Favorites - Top 10 favorite characters | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Top 10 favorite characters

Who is your favorite character?

• Total voters

leiatte

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Latest chapter is out and still no votes for Erwin..why the hell did I vote for Jean :-_-
LMAO, I love jean. But yeah Erwin after the latest chapter was way too awesome to ignore, I've always liked him, but the past two chapters solidified it.

my top ten

1.Jean
2.Reiner
3.Armin

geez, I couldn't make the rest of the list. It was too painful trying to put the rest into the remaining places, I like them all too much (some more than others, but still.), Like Annie, Erwin, Connie, and Eren. I like Mikasa but lately I haven't liked her as much, she was just plain awesome, but her personal flaws are really getting noticeable (love that though, because people have flaws. this isn't a pick at the writing, its a compliment), other characters had their flaws shown earlier and were redeemed in some way.

Yeah, Its hard to put them down in numbers, but Jean, Reiner, and Armin are definitely favorites of mine. So is Eren, but man his stubbornness is both awesome and annoying sometimes, love him as a character though because of that.

chikkychappy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
voted irvin

my favorite character since chapter 27. i'm so pumped that he proved himself this chapter!

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Latest chapter is out and still no votes for Erwin..why the hell did I vote for Jean :-_-
Jean is cool man :p

Well since we could only vote once, most of us who are too eager to vote have used up our votes already lol... Might wanna to re-poll this after 10 more chapters haha.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Marco was an honest-to-goodness, all-around good guy. Even against titans, he preferred to play the bait rather than be the one going in for the kill, so he was brave as hell too! The guy was said by trainer Keith Sadies to be a highly competent soldier, and based on what we saw in flashbacks I think he could easily have scored higher in the top 10 if he wasn't so team-oriented and actually competed with his peers for kills (on phony titan targets) instead of just going for the assist. But no, instead he *found* the targets first, then let others "kill" them and therefore score more points than him! XD

Yet still Marco made the top 10 and I believe he was even chosen as a squad leader in Trost? His trusting attitude, though, is almost definitely a large part of why he was the one who ended up dead (with gear stolen *before* he was bitten in half, remember, so this was no accident or inevitable tragedy), and not someone else. Somebody took advantage of his good nature.

I can't help wonder what would have happened if Marco made it into the RMP, but one thing I'm sure of is that he wouldn't have went along with their crap unless he made a conscious choice to work for change from within (like that Mario guy), OR he might have transferred somewhere better (Scouts probably, and he would have been a damn valuable guy to Erwin too), one or the other. Anyway, I treasure idealistic characters like him, as long as they're committed to having their actions back up their words. And he was a stand-up guy who would do exactly that.
Just to add to the list of compliments, the fact Marco is able to identify Jean's strengths shows his admirable insights on an empathetic scale. It's kinda like, he has the understanding to understand the understanding... lol. And although his death also plays a role, it's mostly his speech to Jean which gives him the final push into Scouting Legion.

But I think team-oriented quality plays a large role in his ranking. I would have thought the instructor recognises his assist in kills. Even without the killing training, he could have scored points in other physical activities, and be acknowledged in his potential to kill titans. I doubt the instructor would fail to notice that. Just my two cents...

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sadies is an insightful guy. I'm sure he noticed and bumped him up a bit, of course. I found this, which appears to have the correct ranking order in it. Now that I look at it again I guess I shouldn't expect he could make the top 5 but I do think maybe he should have scored higher than Jean. I got the impression from Jean (when he found Marco's body) that he thought Marco was a better soldier than him. (And to Jean's credit he wasn't jealous about it or anything; it's just what he honestly seemed to think. But Jean being where he is makes him a proper rival to Eren in the story at least.)

