Theory - Ymir ackerman | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Ymir ackerman

serban

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Ymir is the head of the Ackermans which had to sacrifice herself for the "happiness" of a great number of people (reiss family + the remaining ackermans).

the facts that support the theory:
1. very loyal to 1 person: historia (mikasha ->eren; kenny ->uri; levi -> erwin);
2. direct, cynical speech pattern + facial expression- idem ackermans
3. 60 years living as a mindless titan (the wall was already build); the conflict between the royal end the ackermans started for already 40 years. kennys grandfather knew something about the world history, but not everything - as same as ymir ( they were aprox the same age)
4. she could understand the warrios hate towards the reiess family (king reiss manipulated memories and thoughts - zeke considers it a tragedy.. i would agree on this one and probably call reiss evil. Ymir believed that, once the coordinate isn't in the hands of reiss anymore, humanity still had a chance
5. ymir lack of surname
6. i don't remember ymir fighting skills but historia mentioned she deserved to be in the top 10. "It is implied that she intentionally gave less than her full effort so that Krista could have the 10th slot." (ymir wiki)
7. her titan is very agile, with great speed

sorry, this theory may have inconsistency, but there are this coincidences, which are hard for me to overlook. i just want to hear your opinions. thanks!

ReinerBraun

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I don't think Ymir is loyal to Historia as the others. She has a resolve to pursue her own cause. According to Historia's account, Ymir is a person who can live on her own, which is unlike her who often depends on the others. When Christa grew into Historia, Ymir completed her mission and left for her own cause. I think Ymir is either a Reiss or a family very close to Reiss, since she knows the secret of Reiss family.

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Well it's a shame that my reply was deleted when it could've been transfered here, but oh well.

I'll just say that it doesn't make sense for Ymir to be the "head" of the Ackermans because:

- at that time, when the head had to sacrifice himself/herself, there were plenty of Ackermans around (this was before the persecution);
- Ymir was just an underage teen, and as such it's highly unlikely that she was the boss of anything, when there should be older and more experienced Ackerman around...

ufnovaes

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It's a interesting theory. I don't agree with some parts, but it's to be taken into consideration.

downright

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
It's exciting to think that she was disguised as a man during that lifetime.
My memory is impaired but didnt she say people were against her? Ackermans disaproved her to marry outside the family,
or to a female? Plus she was worried about mikasa but that might be becose they where to be involved later on..
About that man who sacrificed himself for acker family, or is she too young?.. someone here should know better when that was.
My timeline is screwed. And maybe stupidackertitans are far dangerous and this is why she managed to eat a titan where there were three titans around. But it seems to me she doesn't have powers, she used to be like Historia. Then again she changed. One time she said thats its not right to commit suicide just because of superiors death.. we could consider that too.

Last edited:

AndyTheAMPanda

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
serban said:
1. very loyal to 1 person: historia (mikasha ->eren; kenny ->uri; levi -> erwin);
2. direct, cynical speech pattern + facial expression- idem ackermans
3. 60 years living as a mindless titan (the wall was already build); the conflict between the royal end the ackermans started for already 40 years. kennys grandfather knew something about the world history, but not everything - as same as ymir ( they were aprox the same age)
4. she could understand the warrios hate towards the reiess family (king reiss manipulated memories and thoughts - zeke considers it a tragedy.. i would agree on this one and probably call reiss evil. Ymir believed that, once the coordinate isn't in the hands of reiss anymore, humanity still had a chance
5. ymir lack of surname
6. i don't remember ymir fighting skills but historia mentioned she deserved to be in the top 10. "It is implied that she intentionally gave less than her full effort so that Krista could have the 10th slot." (ymir wiki)
7. her titan is very agile, with great speed
1. She wasn't that loyal to Historia, yes, Historia's well-being is her main concern, but at the end she left her with the SL in order to go and help Reiner and Bertholdt. I'm not saying she has zero loyalty, but the Ackermans seem to favor it over acting rationally (most of the time, at least). Ymir is more cunning than any of them.
2. To be fair, the Ackermans aren't the only cynical people, the shifters, Jean and Nile also seem to be this way. As a matter of fact I'd say Annie is way more stoic than Ymir, and she sure is not an Ackerman.
3. Even if Ymir was around when the king started persecuting the Ackermans it doesn't mean she had to be involved.
4. She didn't outright stated she understood the hate towards the king, she only said she understood the situation both Reiner and Bertholdt were in and what they were trying to accomplish.
5. I think her surname might indeed reveal important information but it doesn't necessarily means she's an Ackerman.
6. To be fair, there were other non-Ackermans that surpassed her skills. Krista said that it was talked among the cadets that Ymir deserved the 10th place more than her, which is enough to quality for the military police but is still behind the others.
7. Annie's titan is also agile and fast.

I tend to think if Ymir is related to anyone it may be Eren, her titan, Grisha's and Eren's have more feral features than those of the warriors, they both have gray eyes and black hair in the manga, not to mention Grisha was already revealed to come from outside the walls. Of course I might be also grasping at straws, so it's just a theory.