Software - Anti-Virus Programs. | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Software Anti-Virus Programs.

-Ren Boy-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask when I had a virus all these next unknown anti viruses popped up asking me to download them, is it part of the virus or is it a auto matic thing you hardrive would do to make you get a anti virus?

Forever_Melody

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nope, that's probably a spyware or something else. There isn't any magical function in your computer that calls for an antivirus when it's infected. If anything, it might also simply be internet advertising.

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Avast! Trust me on this one guys, just google for it. Its free and it does an excellent job, much better than AVG. It has an onaccess scanner as well and can even help prevent you from going onto harmful sites. It also updates automatically on a daily basis. Overall its been really good to me and has kept my computer clean for a long time. =)

Also another good spyware program is Spybot Search and Destroy. This has an immunization program which also blocks even more harmful sites.

A final porgram i wanna mention thats also good is CCleaner. Its not really an antivirus program, but it does a wonderful job of removing all the junk files that build up on your computer, which overall can help in prevent some viruses even though thats not really its main purpose.

All three of those can be found via google and are all WONDERFULLY FREE!!! So just give em a shot, and with em your computer's should be running smoothly.

May I ask when I had a virus all these next unknown anti viruses popped up asking me to download them, is it part of the virus or is it a auto matic thing you hardrive would do to make you get a anti virus?
Thats a virus my friend. What its trying to do is convince you that you are in urgent trouble from the current virus you have and they are the only way to help you. Yet what you are really doing by downloading these programs is just downloading more harmful files that will infect your computer even more. Try some of the programs I have listed above to get rid of that. =)

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Post above has it spot on, everyone who asks me for an anti-virus program, I always say avast! I've practically made it my life mission to install it in everyone's houses.

r4parads

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

According to me, AVG Antivirus is the best because it detects mostly all the Virus and delete that virus.
AVG AntiVirus is really a nice antivirus i using it from last 2 years and because of that my PC run speedily....

etineski

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
hmm really with a lot of antivirus,trojans,malware... we need antivirus. But I get dizzy every time I would change to a new one. Some would recommend this and that.. but recently the one I had was ok, it was AVG. It's good. I got Kaspersky now, it stops my computer sometime...

Forever_Melody

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well honestly how many of you have actually caught a virus that often? I haven't caught one in years. Spywares are the new thing, viruses are really only much of a threat to the user who clicks on stuff he/she doesn't know. Very rare are the cases where a virus literally infects your system without you actually initiating something(downloading something, opening an email etc).

I honestly wonder how people can claim an antivirus is better than another unless you've caught THAT many viruses to compare lol :p

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well honestly how many of you have actually caught a virus that often? I haven't caught one in years. Spywares are the new thing, viruses are really only much of a threat to the user who clicks on stuff he/she doesn't know. Very rare are the cases where a virus literally infects your system without you actually initiating something(downloading something, opening an email etc).

I honestly wonder how people can claim an antivirus is better than another unless you've caught THAT many viruses to compare lol :p
Well for starters, its a matter of how much its gotten rid of when you first installed it. For me with Avast!, I had encountered a a trojan/worm and I was searching for a solution. My current antivirus program wasn't working so i discovered a new one that solved the problem that kept my computer from crashing. And I'm being honest, my computer was being shut down from this trojan. Now Avast! did what the other programs couldn't and gotten rid of the problem. THEN after my computer seemed to be running normally, I did a scan and it found other hidden files that were infected and were causing damage to my system without me noticing. So now that avast had taken care of my problems, the next stage of an Antivirus is to protect ur computer and to protect it from future danger, and thats exactly was Avast! did. So yes, I can tell which is better, and its from experience and comparison between programs. Overall the characteristics for a good antivirus is to clean your computer of ALL harmful trojans/viruses/worms and then keeping it that way.

Forever_Melody

Reaction score
Country
Canada
But how do you know Avast! doesn't detect one when another one will? Honestly the only way to truly compare is to have 3-4 different ones running and then see.

I can say this because my friend is a programmer and he's developed viruses and spywares before. There are sites where you can test to see against which firewalls & antiviruses your "creation" is effective or not. It's not a question of "which is better" so much as sometimes they just operate or behave differently. I mean, I know he made one that wasn't detected by some free and paying antiviruses yet the damn Windows antivirus got it. Problem much? or did Windows suddenly get a really good antivirus embedded into it and I wasn't aware?

Some antiviruses use signatures, others registry entries, others use behavioral patterns and some even use input/output filtering t determine if something is a virus. It's just a question of mechanics in terms of the antivirus vs a particular virus that's all.

Like I said, viruses aren't that much of a common trend anymore ANYWAYS.

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
But how do you know Avast! doesn't detect one when another one will? Honestly the only way to truly compare is to have 3-4 different ones running and then see.

I can say this because my friend is a programmer and he's developed viruses and spywares before. There are sites where you can test to see against which firewalls & antiviruses your "creation" is effective or not. It's not a question of "which is better" so much as sometimes they just operate or behave differently. I mean, I know he made one that wasn't detected by some free and paying antiviruses yet the damn Windows antivirus got it. Problem much? or did Windows suddenly get a really good antivirus embedded into it and I wasn't aware?

