Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 421 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #22/23 of 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1113

• My Hero Academia 421

• Black Clover 370 & 371

• Jujutsu Kaisen 258

• Mission: Yozakura Family 224

• Undead Unluck 205

• Me & Roboco 183

• Sakamoto Days 164

• The Elusive Samurai 155

• Witch Watch 154

• Blue Box 147

• Akane Banashi 108

• Kill Blue 51

• Nue's Exorcist 48

• Kagurabachi 31

• Green Green Greens 21

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 12

• Dear Anemone 11

• Astro Royale 3

• Kyokuto Necromance 2

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024)
One Piece (Lead Color Page)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Jujutsu Kaisen
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Kyoukutou Necromance (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Akane-banashi
Sakamoto Days
Kamen Kitan Teo (Color Page, One-shot by Goto Togo & Matsuura Kento, 47p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, First of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
Astro Royale (23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family
Witch Watch
Undead Unluck
Kill Blue
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco
Green Green Greens
Nue's Exorcist

Dear Anemone

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024) - Information
Cycle Biyori (Cover & LCP, New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke, 54p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, Second of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release, 200,000 Copies Sale Celebration)
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page, TV Anime Promotion)
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Kyoukutou Necromance (3rd Chapter, 23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family Side Story (Special Chapter)

Last edited by a moderator:

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Huh?? This feels like the most underwhelming group cover ever... feels like an edit of existing illustrations than a new art..
New art or not, all group covers are edited together though. The mangaka don't all draw one art together, they each draw their characters individually and then the editorial department puts all artworks together and arranges them into one cover.

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
So Yozakura, MHA, Jujutsu are ending. It will be a big loss for the magazine..
it's really a pity Ggg it's in the bottom
How long it has passed since a full spocon series is not successful? Maybe it was Hinomaru Sumo the last one... It's a pity, because Ggg has such an amazing art and story...

doomrider7

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
So Yozakura, MHA, Jujutsu are ending. It will be a big loss for the magazine..
it's really a pity Ggg it's in the bottom
How long it has passed since a full spocon series is not successful? Maybe it was Hinomaru Sumo the last one... It's a pity, because Ggg has such an amazing art and story...
I've heard nice things about GGG so it doing poorly bums me out.

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Been minute, things are happening. My takes are:

It's been 12 issues now since Nue's Exorcist last had a single digit TOC ranking, placing in the bottom 5 most of the time. And now second last? Ouch. I think the main thing to keep an eye on - other than it continuing to rank poorly or not - is whether the colour pages dry up. PPPPPP didn't receive as much as Nue's Exorcist has at this point but it also had a similar point where the drop in rankings and less colour pages coalesced to signal its end. That's all I'll say... except thank god

As for Super Psychic Policeman Chojo, I've checked back until 2016 and no other series has a stronger debut. Without having the exact record at hand my estimate as it's probably at or around Assassination Classroom beginning numbers. The closest from what I have checked is The Elusive Samurai in 2021 which had an average of 3.0 for the same amount of issues, with Chojo currently at 2.8, just below One Piece now for 2024. That's an incredible start. I wasn't liking it in the beginning but I've really warmed to it since Yuki got introduced, he's the best character so far. I think it still has to flesh out a good supporting cast but if it's going to fall in popularity anytime soon to the point of cancellation it's going to have to be one of the steepest drops offs in recent memory.

Looks like Green Green Greens and Dear Amenome are the next on the chopping block - personally I hope My Hero Academia manages to wrap up in time for a shorter round and GGG is saved but it's one of the two true flops in the magazine right now, which is a shame since it's easily the best sports manga the magazine has had since the drought began with Haikyuu!!'s conclusion (excluding Blue Box).

I had my prediction of Mission: Yozakura Family wrapping up in 2025 but if it's in the final battle maybe it'll come sooner depending on the pacing. If it joins MHA and Jujutsu Kaisen this year I'm more curious as to how the top of the roster is going to shake out in the end since the gaps left to be taken (presumably Sakamoto Days and Blue Box for the time being). If I had a magic wand that could force the editorial staffs' hand it would also to push Undead Unluck to an end this year as well. It's one of the stagnant middle floaters in the magazine that isn't generating new fans, had an adaptation that flopped, and IMHO this arc has throughly overstayed its welcome. This current fight is my least favourite in the entire series. I so desperately just want it to get to a climactic endgame soon, please. And then let's see where Kagurabachi and Nue's Exorcist fall amongst all of this since they're the lowest ranking of the 'safe' series right now and could either suffer a loss or benefit from how the rest of the year shakes out depending on how early or late the veterans start ending.

