Discussion - Your Favorite FOOD? Etc. | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your Favorite FOOD? Etc.

faintsmile1992

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Soja and mushrooms... That's why i will never be vegetarian
Well good mushrooms taste good but are quite expensive. Soja is just boring food. I don't know what japanese find in tofu, only the texture makes it interesting.
A Frenchie who doesn't like mushrooms?

And you're missing the point of tofu which is that it absorbs flavours, but you must blanch it first for one minute to get the full absorption of the flavours. Besides theres more to soya than tofu lol. I love tamari soya sauce and miso and I drink soya milk.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I like mushrooms but as i said they are too expensive too eat them regularly unless you are in an area where to pick them.
I like soja sauce but that can barely be called nutritive. Soja milk is just an erzatz, it's ok from time to time but the original is tastier and has much more use in cuisine.
I'm sorry but as a meat lover, you won't make me dream with soja

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
And I know where to pick them!

Soy milk isn't just ersatz, though, its a traditional East Asian staple. Here in Bangkok they seem to sell more of it than cow milk.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Yes asia doesn't have a milk culture. Which is one of the reason they don't eat sweet that much. It means also no yoghurt and no cheese which is simply not possible

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Yes asia doesn't have a milk culture. Which is one of the reason they don't eat sweet that much. It means also no yoghurt and no cheese which is simply not possible
Well cheese can be made from soy milk. It does taste like cheese, just not necessarily the right kind of cheese lol. There is also soy based yoghurt available, too.

I have no problem making milk loaves and stollen with soy milk, and people can't tell the difference, so it has uses in baking.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't much about soja milk but it does not seem like there is a soja butter which is limiting for patisserie
But replacing milk with soja milk in our european receipes really looks like the definition of an ersatz to me :-)

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I've never made patisserie, just regular baking. And you're right, it was as a substitute lol.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Basic patisserie is easy but without butter and milk, it becomes more complicate :-)
I guess you can make the entremets and the pancakes with soja milk. But no pies or cakes without butter. There is probably something which can replace it but i don't know about it

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Well I never do basic, I just go in at the deep end. :p

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well i find a simple pie much tastier than a lot of complicate desserts. And why bother learning how to make croissants when professionals do them much better than you.

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
To beat the professionals?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well try to make a pâte feuilletée first and we'll see then. I prefer wasting my time in something more rewarding. I have no intention to enter the foodbusiness

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Its just puff pastry isn't it?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well if you are an expert in puff pastry making i wouldn't say that you never did patisserie cause it is one of the hardest pastry to do. At least to me

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Oh I've never made it, I just know what it is and I have an idea how to do it. You.ve given me an idea for something to do when I get back back home, K-Dom.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well good luck then, but i would advice to start with the other pastries first.

faintsmile1992

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I'm lied recovering in bed, thinking of recipes to try lol.

rudorofu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anything that would be categorized as sweet or a dessert is absolutely my favourite! Whenever I go out to eat, I always look for the dessert section first XD And during buffets, I generally don't eat a lot in the meals, but save myself for hogging the desserts :3 Yes, I cook, but only occasionally. I've taken classes in high school where baking and cooking were involved and now that I'm in university living away from home, I sometimes go over to a friend's to cook for a group of people during dinner. As for secret recipes, nope. My parents are definitely the cooks within the household. Me on the other hand, I follow recipes that have been made by other people and follow them step-by-step.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Hmm favorite food? It's hard to choose. I like almost everything. I'm gonna go for the potato since I liked as a kid and still like it to this day, and you can do a lot of stuff with it.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I normally prefer fruit, vegetables, pizza, sweets and something like fast food (different types). The thing I'm most addicted to are fruit and sweets. I can eat tons of sweets a day.:))) Especially when it's chocolate.;)
As for non alcoholic drinks... I like juice and Lipton and Nestea. I just can't live with them in the morning.:))