Some antiviruses use signatures, others registry entries, others use behavioral patterns and some even use input/output filtering t determine if something is a virus. It's just a question of mechanics in terms of the antivirus vs a particular virus that's all.

Like I said, viruses aren't that much of a common trend anymore ANYWAYS.
Your right that Virus's aren't the main threat, its mostly Trojans/Worms/Spyware/Malware. But yea, I have a friend in the computer field as well, who works with repairing comps and he is also learning to be a penetration tester. This is a person whose job is to test the level of security a system holds. So his future job will be going around to check a systems defense against threats, finding the systems flaws, and then fixing them. Through his experience, he has tested several Antivirus programs in order to check what is the best defense. You are right that you may need multiple programs, but usually its best to have ONE major one for your defense and others for support. From his experience, he has found several computer that were in peril, which had many antivirus programs installed on it, and he would install avast! which would find the problem that these several programs missed and he would fix them. Now, there are cases where he needs to go more indepth than installing an antivirus program and he actually needs to manually hunt down the problem himself, but through his experience he has claimed Avast to be the best. Taking his advice, I myself have used this program with a series of other and have experienced some of the best computer protection I've ever had. See your saying how certain viruses work, but the thing is, if the program covers all these types then your good ^___^. Right now, from his and my experience of trying different programs, Avast! has shown to be the best one.

Forever_Melody

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh I'm not arguing that. Avast is a good antivirus, but IMO they're close to the same thing in general. A few slips here and there will mostly be because of the mechanics of a certain virus when pitted against a given antivirus' methods rather than the strength of each.

Btw Avast doesn't load behavioral patterns I can confirm this much. Only 2 antiviruses I know actually do that. It's a new technology and it's quite annoying and somewhat long to implement correctly, but offers some of the best protection.

For the record Trojans and Worms are both types of viruses. Spywares are another type of issue and the most common ones these days.

As I've said before, the best protection against viruses is knowing what you're doing. Probably around 80-90% of viral infections happen because you as the user did something to initiate it(open an unknown email attachment, clicked a link, downloaded something etc). Rare are the cases where someone voluntarily goes to forcefully implant a virus into your system.

The antivirus only serves once the infection happens, but prevention is better than treatment.

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
O I know knowing what your doing helps, and prevention is that best. And thats a reason why I likve Avast! as well because of the On Access Scanner that will actually alert you if you are entering a harmful site. Another program I use is Spybot Search and Destroy which has an Immunization tool in which it protects your computer from harmful sites before hand by building up a database for your browser of these certain sites. As well the key to a great program is one the has updates often which means the people who make the program are staying on top of new types of threats on the internet. I know that during that Conflicker virus scare in April, Avast! updated itself 3 times in one day just to stay on top of this. So you are right, prevention is the key. The matter is getting rid of problems and keeping your computers from having problems, which is what I've been saying all along.

sindergi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hi all....
According to me, each Anti virus program is good if you regularly update it because by that it gets latest definition about virus...
That´s true - and the best Anti-virus-thing is still .....just dont go to this adultXXX-sites or so. If you dont to things like that every Virus-Program is good enough.

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Have tried almost every available anitvirus suite. The lists contains Avast, AVG, Norton, Symantec, Avira, Mcafee, so on. Gave each AV few weeks before I passed my judgment. I went through various problems like virus messing up my system to AV slowing down my PC. After almost months of experimentation, I was finally able to find the best one for me and its none other than Kaspersky. I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) for more than year and I think its the best out there. Takes reasonable system resources and the protection is excellent. I am person who downloads various stuff, a lot, and even after several months I never had one virus infection on my PC. Nothing gets passed it. Even IT section at my organization switched to Kaspersky few months back. Our network in office was a mess but now it didn't have a single case of virus messing up the system. So I have my faith in KIS. Do try it.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a free firewall? I had Zone Alarm until it had a panic attack, couldn't connect to the internet, kept trying, and ground my computer to a halt. Something that doesn't direct me here before I can download would be best :3

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still using Zone Alarm and its all good :thumbs I'm sad to hear that its been playing around with you Mr. Sama :s Well, you might want to check out Comodo, Agnitum or Outpost Firewall Pro??? Not much of a computer tech wizard but those are some suggestions..there's plenty of review centres and guides online to check out what one is best for you :thumbs

It all depends if you want a free version or you want to go Pro with it :XD

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd recommend Comodo. Its quite good and its free although I don't use it myself anymore. I just stick with Avast Antivirus whish also has an on access scanner so for me to have Comodo on as well with it is just overkill. My Avast and Spybot Search and Destroy combo seems to go a long way so I don't need comodo but if you are specifically looking for a firewall then I say you get that one ;).

Uzumaki_10

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I recommend Karspersky 2010, he is complete, good scans for PC, good updates and nice system ;)

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh~

To paraphrase a certain "green onion alien", I got to say Avast!

Avast is enough for me.

Reference - here

Proud member of the Avast free club since 199? :p

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same here, Avast is the one! "all my family use Avast!", I've been trying to find the internet security one online but not to much avail.