Astro Royale had a great first chapter, proper battle shonen goodness delivered confidently with good initial establishing of the cast and the world going forward. Unless something goes horribly wrong it feels like it's come at the perfect time to take up one of those spots from the veterans ending. Kyokuto Necromance I agree with most wasn't that good, very middling in quality. I still am not confident in Fusai Naba's ability to deliver a serialisation. I've never been convinced by his one shots and this first chapter made some of the same mistakes (too many similarities) to Aliens Area which had the whiff of an immediate flop as well. I don't think he was ready to return yet frankly, especially with something so derivative. Let's see.

And for the record, I was one of the few who voted for Cycle Biyori as my most anticipated of this batch (anyone else who did is a true one, you know who you are)! You see it a lot on this thread that people project their own ideas of what a series will be before it's even released and refuse to budge on their take of it. I try to give everything a chance to wow or disappoint me regardless of initial impressions but this is one that feels like it could be a sleeper, potentially fitting that cute low-fantasy slice of life comedy niche that RuriDragon created and has now left in the physical magazine. I'm basing this purely off vibes and how much I enjoy Omusuke Kobayashi's character designs and panelling from his one shots but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Enezneb

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024) Color Page: Kamen Kitan Teo

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024) Color Page: Kyokuto Necromance

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Ahhh OK i don't read Yozakura. MHA, JJK, YOZAKURA end this year and Undead Unluck in 2025. Hyoe to see how will be the Jump next year.

May be another surprise hit this year, return of Furudate or Kaku, a jfk winner, hitonner series ?
Just give me Naoshi and his vampire one-shot into a series (or any classic fantasy adventure series, really) and I’ll be a happy camper.
I’m curious about this one. Hopefully someone translates it.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Popular BL illustrator (and illustrator in general) doing the good work and spreading Sakamoto Days and the handsome men like Nagumo to nearly a million viewers.

Broseph

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I think it is pretty standard. Right now we are in a “training” arc. I mean there is some good stuff, but what I will commend Kawae in doing is trying to stretch themselves. But one of the things that I have to say is that there are some things that they seriously need to improve upon.
Why do you think rankings have been so low? In the arc on the slow side, have the girls been ignored, is it too serious? There’s gotta be some reason for this drop off

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chojo is doing surprisingly great. Consistently been near the top so you know survey response must be great. The Nue placements are somewhat dangerous now. I don't read it so is there a specific reason why this current arc isn't being received well at all? Did they switch up the formula or something?
Why do you think rankings have been so low? In the arc on the slow side, have the girls been ignored, is it too serious? There’s gotta be some reason for this drop off
Just a serious fight that in fact went a bit too long but the final chapters including the one reflected this week were actually pretty cool, it's been already back to the shenanigans that fans enjoy it but the ToC still reflecting the fight.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I realized a lot of chapter 1 (especially the battle manga) follow many of the same formats:

Establish MC
MC meet the heroine/deuterogonists
Get superpower etc
Fight a mini boss
End/maybe a hook for 2nd chapter.

Aliens Area, Bleach, Kyokuto Necro, Ruirui senki, JJK, MHA, Nue's exorcist, Hitman Reborn, etc.... all basically have the exact same chapter 1 in essense.

Yes i know it is just a very standard hero's journey format. Which is basically establish your character, give them a "call to adventure", establish conflict, supernatural aid, resolve conflict. It is very hard to avoid the template.

It is just that... after reading so many of those rehashed template for ch 1, it just get tiring. You just kinda feel that they are all basically just the same story and you can already guess how the chapter 1 will develop and end. Aliens Area and Kyokuto Necromancer feels like the exact same story with different skin. I am just tired lol.

I guess this is why i feel more attracted to Akanebanashi.The chapter 1 does not 100% fit the template. 1st chapter is just a flashback and bait & switch MC.
ALSO, it is not WSJ, but the 1st chapter of Marmalade Boy is just amazing LMAO. I still remember it even decades later.

I have very low expectation of the buckethead manga. For me, the only potential in this batch is just Astro (eventho it is very tropey it is competent at least). I am just hoping whatever new batch that come in the future will have a "fresher" and different take of ch 1 format.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I realized a lot of chapter 1 (especially the battle manga) follow many of the same formats:

Establish MC
MC meet the heroine/deuterogonists
Get superpower etc
Fight a mini boss
End/maybe a hook for 2nd chapter.

Aliens Area, Bleach, Kyokuto Necro, Ruirui senki, JJK, MHA, Nue's exorcist etc.... all basically have the exact same chapter 1 in essense.

Yes i know it is just a very standard hero's journey format. Which is basically establish your character, give them a "call to adventure", establish conflict, supernatural aid, resolve conflict. It is very hard to avoid the template.

It is just that... after reading so many of those rehashed template for ch 1, it just get tiring. You just kinda feel that they are all basically just the same story and you can already guess how the chapter 1 will develop and end. Aliens Area and Kyokuto Necromancer feels like the exact same story with different skin. I am just tired lol.