THM Nindo

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well since we could only vote once, most of us who are too eager to vote have used up our votes already lol... Might wanna to re-poll this after 10 more chapters haha.
Is there a way to make a poll where you can vote, unvote and vote again!?
If that's possible, this is probably what we should do.

leiatte

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Am I the only who just recognized that the main character has no votes, which is kind of weird. I love Jean, but man Im starting to wish I voted for Eren just so he could have some votes, he's an awesome character and very passionate.

epictoads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I the only who just recognized that the main character has no votes, which is kind of weird. I love Jean, but man Im starting to wish I voted for Eren just so he could have some votes, he's an awesome character and very passionate.
If you could vote for more than 1, I would have picked Eren, but protagonists are rarely no.1 favorite characters in anything. Side characters always have more potential to be cooler.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like Eren but he's far from being my favourite; this series has an excellent supporting cast. :)

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Armin is now my favorite. He just constantly steals the show and he is not even fighting.
He was just awesome in the last chapter. He is thinking and thinking and deduces Bert have feelings for Annie, just like that. His sense of observation is too great. When I see things like that I wonder how many details did we miss that he noticed. Armin is so great I think he is likely to die, even if he is a MC.

THM Nindo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, Armin is definitely one of the best character of the show.
I know I put it after Eren in my Top 10, but I really don't know why I did that... he's so much more interesting than Eren.

I'm surprised by all the votes that Jean is getting.
I understand, because I like him a lot too, but I'm surprised that he's #1 for so many people!

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Sadies is an insightful guy. I'm sure he noticed and bumped him up a bit, of course. I found this, which appears to have the correct ranking order in it. Now that I look at it again I guess I shouldn't expect he could make the top 5 but I do think maybe he should have scored higher than Jean. I got the impression from Jean (when he found Marco's body) that he thought Marco was a better soldier than him. (And to Jean's credit he wasn't jealous about it or anything; it's just what he honestly seemed to think. But Jean being where he is makes him a proper rival to Eren in the story at least.)

Thanks to Yumpo's link, I found this in the guidebook. It's a tiny section written for each character titled 教官の分析. This is Instructor's commentary on Marco:
実戦を想定した行動は見事!!
彼の訓練兵団での成績が振るわなかったのは、彼が実戦を想定した戦略を採り、結果、自分の討伐数に結びつかないからだ。成績では計ることができない、指揮官としての資質が花開くか、見届けたかったものだ。
評価: A

So you're absolutely correct on his potential leadership quality, the "dragging down his results" factor during his assessments, Instructor recognising his grade is not a full consideration of his potential... aaand that Instructor is an (extremely) insightful guy.

:confetti

That said, really sad to see Marco go :(

Sigma

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It's really hard to nail down a top 10, let along a particular order with how many awesome characters there are in this manga but here goes:

1. Krista Renz - Went from being a character I didn't care about to being my #1 due to the reveal that she pretty much jointed the military to "die a hero." I'm very interested in seeing just how psychologically messed up she is and hopefully we'll get some flashbacks of what must have been her tormented childhood in a family that hated her for her mere existence.

2. Annie Leonhardt - my former #1. I love how psychologically complex she turned out to be and honestly if she weren't trapped in the crystal with no immediate character development in the foreseeable future I'd probably still have her in the #1 spot. Also I thought it was really cute how she kind of bonded with Erin and opened up to him a bit during hand-to-hand training.

3. Zoe Hange - I love how she's the only "scientist" type around and think that her logical approach to battling the titans by learning more about them is much more rational than Rivielle or Erin's "kill them all" approach. And on top of that she has an awesome, fun personality. I'd love to be in her research squad if I were a soldier in the Scouting Legion.

4. Jean Kristien - Hated this doucher at first but he got the lion's share of character development in the first few volumes and became a really cool guy. I'm really hoping he becomes a squad leader at some point and his crush on Mikasa actually goes somewhere as well.

5. Erin Yeager - Honestly one of the very few main characters from a manga that I can really connect with. He isn't over powered, he doesn't win all his fights, and he has real character flaws that hold him back at times. And above all else he's a borderline psychopath, able to brutally slaughter his enemies, even at 9 years old. That's awesome.

6. Sasha Brouse - She's just so eccentric and likable that I immediately had a soft spot for Sasha. That combined with her recent heroics and the fact that she overcame her fear of the titans really makes her a cool character. I just hope she hasn't reached the end of her character development yet.

