Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 440 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #24 of 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Pece 1114

• My Hero Academia 422

• Jujutsu Kaisen 259

• Mission: Yozakura Family 225

• Undead Unluck 206

• Me & Roboco 184

• Sakamoto Days 165

• The Elusive Samurai 156

• Witch Watch 155

• Blue Box 148

• Akane Banashi 109

• Kill Blue 52

• Nue's Exorcist 49

• Kagurabachi 32

• Green Green Greens 22

• Ruri Dragon 13

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 13

• Dear Anemone 12

• Astro Royale 4

• Kyokuto Necromance 3

• Psych House 1 - New Series!

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (2024)
Kill Blue (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 1st Anniversary)
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Mission: Yozakura Family
Psych House (Color Page; 2nd Chapter)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kyokuto Necromance
Youhei no Hen (Color Page; 47p; Oneshot by Mane Hideaki)
Astro Royale
Jujutsu Kaisen
Akane-banashi (Color Page)
WITCH WATCH
Choujun! Chojo Senpai
Undead Unluck
Me & Roboco
Nue's Exorcist
Kagurabachi
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
ONE PIECE (Absent)
The Elusive Samurai (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Preview
Cover & LCP: Nue's Exorcist (1st Anniversary)
CP: Blue Box; Choujun! Chojo Senpai; Oneshot by Satoushou Masayoshi
Absent: My Hero Academia

Last edited:

Broseph

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Guess the saying is true. If you cannot appeal to adult women you are finished. They are the demographic that are most likely to splurge on merch. Just look at UU lacklustre sales as it fails to be appealing.

Kagurabachi, hitman reborn, JJK, Slam Dunk and Haikyu has tons and tons of female fanbase.
That's an overgeneralization but they are a good base to have. Most important aspect is just having a big appeal in general regardless of what demographic it ends up being. Kids are probably the ideal demographic but it's also the hardest to gain their obsession the most since they're growing fast and their interests change quickly

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's an overgeneralization but they are a good base to have. Most important aspect is just having a big appeal in general regardless of what demographic it ends up being. Kids are probably the ideal demographic but it's also the hardest to gain their obsession the most since they're growing fast and their interests change quickly
Well. No. Kids demographic has no disposable income.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Females like to buy merchandises to decorate their itabags and shrine, buy soft toys, take photos of them, create fanmerch, buy fan merch, write fanfictions, draw dojinshis, buy lots and lots of manga volumes due to tokutens and popularity polls etc. Female fans keep the fandom economy going and keep interest high. Many times i know new series due to seeing many fanarts and fanworks online.

Of course, there are lots of male fans who partake too. But it is mainly the adult females who do this. Just go to any pop up shops, collab cafes, anime merch shop, jump shop, to see this.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Related, this one person bought around 1761 JJK vol 26 for the popularity poll slip

Also bought tons of the mags

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, @Shinuki no Reborn, apparently the comparisons between kagurabachi and ichinose family are over. Regardless of whether or not kagurabachi surpasses the sales of Akane banashe or Boruto. It is almost certain that the second volume will sell more than the first.

Last edited:

Broseph

Reaction score
Country
United States
By themselves, they don't but they get their parents to buy them all kinds of stuff like lunchboxes, toys, blankets, etc... They're the reason Pokemon and Hello Kitty are two of the biggest media franchises of all time. Kimetsu's boom in 2020 was driven significantly by them (8 billion dollars in 2020 alone which is an insane number). It's hard to get a lock onto them but if you can, it's the most lucrative demographic in the world. Kids are a billion dollar market which is why so much advertising is aimed at trying to get their attention

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
There isn't a reason GGG flopped. Failure is the default for an average or even above-average manga... not success.

It was an uphill battle to have a golf manga in the first place. It's many good points were not enough to resonate with its audience. That's really it.

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, fujoshi are the key factor to a series’s success.

I’m so glad that Our Blood Oath and Shadow Eliminators had a long lasting run!

pennycryman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, fujoshi are the key factor to a series’s success.

I’m so glad that Our Blood Oath and Shadow Eliminators had a long lasting run!
Those don't really count because there never really was a significant fujo following for them. They just tried really hard to get one. Where GGG tried to little to get a fujo following these 2 series tried too hard, and since the writing just wasn't there, people simply ignored them and why would fujos read flops?

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Females like to buy merchandises to decorate their itabags and shrine, buy soft toys, take photos of them, create fanmerch, buy fan merch, write fanfictions, draw dojinshis, buy lots and lots of manga volumes due to tokutens and popularity polls etc. Female fans keep the fandom economy going and keep interest high. Many times i know new series due to seeing many fanarts and fanworks online.

Of course, there are lots of male fans who partake too. But it is mainly the adult females who do this. Just go to any pop up shops, collab cafes, anime merch shop, jump shop, to see this.

Related, this one person bought around 1761 JJK vol 26 for the popularity poll slip

Also bought tons of the mags
and most males adults in japan now expend money on vtubers

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Those don't really count because there never really was a significant fujo following for them. They just tried really hard to get one. Where GGG tried to little to get a fujo following these 2 series tried too hard, and since the writing just wasn't there, people simply ignored them and why would fujos read flops?
So what’s the message here then? Fujoshi definitely aren’t a “win button” for series unless they latch onto something that isn’t specifically targeting them?
I hope we’re not forgetting the last series that exploded before Kagurabachi—Ruri Dragon. That doesn’t strike me as something fujoshi are dying to pick up to pair men together.

I agree with Broseph, is what I’m trying to say here.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If there was some "success win" button the publishers/mangaka would have discovered it and exploited it until it didn't work anymore.

Fujoshi are just a demographic that supports things they like. They're more niche but loud and close knit so when they start latching onto something it spreads amount the people quickly.
Same is true for any group that will go out of its way to support something they like (or get others to support it for them like kids). Kagurabachi wasn't successful because it had the fujoshi audience. There's hundreds of manga with boys just as shippable that get no traction at all. Travisty pointed out two in Jump in recent memory which started at the same base level as KGB (ran in Jump) so unless you can explain why fujoshi decided they cared about it but not any of the other axed titles with pretty boys I don't think that's really an avenue to exploit. If they hop on it sure but you need to get them to hop on in the first place.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the popular sports manga really homoerotic? Subsequently, they garner massive female fanbases who ship the characters. GGG doesn't seem to have that aspect.
Chihayafuru, among others does well.

Kurama58

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
I expect Boruto taking 2nd place for the rest of the week, kgb was impressive but it's unlikely that it keep this momentum, it might even fall behind akane after the huge first day

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I expect Boruto taking 2nd place for the rest of the week, kgb was impressive but it's unlikely that it keep this momentum, it might even fall behind akane after the huge first day
Boruto should take 2nd place tomorrow, but I don't imagine Kagurabachi behind Akane at least for the next two days. From day 4, I can see that

defensor_de_boruto

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kagurabachi selling 80k on this second volume is really likely, thats huge

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
lol Ryohgo Narita went to buy Nue's Exorcist vol 4 with the Poniken card, ended up also buying a bunch of books before and got the last Nue copy with the card in the bookstore

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Honto Day 2
7. KaguraBachi #2
9. Akane-banashi
20. Undead Unluck #20
22. Nue's Exorcist #4
34. Cipher Academy #7
And Boruto is no 2?