Seinen - 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki (v22)

As I see it, most of the discussion of this awesome series is going on in the other thread: 21st Century Boys

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki (v22)

That's normal for completed (older) series. Most discussions are about the current chapter happenings and scanning process of running series. And seinen in general is not discussed as much as the 'teenies' do over in the shounen section :amuse

Hard_Rock

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Re: 21st Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki (v02, Sequel to 20th Century Boys)

I liked everything in manga except the way Fukubei died. He was much better "friend" than Katsumata in my opinion.

sir_arles

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Well, i finished reading this manga a while ago (couple of months), but I've just found this thread XD

I've read your theories, and that really made enjoy 20CB even more.
The whole katsumata revelation in the last chapter of 21CB just blew my mind away, and the fact that every single little tiny chapter from every volume is connected, and even the first and the last chapters hide a huge true within them... it's just great.

Haha, who would think that Kenji was the one that saved Katsumata from death by playing 20th Century Boys...
This manga really talks about the "power of music", huh?

Anyways, I'm glad that I read this, and I'm trying to make all of my friends get to it to, haha

skitzophr3ak

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Katsumata was the kid that "died" before they could dissect the carp right? And by die I assume they're referring to when he got blamed for stealing the space badge and Fukubei said "You died today" when he was laying on the ground.

Exodi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

First time posting in this part of the forum, so I'll just say this:

Unless I've already seen the anime counterpart, like Bleach and Naruto, manga is pretty hard for me to get into. The only manga I've read completely (other than 20th/21st) is Death Note. That said....

I appreciate Urasawa's work not only for the amazing story -which got me hooked from the first chapter- but also for the outstanding artwork. It's really quite inspiring.

That is all.

HammerShark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [FEATURED] 21st Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki (v02, Sequel to 20th Century Boys)

First time poster. Mostly stumbled here because I was trying to search/remember if Katsumata's face was ever shown. Anyone?
I know who he is, just no face (aside from masks) throughout the whole thing?

I didn't start 21st CB for a while after 20th CB because well y'know stuff.
Been on and off this manga for a while. Damn good. I got to remember to reread it when I have more free time. Glad I finally picked it up again.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: [FEATURED] 21st Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki (v02, Sequel to 20th Century Boys)

First time poster. Mostly stumbled here because I was trying to search/remember if Katsumata's face was ever shown. Anyone?
I know who he is, just no face (aside from masks) throughout the whole thing?

I didn't start 21st CB for a while after 20th CB because well y'know stuff.
Been on and off this manga for a while. Damn good. I got to remember to reread it when I have more free time. Glad I finally picked it up again.
That's quite an old question but I just stumbled across this as the thread was pushed and tbh I have absolutely no idea. Would really like to know if someone can reply on this :)

I read through 20th/21st century boys some weeks ago and it definitly lives up to the hype. What a monumental work :D

Soka

Reaction score
Country
Germany

I know this thread is rather old but theres one page/event in the manga that seems to be realted to the question of how Katsumata looks.

At one point in the manga ( in the villa on the hill ) Fukubei stands in front of a mirror and sees his head as some sort of egg ( just like in the virtual realitiy when Katsumatas mask is taken off by Kenji ).

We also know that the 2nd friend looks just like Fukubei - most would assume surgery at this point.

Also its just a guess I think Katsumata is Fukubeis brother or somethin like that because of this here
http://www.mangareader.net/111-3841-16/20th-century-boys/chapter-202.html

he says hes not child A - if he really means it Manjoume must have mistaken two children for one and the same. If you look one the childs reaction one page further his "example project" sounds more like the 2nd friends idea of comletely destroy the planet

Ganner_Rhysode

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I know, it's been a long time BUT:

At the end of 2016 Naoki Urasawa and Shogakukan released perfect editions of 20th Century Boys and 21st Century Boys (as I JUST found out).
According to this article here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-new-ending-in-manga-complete-edition/.110300
...21st Century Boys got a new ending?! WTF?! Why do I just get to know this NOW?! And no one is even remotely talking about this anywhere?
I've been scouring the internet for raws or just INFORMATION on the new stuff, but couldn't find ANYTHING on it. Somebody in here maybe willing to help out? Considering I'm in Germany it's pretty hard to get to the Japanese volumes in a timely and fast manner (at least where I'm currently living).

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Eh, I never even knew of that. I just tried to look for this 'new' ending as well and couldn't come up with anything.

What could be added this time? Maybe getting to see that second Friend's face or find out more about him (can't remember his name, but Kenji does remember it at the very end of 21CB).

Honestly didn't care too much for 21CB, but 20CB was great.

Ganner_Rhysode

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I ordered the tankobon now and it should arrive beginning of August. I'll be back from vacation on 17th of August, and by then I'll post the new stuff I get from there. So just a few weeks of waiting...

Showing Katsumata's face (the second friend, and boy who 'seemingly' died the day before the dissection-thing in school) would just be a huge dissapointment. AND it would just be useless. It would give NOTHING to the story and it would actually destroy a few things. Like Fukubei, Katsumata is a boy without a face. No one truly remembers him, which is the point. Showing a suddenly made-up face to said boy now would just destroy the whole point. ...which was also one of the biggest points of contention of the last movie of the Live-Action-trilogy. Just a 'beautiful-boy'-face, come oooon. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Okay, I guess, I can talk about it without Spoilertags, since it's been out so long. I just got my copy of the 21st Century Boys Perfect Edition and the new ending is... good, I guess? I don't have a translation yet, but a friend of mine should be able to help us out here, soon.

I've uploaded the new pages here:
All in all, there are 8 all-new pages and one that's partly redrawn. First, it's the "dumbing down", of sorts. As Kenji says: "You are Katsumata-kun, aren't you...?" as it was the case before in the manga, we now get a flashback from the very first 20th Century Boys volume, in which the grown-ups discuss with Mon-chan what happened in the science-room and Katsumata gets mentioned, the first time. Just in order to remind people, who he is, exactly.
And then its a few pages of Kenji talking to Katsumata in the virtual reality, tearing up a bit and probably telling him, how sorry he is. It is quite a bit of text, so a translation would help out tremendously. Then he leaves, Kenji leaves his advice to young-Kenji and exits the stage, as usual. Then the Koizumi and God thing happens, and the manga ends as usual. But then, after two black pages there's the other batch of extra content:
We are in the virutal reality (past?) again, and young Kenji still lies there, basking in the sun. He seems to have an idea (for a melody or tune, I guess, which could've been the first song he wrote, or either something like Jumping Jack Flash) and a maskless Katsumata enters the stage again. You don't see his face, THANKFULLY, but just the chin and lower half of the face. They talk a bit and start singing together.
It's honestly quite a nice sendoff. Take a look at all of it on my image-link. There are all the new pages. Now, we just need a translation. :)

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello, I got the kanzenban too. There are new balloons and new pages. Basically he says Fukube died in the science room and Katsumata took his place, but it's not confirmed yet. It's just what happened in the movies. I don't know who the guy in the last pages is, but it's different. He has different shoes.

Anyway, we need a complete translation. I can take pictures of the pages.

Joe Yabuki

Reaction score
Country
Andorra
Hello, I got the kanzenban too. There are new balloons and new pages. Basically he says Fukube died in the science room and Katsumata took his place, but it's not confirmed yet. It's just what happened in the movies. I don't know who the guy in the last pages is, but it's different. He has different shoes.

Anyway, we need a complete translation. I can take pictures of the pages.
I just finished the perfect edition, and I can confirm. He says that Fukubee dies in the science room, referring to when he did the hanging trick, I'm guessing.
But this brings up new questions. If he died when they were kids, who was really the first friend we saw? Shogun did unmask the first friend, and he was clearly Fukubei... Or maybe It was Katsumata with the face surgery playing dead?

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I just finished the perfect edition, and I can confirm. He says that Fukubee dies in the science room, referring to when he did the hanging trick, I'm guessing.
But this brings up new questions. If he died when they were kids, who was really the first friend we saw? Shogun did unmask the first friend, and he was clearly Fukubei... Or maybe It was Katsumata with the face surgery playing dead?
Hello. Can you read Japanese? Well, Friend was just one person. The guy who was shot by Yamane was just a random dude with plastic surgery. The second Friend who died in the UFO crash was either Katsumata or another random guy. Basically Sadakiyo was half good half evil and worked with this guy the whole time since they were kids

Februai

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hello. Can you read Japanese? Well, Friend was just one person. The guy who was shot by Yamane was just a random dude with plastic surgery. The second Friend who died in the UFO crash was either Katsumata or another random guy. Basically Sadakiyo was half good half evil and worked with this guy the whole time since they were kids
I don't understand one thing, if Fukubei died in 1971, why would Katsumata undergo plastic surgery to look like an adult Fukubei if we never got to see him as an adult, people change in almost 30 years, how could they recognize him in any way?

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I don't understand one thing, if Fukubei died in 1971, why would Katsumata undergo plastic surgery to look like an adult Fukubei if we never got to see him as an adult, people change in almost 30 years, how could they recognize him in any way?
Fukubei died in 1972 after the show with Manjome in which they tried the spoon bending trick, you know. He didn't do plastic surgery, that was just his face, He did plastic surgery to a doppleganger to make him look like himself and let him die in the science room killed by Yamane