7. Connie Springer - Connie has really grown on me as of late. Despite people thinking of him as a blockhead he's shown some really good insight at times, particularly when he saw through the logical inconsistency of Yimir's claim to Krista that R&B would kill her if she didn't go with them. Overall he's a competent fighter and just a really cool, friendly guy in general. If I were in the Scouting Legion he'd be the guy I'd hang out with and have a few beers with.

8. Marco Bott - Marco was just a great all around guy. I really liked his leadership qualities and charisma. As someone else mentioned I think he would have scored much higher in the top 10 if he weren't so team oriented during the training exercises. Like Connie he would have just been a cool guy to hang out with. I'm glad his tragic death served to further Jean's character development though. Hopefully we'll get some insight into why he really died at some point since it was implied that something shady happened.

9. Irvine Smith - His tactical brilliance is really amazing and I always like characters who use their brains over their brawn. He even planned out Erin's court appearance perfectly to get the head guy to assign him to the Scouting Legion. On top of this his mysterious line "Who do you think the real enemy is" implies that he knows more about the conspiracy going on than he's telling his subordinates. Irvine obviously has big plans for the Scouting Legion and I can't wait to see what his master plan is in the end. Maybe he'll even launch a coup d'etat at some point. :)

10. Armin Arlert - Like I said, I love the brainy type and Armin just about takes the cake with that in this manga. Sure Hange and Irvine may technically outclass him due to their experience but I'd say Armin is to the military in terms of brain power as Mikasa is in fighting ability. His innovation, creativity, and ability to think on the fly is awesome and one of the Scouting Legion's biggest assets. Also, his character development has been great and his recent decision to abandon his ethics to lie to Bertholdt about Annie being tortured to get him to go berserk and leave himself open was a nice twist as well.

Honorable Mention: Mikasa Ackerman - I like Mikasa, I really do, she's an awesome character with a great back story. But her utter lack of character development and single-mindedness has really rendered her one dimensional. Come on Isayama, she deserves better than this, shake things up a little! Have her start to develop feelings for Jean or something, ANYTHING, to make her more interesting!

Honorable Mention: Mina Carolina - Mina had a cute, distinct character design and a likable, upbeat personality. Her courage and determination were admirable as well, though short lived. Hopefully as we learn more about Annie's motives and objectives we'll get a flashback with Mina in it.

Most Hated Character: Dazz - Dazz sucks. I hope he got killed when the members of the former 104th trainee squad (including the randoms) had to go running around without their gear prior to the battle at the castle.

Last edited:

IxNxFxIxNxIxTxE

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
1) Bertholdt (and yes, I am the sole voter of this character)
2) Jean
3) Hanji
4) Levi
5) Annie
6) Mikasa
7) Reiner
8)Erwin's Eyebrows Erwin
9)Ymir
10)Sasha

Yes, be surprised.
One of the most beloved character Sasha is at the bottom of the list.
Don't get me wrong, it's just that I love basically every character in this manga.
The author made a great balance between the positives and negatives of each character.
1) I love Bertholdt the most because I simply have a soft spot for the nervous fumbly "antagonists" especially if they can grow up to 50 meters tall.
2) Jean is such a blunt little bastard that makes this dark and stuffy aspects of this manga enjoyable.
3) And Hanji... harbors the most passion rivaling that of Eren's enthusiasm for titans, for all the different reasons.
4) Levi is a unique character, and probably the first one to make dorky hairstyles desirable.
5) Annie surprised me because she basically crept from the bottom to the top of my list with her tsundere nature (I believe it!).
6) Mikasa has the most riveting facial expressions, from genuine anger to her I-want-my-Eren expressions.
7) Reiner and his slightly creepy affections for Christa (for whatever reasons) just makes him a attractive character.
8) Erwin's Eyebrows makes me laugh. Because he's so serious.
9) Ymir is the boyish girl every manga needs, it is a breath of fresh air from the more feminine ones.
10) Sasha, the adorable country bumpkin.

