Mag Talk - Bessatsu Shonen Magazine | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Negative Syndicate

BetsuMag's second anniversary was in September, and two years is typically the earliest a manga gets an anime (or live action) adaption. Any series that began in issue 1 are ready to be adapted. Sankarea and Shingeki already have adaptions in the work, both debuted in issue 1. Joshiraku also debuted in issue 1 so it is primed for an anime too. Hard to say how much media attention a magazine gets but now is the time BetsuMag would start getting anime attention for the first time. And it is fertile ground for adaption, a quality magazine with plenty of titles that lend themselves to anime.

I wonder when Animal Kingdom and Countrouble will get anime. Both seem like they would be very popular among anime fans.
I know that a series usually gets anime or other media on around 2 years, but I'm bit surprised even very unknown series will also getting media attention. But, I guess the anime studios don't really care about its tank sales being high or low, except for Shonen Jump.

I hope Doubutsu no Kuni to get an anime-adaptation soon since its tank sales is starting to get ranked on Top 50 (not 30).

TXC

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Besides shingeki is there any other series licensed (in english)?

Estranho

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yes. Besides Shigeki no Kyojin, we have:
- Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil), that will be released by Vertical in May 2012;
- Doubutsu no Kuni (Animal Land), in publication by Kodansha and;
- Mardock Scramble also in publication by Kodansha.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I know that a series usually gets anime or other media on around 2 years, but I'm bit surprised even very unknown series will also getting media attention. But, I guess the anime studios don't really care about its tank sales being high or low, except for Shonen Jump.

I hope Doubutsu no Kuni to get an anime-adaptation soon since its tank sales is starting to get ranked on Top 50 (not 30).
As I mentioned in the Jump TOC thread, popularity has nothing to do with what manga are licensed and what manga are not. It would be completely ludicrous to think that the Oricon charts are some sort of beauty contest or cattle call; charting manga are not weighed, inspected, compared, or judged. Failure to chart does not drive away all suitors. Studio's license titles that fit their style of animation and that they think will appeal to their audience. Some look for more popular titles, others look for specific styles. For those of us online, without insight into corporate board rooms and ledgers, the Oricon charts are a handy way to have some real idea about a manga's popularity in Japan. Some additional insights can be gleaned, but nothing more than an educated guess and often not even that. The Oricon charts are not a divination tool, used to determine what will next have an anime, or to understand why a title went without an anime at all. Those insights simply will not be found there and simply looking at the number of less popular, lower selling series that are adapted every quarter should be proof enough of that. I hope that this ends all confusion as I hope to never hear about the subject again. Any lingering doubts can be soothed by looking back at how many of these less popular series have been adapted over the years. And how many thrived as anime, driving their under performing manga counterparts into the Oricon promised land.

Sales does not seem to effect what Jump comics are adapted either. Neuro did not sell particularly well by Jump standards and it was adapted into an anime. Psyren and Mx0 sold a little better yet were never licensed. Beelzebub and Medaka sell within the same range and yet they were adapted. Hatsukoi Ltd was only a modest seller yet licensed after it ended. While it is little more than speculation, it is more likely that studio's are scared away by consistently poor TOC rankings than they are by low sales. Even then there seems to be exceptions. So again we come back to the same conclusion: studio's license Jump comics that they believe can be marketed as anime, with only marginal interest in sales.

Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

As I mentioned in the Jump TOC thread, popularity has nothing to do with what manga are licensed and what manga are not. It would be completely ludicrous to think that the Oricon charts are some sort of beauty contest or cattle call; charting manga are not weighed, inspected, compared, or judged. Failure to chart does not drive away all suitors. Studio's license titles that fit their style of animation and that they think will appeal to their audience. Some look for more popular titles, others look for specific styles. For those of us online, without insight into corporate board rooms and ledgers, the Oricon charts are a handy way to have some real idea about a manga's popularity in Japan. Some additional insights can be gleaned, but nothing more than an educated guess and often not even that. The Oricon charts are not a divination tool, used to determine what will next have an anime, or to understand why a title went without an anime at all. Those insights simply will not be found there and simply looking at the number of less popular, lower selling series that are adapted every quarter should be proof enough of that. I hope that this ends all confusion as I hope to never hear about the subject again. Any lingering doubts can be soothed by looking back at how many of these less popular series have been adapted over the years. And how many thrived as anime, driving their under performing manga counterparts into the Oricon promised land.
First of all, I didn't said anything about the low tank sale are not considered to get anime; I'm not still against on low popularity equals no anime-adaptation. I'm saying that only Jump is considered on tank sale for whether it'll get anime-adaptation or not.

