Books - A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE] | Page 26 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Books A Song of Ice and Fire (Original Book Series) [SPOILERS - BEWARE]

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The website thing seems like a fluke. Whoever ran the site probably realized that the section of his page looked weird blank. Him meeting his publishers/editors might have more to it but it's not the first time he's mentioned doing that as he does it periodically anyways. With him living in Santa Fe, him going to NYC is usually him doing so, so it's more noteworthy than it would be otherwise.

His comments about attending that convention were as close to a firm deadline as we would get after the fiasco that was the writing of Feast/Dance. I don't think he would mention such a thing if he was closer to completing it than not.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The website thing seems like a fluke. Whoever ran the site probably realized that the section of his page looked weird blank. Him meeting his publishers/editors might have more to it but it's not the first time he's mentioned doing that as he does it periodically anyways. With him living in Santa Fe, him going to NYC is usually him doing so, so it's more noteworthy than it would be otherwise.

His comments about attending that convention were as close to a firm deadline as we would get after the fiasco that was the writing of Feast/Dance. I don't think he would mention such a thing if he was closer to completing it than not.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well yeah, you may be right.

Considering he's been saying for years though that "I'm not making the mistake of giving you guys another deadline, it'll be done when it's done", him saying he expects to have the book in hand in July still feels like a heavy indicator that he's about finishing it up, though.

And either way I get so little time to read lately that starting now is a good idea even if the book is still a year away. :eyeroll
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What did everyone think of Fire and Blood, btw? I haven't even read that yet, maybe I should prioritize that instead since xi0 steps on my new-book dreams.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
:feelsbadman

Shockingly enough, I never actually finished it entirely myself. But from what I read it did whet my appetite quite a bit.

Okay so this is a bit more convincing, especially when you pile it up with what you mentioned @Organizized
--- Double Post Merged, ---

To expand upon this, it seems this happened before anything with his website being changed, so it's less likely that this is someone with money to burn trolling fans.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Remember how he said it might come out by 2020?:twitch
It's only because he was optimistic and broke his rule about giving deadlines. On the bright side it seems like he's actually getting writing done during the pandemic so who knows...

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

"THE WINDS OF WINTER is going to be a big book. The way it is going, it could be bigger than A STORM OF SWORDS or A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, the longest books in the series to date. I do usually cut and trim once I finish, but I need to finish first."

It's not much, but it's something. If he's thinking about how the book is shaping up then I think he might have an end in sight (to some degree).

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Interesting breakdown, and the conclusion is kind of more optimistic than I was expect really. Of course it's a lot of speculation and everything though.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Interesting blog entry, a lot more details than normal

This seems like even bigger news than his blog post, wow.

So the idea that he won't have to worry about trimming length for this new monster book if they release it split sounds good. A lot of publishers around the world already do this with most of the books, like in the UK with Storm and Dance. I think other localizations have done it with the entire series except for the first book, like Turkey.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke

Wasn't sure where to post this out of the 3 threads, but oh well

I think most people were expecting Dunk and Egg or another Targaryen dynasty story like the Conquest or Blackfyre Rebellion to be the next spinoff, just wasn't expecting an announcement so soon, much less it being a straight to series order. It kind of makes sense given the source material and with this team behind it, it'll likely work very well. Even more self-contained than Fire and Blood, and since it has a subtitle of the first novella, these will be contained series that probably only run in a miniseries format.

At least I hope so... HBO looking for successor series is what pushed George to compile existing material and finish Fire & Blood, and while a lot of people really want a 4th Dunk&Egg novella to be finally finished, please just finish Winds first pls....George....pls

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm usually on the side of "GRRM is not your bitch, let him write what he wants" and I'd honestly love a 4th Dunk & Egg, but like you say... before this show inspires him to do that, I really hope he finishes TWoW.

Excited to follow the development of this show though! Could be really good!

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'm usually on the side of "GRRM is not your bitch, let him write what he wants" and I'd honestly love a 4th Dunk & Egg, but like you say... before this show inspires him to do that, I really hope he finishes TWoW.
There's enough clues on his blog regarding to his progress. I think the last time he said anything firm he said he's 75% done. But that's not counting rewrites or scrapping things. And given his pace, 75% probably means I wouldn't expect news of submitting his manuscript until 2025 at the earliest.

The issue here is that TV adaptation seems to motivate him to write more. It happened with HBO and Fire & Blood, so it happening here is also quite likely. I guess I'd be more worried if HBO had ordered a Blackfyre series or something, since that would necessitate him writing Fire & Blood Part II But it's also odd to do that when Dunk & Egg isn't finished, since Egg is still very much a child. Unless of course he just skips over Aegon V's reign and Summerhall entirely blames it on an old scroll being burned or something which would be super troll.

This seems like it'll probably be treated as a miniseries and we have 3 of them finished already.