BobobVanBlob

Reaction score
Country
France
Okay, time to do a first post on mangahelper, and how about reviving an old thread to give my opinion on the characters of a show.

Disclaimer : I may talk a bit about the few last chapters, spoilers may appear left and right.

1. Jean : okay, now I must apologize because I liked him from the very first time I saw him, he was the only guy saying "This is suicide to try to follow Eren ." (I think we all know what happened to Mina, Nack, Millius and Thomas, thank you Eren, greatest squad leader of all times).

But what makes this guy first in my ranking is : he is the most human and normal (and unlucky too), I mean look at this : he was born in Trost, lived a peaceful life until he turned around 10-11, then his hometown becomes the new frontline what would a sane person do ? Get to a safer place, so he tries to enter the MP.

This guys lives in a world where only your sacrifice makes sense ("give your heart" "Do you have what it takes to sacrifice your life for humanity ?") and values his own life (even Armin said it's a quality, well to Bertie but still).

Pretty normal isn't it ? Now we are up with Jean to get unlucky.

He meets a really cute girl and falls for her. Normal.

She is totally in love to/interested by someone else. Unlucky.

This guy even turns out to be the guy he hates the most. Unlucky.

-insert Connie shirt joke here-

He makes a really good friend that can recognize his qualities and follows him in the battle planification squad in Trost, his hometown. Normal.

"The battle planification squad in Trost, count me in with Marco I could use the good luck..." - Jean

NOPE :teehee

The "suicidal asshole" goes there too. Unlucky.

He gets to the top ten and one day before going to the MP his squad comrades decides to make a little colossal joke to his hometown... Unlucky to the max and here is the quote he may have said :

" This is the last time I will use Berthold sleeping position to know the weather, it wasn't supposed to be cloudy with a chance of titans !" - Jean

And then it continues like that : his crush goes in a suicidal attempt to join the "suicidal asshole" in hell and he follows her, he is saved by the guy he hates the most, his best friend dies, he joins the survey corps and after a few hours has the chance to meet Annie and so on... He even saved Mikasa to just be thanked by Eren...

I don't know to tell if he is really unlucky because he always managed to get through it thanks to Armin.

And well of course the character development helped him a lot to get first in my ranking. I mean a guy giving a value to (his) life in general can be a good leader because he is not in this "sacrifice everyone" state of mind.

"My best friend's gone but not I, I'm not gonna die young..."

this song is pretty much his life

For me he is the real "Reluctant Hero". And well jerk-ass had a point for Eren's squad's fate.

2. Sasha : I would just say one thing ---> MAI WAIFU (no, I'm joking), but still a bit of comical relief is good from time to time in this story. And well she is cute and pretty talented.

"I did not just conceal something the approximate size and shape of a piece of bread." - Sasha

3. Armin : The smart guy and one of the few characters not having gone nuts yet. And well he is the cutest one in the 104th.

"Wait, what ? Armin is a guy ?" :zomg - Reiner

4. Marco : THE Maes Hugues of this show. A really good guy. Understanding stuff really quickly and how people work. Dying to soon.

"What's to be done..." - Jean

5. Zoe : Sasha... with glasses... Looked nuts in the beginning but is a really good character and one of the best officer in the "Survey Crops" (or Corps but nobody cares). And a bit of mad science has never hurt anyone."

"I AM MAD SCIENTIST ITSA KEWL SUNOFABEACH" - Okabe Rintarou

6. Levi/Rivaille : At first I was like "M'kay" then I was like "It's Araragi and Otonashi Yuzuru and Zetsubou sensei and IZAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAAH" then I punched my screen... The voice they gave him helped him to get higher in the ranking.

Fun facts : Irvin is voiced by Shizuo from Durarara!