Sales does not seem to effect what Jump comics are adapted either. Neuro did not sell particularly well by Jump standards and it was adapted into an anime. Psyren and Mx0 sold a little better yet were never licensed. Beelzebub and Medaka sell within the same range and yet they were adapted. Hatsukoi Ltd was only a modest seller yet licensed after it ended. While it is little more than speculation, it is more likely that studio's are scared away by consistently poor TOC rankings than they are by low sales. Even then there seems to be exceptions. So again we come back to the same conclusion: studio's license Jump comics that they believe can be marketed as anime, with only marginal interest in sales.
Secondly, I'm talking about a series that doesn't even make into Oricon top 30, like Muhyo. I don't consider Neuro as low tank sale because it regularly makes into top 30. Only series that don't regularly ranked in even top 50 are considered low tank sales.

Furthermore, Beelzebub's and Medaka's tank sale are much higher than Psyren and Mx0.

Also, did you read about what I posted in Jump thread? Because it is sound like you didn't read it.

And we can talk about this issue in Jump thread because we're kind of start talking Jump again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
First let's get our facts straight before making bold claims about Shueisha business policy: Oricon did not track manga until the the last week of March, 2008. As Muhyo was canceled before the first ever Oricon top 30, I find it very difficult to believe failure to chart was the reason it failed to get an anime. In actual fact, Muhyo did chart, three weeks after serialization ended volume 17 debuted at number 27. This is the first volume that could have charted, as the Oricon top 30 did not exist for prior volumes. Volume 17 obviously did not sell that well, what with the recent cancellation but did make the lower reaches of the chart anyway, selling about 30,000 copies. Neuro sold a hefty 44,000 the same week, still a paltry sum by Jump standards. Ironically, Neuro's anime would debut that weekend as Jump did see some merit in licensing one of it's lowest selling titles. We do not know what Neuro sold before, like Muhyo there is no public data. And we certainly do not know what Muhyo sold in 2006-2007, the time period it was most likely to have received an anime. What we can say for sure is that it sold enough to last four years, a relatively long time for Jump. And we can not use the top 30 to differentiate Neuro from Muhyo as Oricon did not chart manga until the month that Neuro went on the air. Sorry to be off topic but it is just a flat out, unapologetic lie that Muhyo's lack of an anime had anything to do with sales or the Oricon 30. Nor does it have anything to do with Mx0 and Psyren, both of which out sold Neuro, a series that did get an anime.

Negative Syndicate

There going to be another AKB-related manga going to start in Kodansha; this time, it is in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine.

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone heard anything on Choujin Gakuen?

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Choujin Gakuen and Doubutsu no Kuni are my favorite series from Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. I hope they get an anime someday, but i never saw Choujin Gakuen in the Oricon's top 50.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The first volume of Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil), an excellent manga, went on sale today in the U.S. and Canada.

Rejuvenation

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first volume of Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil), an excellent manga, went on sale today in the U.S. and Canada.
I just read it over the weekend and its been an interesting piece of work. I'm actually surprised its being sold in the West so soon but I'll likely pick up a copy.

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I just read it over the weekend and its been an interesting piece of work. I'm actually surprised its being sold in the West so soon but I'll likely pick up a copy.
Also only vertical could bring something so ''strange'' to the west :) I have it ordered.

HalcyonDigest

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well Kodansha owns part of Vertical so I imagine they will begin licencing some the titles that other publishers aren't too keen on localizing. I was also looking through the list of series they've licensed and I literally had to double check because I could not believe they actually brought Litchi Hikari Club for western audiences.

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
ending? anime? Because I can't see it going much longer.

I would like a anime, covering all the manga. It would be depressing to watch though (if well done).

Last edited:

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want a Choujin Gakuen anime when will there be one?

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Aku no Hana has sold decently. And I think it's licensed in the US. I could see it happening.
I should catch up on that series.

Galactic Tomahawk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The last chapter I read also seemed like it was heading towards a conclusion, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was ending.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Doubutsu no Kuni may end in the near future, too. But it's hard to tell with that series. I really need to get back into Editing it.