Shounen - Zan by Sugita Naoya | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Zan by Sugita Naoya

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Re: ZAN releases and dicussion: c005 (LATEST CHAPTER) by [jump-scans]

yeah, but you can not say for zan it's doing bad atm... it's already 5 chapters far and it hasn't still been in de danger zone, compared to other new shounen that came out. Btw, how are these things decide (because mieru hito is on the lowest part for ages and but is luckily still ongoing)

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

they have polls that they ask and it determines the position like 8 weeks ahead i think

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

And... that's how they decided dropping something or not? Lame, okay a magazine has to be sold better. But isn't it logical that except for popular, there's something like alternative. You can't make a mag comepletely out of op, naruto,... I am glad there are alternative manga like zan, muhyo, mieru hito,...

-> me glad too, over time is doing well

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

it probably isnt only that but you have to make money of of the manga in the magazine and if people dont like it then what can do about it.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

"alternative" ? lol.
There are no alternative series in Jump. There's even no such thing as alternative shounen, shounen in itself IS mainstream.
There's just hits and not-hits.

I can't get over the fact that 2 groups are actually Editing Zan.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

well believe, our hits on zan are really high... you could be suprised!

and by alternative I don't mean like in none-shounen, I mean like more a-typical, different shounen. e.g. tsugihagi that was so no mainstream, just like d. gray-man imo is...[br]Posted on: August 27, 2006, 02:49:12 PM_________________________________________________oh, and two groups are doing zan (if it depends on me, it's not) but how many groups are doing bleach, one piece, naruto,...

blaaarrrggg

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

zan's popularity BAFFLES me, but despite that, it was apparently appealing enough from the start for two groups to do it.

also, i have a feeling that Mieru Hito is going to be cut in the next batch of series that end, so enjoy while you can.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Might be, it barely escaped getting cut before since other series were even worse.
Chances are next time, 2 series will be cut and Murusame is as sure as anything to go.

The thing is with Shonen Jump, their biggest hit ever was Dragonball. And you can clearly see that the most succesfull series in Jump right now are pretty much influenced by Dragonball; so it's safe to say this type of shounen is Jump's trademark.
That's just the way things are.
If you want to read a-typical shounen, Shonen Sunday has a much better line-up. Kekkaishi and Yakitate Japan come to mind.

Basically the stuff that gets published in Jump are succesfull Dragonball-influenced series, or unsuccesfull.
With a few exceptions like Death Note. (how that ever was in Jump is a mystery to me)

ssjohn

Reaction score
Country
United States

Barbapapa - Maybe that had something to do with the author and hng? maybe they made a deal they would do there next magna with jump or something >.> And also DB is the HUGE standered manga's have to look at now i mean how long has it been over and japan and its still huge ... *btw don't ask about my nick >_> (ss=supersayain)*

T__T @ murasamekun / mieru mite be being cut T__T but i personly havent enjoyed Murasame-kun from the raws i have looked at it looks ok but its not Naruto so >.>

@ 2 groups doing zan . Well that shocks me too >.> i mean jump-scans isnt going to stop doing it but im shocked that there are 2 doing Zan and no one's doing other manga's like um the new BoBoBo or Murasamekun or Neruo or something >.> there only should be one group / two max per manga but we all see how many groups do the big 3 (bleach, one piece, naruto) O well.

oceanizer

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Why don't you guys just cooperate -__-; I mean... Why do you always have to release some other series UNDER your name? :/ As long as the stuff gets out, aren't you happy? At least I am.

In the past, I've helped countless groups (okay, fine, about 5-7 groups) with their translation when they're lacking. I still do help several groups with translation so that the series get on going. And I don't ask them to include KEFI name on the release. Sometimes I even ask NOT to include my name. But whatever group wants to help KEFI project (usually new groups) always ask for their name to be on it... Bleh.

As for Zan, I still probably rank it lower than some other series. I like Neuro better actually. And Gintama. I mean, Gintama's so popular in Japan and no one scanlate it :/

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Problem with Gintama is.... when translated to English, the comedy doesnt work that well anymore :x
+ its licensed...

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

well ocean, zan that's what you think of it. Everybody their taste.

oceanizer

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

What? Gintama's licensed? Man, they're licensing everything now, huh? I bet it won't do much good... As for those Japanese cultural references, I only read up to v2, but it's bypass-able... I mean, Yakitate had so many cultural references, too.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

yeah

and yoropiko told me that translating gintama is really difficult. the jokes seems so japanese-traditional -> making it difficult for translating gintama

but guys this is a zan discussion. tell me what you like and dislike about it... just like a keep it about fairy tail in your discussion

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Yeah let's keep it on-topic. Sorry about that.

I for one am not fond of Zan. :)
But either way, with new series that dont appeal to me right away.. I prefer to just not read them til there's a good amount available. Or til it's licensed/gets an anime.

La_Muerte

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

i know its off-topic but since u guys where talking about me, this is why i do Zan by myself:

i started doing zan as a one man project(i even posted it here that i was doing it), then somebody from Koenosakis group contacted me and said that he wanted to help me do it since nobody in their group had as much interest in doing it, so me and his group member started doing it and then he and his team jumped in the bandwagon. so its not that i dont wanna do Zan with a group, its that its my goal to do it in my group. besides koenosaki didnt trust me in the beginning even though his cleaner thats helping me out did, so i would say its also a trust issue.

so Zan is a goal that was set by me, and i am trying to do my best to complete that, my team will keep doing Zan until it ends, and i dotn think it will end soon.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I will temporarily lock this to prevent further flaming and whatnot. Will reopen this lateron.

Reopened, now keep it civil and on-topic or I will permanently close it.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

NeoShweaty said:
it is near the middle but more towards the bottom of the newest ToC (15th of 21) (on a side note, i am glad over time is doing pretty well as it cracked the top 10 in jump.)
Hmmmm.... zan is n°7 now in ToC, it is just near the popular manga like naruto, bleach,... And D. Gray-man has risen up a lot too. But what To Love-ru. Man I do not get anything of that ToC? For some manga they always stay on their place. But muhyo and to love-ru who were at the top are now below...

Hurray for zan, for getting in the top :p

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

The things in the middle always fluctuate. A series has to be mssively popular or really bad to stay in one place. (also, i said that like two days ago so things changed)

dd_santo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

well I am sure zan will gain more popularity, it may seem difficult to base that only on five chaps but somehow I get the feeling this is a manga that weekly shounen jump needed compared to similar shounen like bleach-mieru hito/ murasame-kun-katekyo hitman reborn...

Don't say they are the same but somehow a lot of shounen are similar. While zan for me is kinda different by its art and story