"Don't you Heichou me ! " - Heichou

7. Connie : #1st world genius everything is said. Plus the despair starting to surround him.

"I don't know, I'm a genius !" - Connie

8. Berthold : He is tall, really tall I mean just look at him, and I feel there is something tragic behind him... AND YOU CAN EVEN PREDICT THE WEATHER WITH THIS DUDE

"- He is using Reiner's butt as a pillow...
- Lord have mercy it's gonna thunder ! "
- Connie & Jean

9. Rico : Yup, I like her, because she give a human view of their life as soldiers even though she is really not shown a lot. Plus she has guts because she fights in Trost thanks to Ian. (not like Hannes)

"Or you can shove it up their asshole..." - Reiner

10. Historia & Ymir : I love their relationship and how they work as a duo.

"Eh ?" - Historia Reiss, noble...

Special categories :

Pillosity : Pixis with his magnificent mustache, and yes, he won to Monkey Trouble. :verily

Having a personality doesn't mean you have personality : Mikasa : Mikasa's reaction to this award : "Eren !"

Could use a hand : Irvin

Gave him a hand : Moses/Brown

Yoga specialist : Petra

Wait, he is a she ? : Nanaba

Strange name and not even important : Darius Baer-Varbrun

First bite in the story : Thomas

I don't know why, but I want to slap (both of) you : Eren, tied to Mikasa

Best Nose : Annie

I don't even know how I know his name : Berrik

He had guts : Hannes

Get a haircut : Auruo tied to Levi/Rivaille

You sure need a hug : Moblit

I mean, I don't even know, mystery rate too high abooort, abooooooort : Monkey Trouble, Grisha, Nick, Historia, Ymir, Bertl...

Roy Mustang wannabe : Marlo

Last edited:

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Only one other person likes Ymir the most? THE REST OF YOU ARE ALL OBJECTIVELY WRONG ABOUT YOUR TASTES IN CHARACTERS

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What VanBlob said about Jean is exactly why he's my favorite character.

THM Nindo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, I'm actually starting to get why so many people like Jean.
And I must agree with you guys.

From now on... Jean is my #1 too!! :D

At least as long as Annie remain in her crystal form! :tem

Hectorpops

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hmm Eren isn't very popular....
I like Eren though, good guy.

nesean

Reaction score
Country
Canada
^ Eren is popular in official poll. :p (even though that was almost a year ago)

BobobVanBlob

Reaction score
Country
France
4. Marco : THE Maes Hugues of this show. A really good guy. Understanding stuff really quickly and how people work. Dying to soon.
Maes Hugues, hold on a second, I just realized that Marco was the whole time of the Trost Battle with... RBA... And because someone said that he had the understanding of the understanding of the understandingception, he guessed that Jean would make a good leader.

Therefore, I think this guy guessed that something was wrong with them, I think Isayama will make a flashback of his death and the fact that he guessed it... (he said it in an interview, maybe in a flashback or as a titan (lol), Marco will reappear sooner than you think)

Now the question is : who will have this flashback ? (Annie, that would mean she gets out of the crystal...)

Damn interviews, I hate them, too many expectations after a single one...

And now to say why Eren is left without votes, I would just say :

Legend Of Korra Syndrome.

Let me explain it to you, your main character looks cool in the beginning ("I am the avatar you gotta deal with it"/"Kill ALL the Titans"), and then run in a circle to never get any character development from one arc to another...

Since Trost Eren is just doubting every time and failing a lot of stuff (Mina & Co, Petra & Co, not a single info from the enemy that could become their allies...)

It's kind of like that :

Reckless and stupid Eren (until Trost) --> No initiative and doubting Eren (Female Titan) --> Angry and I don't know what I'm doing Eren (Retrieve Princess Peach Arc)

"I've got to suppress my emotions to get some informations..." 0.052 seconds later "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU, YOU ABGLDSD%DS&#QWE@ !"

Not really defined main character, that's the problem...

And well, I don't know if it's better than a one dimensional character like miss "I only have the word Eren in my vocabulary".

Please, someone out here, explain to me why Mikasa is an interesting character... With something else than "She is badass !", because since Trost and her flashback she tends to become one of the flattest character there, in the main cast... And I would love to find a way to have a better opinion of this character.