Special Move - Zeus' Desert | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Special Move Zeus' Desert

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So after these two posts, I discussed Zeus and the desert Tanegashima "went through" with Water some more and we arrived at a fairly interesting conclusion.

For starters, there seem to be two key quotes (three if we count the editor's note) in chapter 193:
  • "This match is a pilgrimage to 'salvation'."
  • "If they do not lose outright, Lord Zeus's opponents eventually arrive at the idea to clear their hearts and play in bizarre ways, all to change the flow of the match. It's a beautiful catharsis. However, becoming completely detached from the game is impossible."
  • ("In the palm of Lord Zeus's hand.")
Starting from the bottom, the note implies that Zeus had something to do with sending Tanegashima through the desert. The second quote suggests that this experience isn't unique to Tanegashima, but rather something all of Zeus' opponents go through. The first one gives us some insight into what kind of experience it is exactly. Salvation means reaching the oasis, further supported by the fact that in "both the Old and New Testaments, the word 'water' is used for salvation [...]", or in this case a completely clear state of mind, whereas the pilgrimage refers to trying to achieve that state.

We also learn how Zeus' other opponents usually behave. Either they think they've reached the oasis, but really haven't, meaning that they might play in random ways like Tanegashima did, but for a completely different reason (i.e. they're confused and stumbling through the desert) or they simply succumb to the heat and lose before they even get a good grasp on the situation they're in.

There might be a third way for Zeus' opponents to lose which isn't explicitly mentioned, but which might've been what happened to Shiraishi. It's possible that the shape of the desert isn't the same for everyone who goes on the pilgrimage, so we think it could be that, given how balanced Shiraishi is as a player, the desert might've looked the exact same in all directions for him. In the end he would've either just tried random things like in Vulcan's explanation or not been able to move an inch.

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sounds like yips in the desert (or Shiraishi anyway).
Would you consider this a unique technique?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Would you consider this a unique technique?
I mean, I guess so? We haven't heard of anyone else who can control the flow of the match to this degree. Although, technically speaking, I'd say it's an ability rather than a technique.

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
What would you call it? Something better than Zeus' Desert :P

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wouldn't call it anything when I don't have to; it's just part of Zeus' general style.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Uhm, just a quick thought, but perhaps the adversity that you have to fight against changes depending on the person / the type of personality, instead of always being a literal desert: Maybe some players would be sorrounded by darkness and the "oasis" could be a fake source of light, some others could feel they are drowning at the bottom of the sea and get confused by what they think is the surface, etc. It does sound a bit like yips, perhaps even stronger without the need of literally killing your opponent.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well. I ended up not mentioning it mostly because it's hard to speculate about and I was going into a more analytical direction here. But it's possible that it would be shown differently for other players.

I'd be careful with the Yips comparison though, I think Yips is a lot more oppressive when you get down to it. At worst Zeus makes you feel like you can't beat him - I think Shiraishi showed an uncharacteristically strong reaction to it - whereas in Yukimura's case it's more that you want to quit. Keep in mind that in the cases we've seen, Yukimura's opponents handled that state fairly well for one reason or another, but most people would just be done for.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Yeah but Yips don't make you live in a different reality, you are still there in the court (and I guess that's how people managed to fight back). Still, I admit it's hard to say one is immediatly better than the other.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, I don't think you literally experience a different reality against Zeus either. Like I said in the GS thread, I see these things as more metaphorically, i.e. playing against Zeus "is like" going through a desert, etc.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I do think, so far, that it's just a metaphor too, but we have seen weirder things so I think it wouldn't be that crazy for it to be some sort of special move. We'll know better once the fanbook gets released I guess.