I guess this is why i feel more attracted to Akanebanashi.The chapter 1 does not fit the template exactly.
I don't necessarily see it as a criticism. For a lot of people it's their first time writing a multi chapter story.

Maybe it would be a concern for veteran, but for peoples first multi chapter story....not really expecting them to be experts at starting in an unconventional manner.

Renvent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chojo is doing surprisingly great. Consistently been near the top so you know survey response must be great. The Nue placements are somewhat dangerous now. I don't read it so is there a specific reason why this current arc isn't being received well at all? Did they switch up the formula or something?
It took a turn for the more serious in the last arc. It seems to be either due to a mix of people not liking Shitotsu or people not liking the serious turn but since then it's returned to the more normal tone and the focus has been pushed towards Suou (though Shitotsu still gets some focus). Time will tell if its placements go back up. I expect the ToC to continue to be low for the next 2 chapters as it will track the arc concluding and Shitotsu's introduction to the school.

It's a shame. I genuinely thought from the Shitotsu vs Level 3 fight on, the arc was actually really good and I think a lot of its detractors would have actually liked those fights. The chapter for this ranking in particular was one of my top 5 (the first I ever put for Nue). But it seems the Japanese saw it differently. It will probably disincentivize the author from continuing in that direction.
I will say though that during new series debuts, rankings tend to be weird, hence why a good chunk of the established roster is sitting in the lower half, and stuff like EluSam in the bottom 5. So Nue's position isn't as dire as people think it is. Though who knows, maybe Green Green Greens truly is the more popular series.
To be honest I don't really believe the argument that new series debuts rankings are not "true" rankings. Sure the new series haven't been ranked but that's true for all rounds. Chapters don't get ranked until 8 chapters in, while rounds typically go for 10-12 issues. For most of the round, the new series don't get ranked.

Last edited:

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It took a turn for the more serious in the last arc. It seems to be either due to a mix of people not liking Shitotsu or people not liking the serious turn but since then it's returned to the more normal tone and the focus has been pushed towards Suou (though Shitotsu still gets some focus). Time will tell if its placements go back up. I expect the ToC to continue to be low for the next 2 chapters as it will track the arc concluding and Shitotsu's introduction to the school.

It's a shame. I genuinely thought from the Shitotsu vs Level 3 fight on, the arc was actually pretty good and I think a lot of its detractors would have actually liked those fights. This chapter in particular was one of my top 5 (the first I ever put for Nue). But it seems the Japanese saw it differently. It will probably disincentivize the author from continuing in that direction.

To be honest I don't really believe the argument that new series debuts rankings are not "true" rankings. Sure the new series haven't been ranked but that's true for all rounds. Chapters don't get ranked until 8 chapters in, while rounds typically go for 10-12 issues. For most of the round, the new series don't get ranked.
It is hilarious because the "serious" arc is when i saw a lot of westerners starting to "like" Nue and have been saying "it is getting good" LMAOOOO the irony.

Crimson Trickster

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Wish we got translations, this color page looks badass.
It is hilarious because the "serious" arc is when i saw a lot of westerners starting to "like" Nue and have been saying "it is getting good" LMAOOOO the irony.
Maybe a few dozen people started reading Nue at that point. It's not some big turnaround.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And once it went back to harem shenanigans it even went trending on Twitter again :grin

SkullMan

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
The readers have spoken. Kawae, you gotta kill off this piece of shit little sister. They do not like her

Dongus

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
The readers have spoken. Kawae, you gotta kill off this piece of shit little sister. They do not like her
We're in a real different generation when bitchy imoutos aren't on the trend. Back in my day, people would simp over little sisters no matter how nasty they were to the protag, as long as they were nice every once in awhile. Here I thought tsunderes were still trendy. This geezer needs to get with the times...

It's a shame. I genuinely thought from the Shitotsu vs Level 3 fight on, the arc was actually really good and I think a lot of its detractors would have actually liked those fights. The chapter for this ranking in particular was one of my top 5 (the first I ever put for Nue). But it seems the Japanese saw it differently. It will probably disincentivize the author from continuing in that direction.

I'm pretty much 50/50 on whether it'll stabilize or not. Current arc looks to be training arc, leading into a confrontation with the main antagonists. And... I just feel like Kawae's not ready to try more battle-focused arcs as he is. If he simply charges in and brings the same performance as the village arc, it's game over. I was really expecting a filler arc full of shenanigans to give more breathing room before trying again... I wouldn't say it's over for Nue, but it definitely needs to ground its center now more than ever.

If you ask me, just cash in hard on the girls and fanservice, that's what's making it trend. Where the bunnygirls and maids at? The axed series at least threw that out with their dying breath. A simple boobtouch is tame compared to whatever the Heisei era brought. Chojo's a huge breakout on the comedy front, KGB is grabbing all the action nuts. Taking full advantage of the one aspect it has over those series is probably the best way to stabilize.