Character - Yona Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Yona Discussion Thread

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Yona Discussion Thread

This thread is for everything related to Yona.

Feel free to discuss everything related to her here.

SamuelDean

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
I like her. I think she has a big heart and is able to see the events more realistic than other people. On the other hand, she has still a lot to learn and I would appreciate it, if Yona had to solve some riddles for herself instead of getting pampered by the gods.

@Aylinn

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Overall, I think she is ok. Nothing special, but not bad either. At the beginning of the story she is showed very well. Kusanagi manages to make people feel sorry for a spoiled princess. This is no mean feat.

However, I think there was lack of ideas how to develop her relationship with Hak.

Secondly, there should have been a clearer purpose to her journey or it would be good if she obtained one in the process some time ago. This manga is most likely entering its final arc and there are still many people who think that Yona will be the ruler when the story does not show her interested in ruling or learning useful stuff or forming a vision how the country should be like.

And I agree that there should be more of her dealing with consequences of her own actions and actually learning from failures.

Mini_kinkin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I love Yona's character. She is a sincere, hardworking, inspiring, a good leader. She is also stubborn and wants to do what she sets out to do. Kusa made a good girl boss type of character which is rare in mainstream Shoujo.

I also love her dynamic with Hak, it's cute and funny, and we fangirls love to fangirl over this relationship.

Yona also teaches us something so important - that people change and forgiveness is important. In the beggining she was so scared of Soo-Won, but now she can look him in the eye and talk to him. She is also able to move past what he did and work together with him. It's really amazing.

Yona had to solve some riddles for herself instead of getting pampered by the gods
Yona did, she solved the biggest internal struggle of accepting Soo-Won as a king and working together with him for Kouka. Gods didn't do that for her.

SamuelDean

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Yona did, she solved the biggest internal struggle of accepting Soo-Won as a king and working together with him for Kouka. Gods didn't do that for her.
I am still not content with the Xing arc and I think I would have prefered if Yona had not been protected so much.

The Conqueror

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Think she is fine for now. Hardworking girl. I hope we get some awesome display of her powers soon tho.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I am wondering if Yona had a prophecy during her childhood that led her father preventing Soo-won entering King Hiryuu's chamber.

lindananahayashida

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
tbh i love her.. at least more than most female leads.. she is probably my second favourite lead surpassed by mogami kyoko..

but the problem is.. her character changes from arc to arc.. well not in a developed way.. but in a different way..

her character was most beautiful in the water tribe/nadai or whatever it is called arc..(personality wise) even tho she didnt do much there..

she sved soo wons life ny shooting the person in the roof(or at least did as much as soo won did).. n returned the favor that soo won did by saving her from the arrows.. n the stare down before looking away.. it was beautiful..

her concern for lili n aggressiveness towards soo won was also very nice.. n also the decision to stay with lili by herself (even tho zeno ended up staying).. made her look very bold..

her dance performance n saving lili was cool n baddass at the same time..

over all i liked her character in this arc the most.. or i remember more cool moments of her from this arc..

aside from that.. tae-jun arc maybe? the way she showed leadership by deciding to let tae-jun go.. put jer almost on per with soo won.. she showed the ability whom n where to put her trust.. n the warning she gave tae-jun.. id always remember that.. for the first time she proved that even when big matters come to play like war (or something like that).. she wont hesitate to kill without mercy..

tho i didnt like how she treated lili in idk nadai arc?.. i thought since she faced similar situation like lili(being weak n helpess not being able to do anything).. she told lili to go to safe place.. where soo won understood her commitment way before even tho yona shouldve known her better..

i thought since she was weak once.. she wouldn't tell another weak person that they should go to somewhere safe.. specially after seeing how much lili tried to involve herself.. i thought she of all people would notice it faster that lili wanted to be helpful.. that was a let down

her character in xiing arc was a bit a let down as well.. first.. it was pretty obvious that xiing wouldve lost to kouka.. even if kouka didnt win by themselves.. with the dragons n yonas assistance they wouldve.. for sure! not telling the dragons to fight back as their leader.. only helped xiing.. idk how i should take this..

i wouldve liked it if she was bolder.. like.. asking the dragon to get out of there immediately.. n also saying to kouren something like.. "you wont be keeping my companions as hostage.. but i promise to do my best for xiing n koukas sake.. the dragons will come with me.. & you cant stop me from taking my comrades back" or something along those lines.. that wouldve showed that she is responsible towards the people she gathered for herself..

but in any case.. she isnt a crybaby.. n i love her anyway.. she is obviously one of my top 10 fav AkaYona character..

Last edited: