Books - A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE] | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

scyter

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Alderney
Has anyone read this serial.... It the best stuff there is. It's op of the book world maybe even a little better then op. OK it's a little unfair to compare those two because that are two completly different thing. While op is for children and teens and for people who feel's like ones(like me hehe). Song of ice and fire is very serious fantasy. The man who wrote is a even greatter legend then oda.

A Song of ice and fire

"The story of A Song of Ice and Fire takes place in a fictional world, primarily upon a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos.[5] Most of the characters are human but as the series progresses other races are introduced, such as the cold and menacing Others from the far North and fire-breathing dragons from the East, both races thought to be extinct by the people of the story. There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the ambition of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years previously, to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne. As the series progresses, all three storylines become increasingly interwoven and dependent on each other.
The series is told in the limited third-person through the eyes of a number of point of view characters. By the end of the fourth volume, there have been seventeen such characters with multiple chapters and eight who only have one chapter apiece.
The growing popularity of the series led to it being optioned by HBO for development of a television adaptation, named Game of Thrones.[6] A pilot episode was produced in 2009 and a series commitment for nine further episodes was made in March 2010.[7]"

Here is a trailer for first episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo&feature=channel

Mr. Death

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Song of Ice and Fire

I can't wait for the HBO Series and for the Fifth book to come out...

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

I wouldn't hold my breath, its been five years since the last book. Its like the draft is stuck in purgatory or something

Mr. Death

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

I know I feel like kidnapping the author and forcing him to write...

jonsan633

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

I know I feel like kidnapping the author and forcing him to write...
I did not understand you, what you want to say, You mean its story is very poor...

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

^I think what he means is, that he just can't wait for the sequel and wants it so bad he feels like forcing Martin to write more faster.

Entertainment weekly published a huge set of on set photos from the upcoming tv-show. And damn it looks awesome! Oh the number of details. This could very well become the best thing to hit the small screen ever.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20385926_20442931,00.html

Lyra Belaqua

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Lithuania

I totally loved the first three ASOIAF books, but the fourth one was so awfully boring that I found it literally painful to trudge through. The only reason why I ever got to the end, were the Sansa and Arya chapters. The sample chapters for the next book look nice enough, so I'm sorta kinda looking forward to it, though I must say that I'm far from being as enthusiastic about this series as I was back when had just finished reading A Storm of Swords (the third book).

As for the coming HBO series... I'll watch the first episode just too see what the whole thing turned out like, but deep in my heart I accept that it will suck. The casting choices already killed all hope there might have been. And lets not even talk about the leaked pilot script.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

So finally! A Dance with Dragons 12th of July 2011! I hope this brings up the series. AFFC wasn't entirely bad, it had a few interesting moments, but it was indeed most boring one in the series.

Also new trailer on the HBO series, and to me it looks good. At first it looked brilliant, but after watching it few times again with more critical eye, it seems just good, but not super awesome as the hype suggests. I don't mind the casting, Bean and Fairley seems amazing in the trailers. Only one I feel dissapointed about at the moment, is Aemon. Reminds me of the Dumbledore issue in the newer Potter films. I'm also on my toes with Jon and Dany, they have few good looking moments, but it leaves me with a feeling that something is a bit off.

Dinklane and Maisie seem liked they were born for these roles.

agatha012

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia

well i am also waiting for it probably it would be interesting one..

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Re: Game Of Thrones

Of course I can...and when I'm finished with the 5th or whatever, then I'll read the first...it will serve as quenching the thirst for more books...

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

HOLY SHIT :gwah

...MOAR! :yelling

otomo20

Reviewer
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

No more :(

This is George's gift for us for christmas, An amazing gift to be honest.

Time-line me thinks is before the fight for winterfell right?

Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

This is the thread for the TV show, so I had to put that last line in spoiler tags :sweat

Well obviously what Ramsay wrote in that letter to Jon was all a lie :XD

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

AWESOME!

I've liked Stannis since the beginning and Theon grew on me during Dance. Honestly though, it took me really long to read it, as I were remembering which Stannis' knight was which, which Umber which and so on... I memory is bit hazy about the happening in the North overall. But it was great read! Interesting chapter. Too bad we'll be waiting long to get more.

Hmm, Theon and the trees. Something makes me think Bran...

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Nevermind, Ust moved the posts here :sweat

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Yeah...it's like the visions Bran had when he was with Bloodraven. Visions of the ancient Kings offering sacrifices there.

Though...Asha knowing about that seems odd to me for some reason :blink

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Also, I think there is another chapter or two from book 6 transcribed from some of GRRM's signings during the aDwD's book tour out there.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Yup, it was Arienne I&II. Is it just me or is the phrase "words are wind" repeating awfully often.

Hmm, I gotta think about creating some sort of loose spoiler policy for these threads. Both are gaining more attention, and I'm also pretty sure there might be people who do not want to know anything about Winds of Winter before the book is actually out.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Yup, it was Arienne I&II. Is it just me or is the phrase "words are wind" repeating awfully often.

Hmm, I gotta think about creating some sort of loose spoiler policy for these threads. Both are gaining more attention, and I'm also pretty sure there might be people who do not want to know anything about Winds of Winter before the book is actually out.
Yeah, that's a good idea :sweat

A lot of phrases are repeated often...maybe it's just because the books are long?...don't know.

otomo20

Reviewer
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

^ Like " nipples on a breastplate"?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

^ Like " nipples on a breastplate"?
That's a good example.....also food being "crusted" or things having butter all over them :XD

....you can totally tell the author is a fat guy even if you knew nothing about him :XD