi ACGs. These are mostly love relationships and M18 scenes. It is believed over here that guys who like the hardcore yaoi are abnormal. A few bookshops that sell these stuff forbid male entry. However, there may be some guys reading or watching the Shounen-ai, because of the adventure component. Most of the guys I knew found these very boring, possibly the story is being told in a feminine manner.

goal

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I am a female and wanted to say whay yaoi appeals to me. Personaly want to read a shoujo/josei manga with a mature/adult theme (M18+). But I dont find the quality of romance, character intensity and plot depth in that genre matches the quality of yaoi. All these elements are better in yaoi. If you go through Viewfinder series or Totally Captivated, I think you would agree with me.
I like strong sexy male leads and Asami Ryuichi in Viewfinder is unparralled, in my opinion.
If you disagree with me, let me know:)

Last edited: