Best Death/Saddest Moment | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Death/Saddest Moment

The Best Death/Saddest Moment is...?

• Meryem and Komugi's death

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • Kushina and Minato's death

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Jiraiya's death

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Maes Hughe's death

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Merry Go viking's funeral

Votes: 35 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hmmm...this is a tough choice...

Meruem and Komugi's death was just touching, and done in an interesting way, which speaks of originality...so I definitely liked it...but the "sad" factor just wasn't there...same with Jiraiya's death...

The other 3 though did manage to reach out to me though...Going Merry's funeral was very touching, Oda manages to draw some pretty expressive sad faces, and the dialogue was great...

Kushina's last words for Naruto were really well done, the reader believes in the situation...no wonder since the entire arc has a woman's touch on it...

But Maes Hughes' death and funeral was just "stunning" in its sadness, considering everything that revolved around it...Maes Hughes it is for me

crimsonlink310

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Meryem and Komugi's death for me since I love HXH. Plus OP and FMA nominations are old so it doesn't have that much of an impact anymore. Surprised Ace's death wasn't nominated instead.

Jiraiya's death was pretty sad but again a bit old. Kushina and Minato is pretty new but still it didn't effect me in a meaningful way like Meryem and Komugi's death.

kdowns

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Meryem and Komugi's death for me since I love HXH. Plus OP and FMA nominations are old so it doesn't have that much of an impact anymore. Surprised Ace's death wasn't nominated instead.

Jiraiya's death was pretty sad but again a bit old. Kushina and Minato is pretty new but still it didn't effect me in a meaningful way like Meryem and Komugi's death.

I don't think "Old" should be a valid argument. I've read FMA about 10 times through and Hughes' death still hits me hard every single time even though I know it's coming.

Hughes' is were my vote is going.

crimsonlink310

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think "Old" should be a valid argument. I've read FMA about 10 times through and Hughes' death still hits me hard every single time even though I know it's coming.

Hughes' is were my vote is going.
Well obviously nostalgia keeps you attached to that death. ;) It really was a good death but it wasn't a best death so to say, very sad moment though.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I would go with Jiraya's death. It was shocking and manly. He was a great character until the end. I was practically crying, when he passed away.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That was a tough choice,but in the end my vote went to Meryem's and Komugi's death.Seriously,Togashi made me shed a tear or two for one of the most terrible,cruel and montrous villain in manga-history,who indirectly caused the current miserable state of our beloved protagonist, and a secondary female character we barely knew,despite this long-ass hiatus.Not only was it extremely touching,it was just as brilliant artistically.

The rest managed to bring tears to my eyes as well,but in comparison to Togashi's fantastic writing,they shine in a dull light.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm ok with 3 choices among the 5. The two from Naruto are not doing it for me: the death of the old master (so stereoptycal) & the needed death of characters known to be dead.

Among the 3 choices, It's a close call for me. But I gave my vote to HxH again

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Jiraya was awesome, but his dead just wasn't that epic for me. Minato and Kushina... we knew they would die, and being the main characters parents, it was obvious it would be heroic. But it didn't feel that special for me.

Now Maes Hughes' death hurt. He was loveable character. The good always die ;-;

Going Merrys viking funeral. I FRICKING CRIED FOR A FICTIONAL SHIP! SERIOUS!

King and Komugi. Is my vote. This was so well written and executed. There have been a few occasion were I have been moved to almost tears with just pictures. But Togashi did it with just bubbles and one panel. And this was just a huge finale for King's character developement. A character I absolutely hated in the beginning, ended having even a bit of symphaty from my end. And Komugi was so sincere it hard not to like her.

meeedoooz

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
kushina and minato's death was the saddest moment in manga history ... not the death it self so one may say " we knew they were dead from the start" but the way they died and kushina's last words to naruto...

there is no moment as sad as this or as epic as this

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany
kushina and minato's death was the saddest moment in manga history ... not the death it self so one may say " we knew they were dead from the start" but the way they died and kushina's last words to naruto...

there is no moment as sad as this or as epic as this
Guess you haven't read HunterxHunter then.I do admit that Kushina's last words were very touching and the whole situation was rather epic and stuff,but in comparison to what Togashi accomplished with those few speech bubbles and black panels,Kishimoto's writing fades into average.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I guess you have to be a big Naruto fan to use such definitive statements :-)
Well I'm not, so I may be a little biased and I didn't like the I'm dead but i can still speak to you setting. Anyway I'm easily moved, even by the most used tropped and Naruto parents deaths did me nothing.
So definitively not THE saddest moment in manga history.
Between HxH and One piece, i choose Merry. Man do I cry when I read this. The king was really well done but I guess a lack of empathy to the character do not help to reach Merry's level

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I guess you have to be a big Naruto fan to use such definitive statements :-)
Well I'm not, so I may be a little biased and I didn't like the I'm dead but i can still speak to you setting. Anyway I'm easily moved, even by the most used tropped and Naruto parents deaths did me nothing.
So definitively not THE saddest moment in manga history.
Between HxH and One piece, i choose Merry. Man do I cry when I read this. The king was really well done but I guess a lack of empathy to the character do not help to reach Merry's level
That's what amazed me actually.Despite this lack of empathy,Togashi managed to move me to this extent.It's easy to make one cry for a beloved character you constantly see in the manga,but doing what Togashi did proofs brilliant writing.At least that's how I feel.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I know but although it is well made, I didn't had the emotion necessary for such an award when I read the chapter for the first time.
After rereading and discussing, I understand how it is well made and beautiful but it is missing the sincerity of the first read.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Togashi killed the ants in a very interesting way. The one who was the most crude (Pitou) was killed in the same way. Changed Gon completely in a way I couldn't believe. Pufu was was someone very smart and charismatic and died alone surrounded bu his slave who did nothing to help him and after losing the mind game with the king. Yupi was beaten by something He couldn't touch and the King surrendered by humanity. It's so poetic, in a complete sense, that I can't vote for anything but that.

zozo96

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
The deaths in HxH were too surreal for me. I just couldn't grasp the intensity.

Jiraiya's and Naruto parents' death were told in great touche' moments and matched up the whole plot of the story.

I have to admit, Maes Hughes' death was devastating in scale of sadness. It even escalated the already high level of FMA. I did feel bad for him and his family.

All were sad, but why didn't I shed tears for them? Instead, I cried reading a sinking of a boat! Why? Because the author had set background stories for that scene in such subtle and subliminal manners (in a good way) that I could see myself in Merry's boots at some moments in my life. To love without being noticed until the very end. To have desire so great and honorable, but have to pass it on. Going Merry is not a mere boat. She resembles us in one way and another.

Eloah

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
She Komugi, the blind girl - He, the King Meryem whose name means the light shining on everthing, they both have no sight at all in the end, which leads to the black panel and only bubles of texting. It's so simple that it created huge impact on me.
The rest 4, they are kinda forgettable.

zozo96

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hxh surreal? And yo say that being killed due a demon fox coming out of you while you're pregnant is not? REALLY?
Lol. You misunderstood me. In shounen mangas, it is normal sometimes things get really unreal, over exaggerated, or illogical for better word. Now, surreal, that's another category. I didn't mean it for all-negative meaning regarding HxH. Hell, that's kinda compliment. Sorry if you get offended by that. It's only I found myself confused reading HxH time to time that I just couldn't grasp the feeling you guys might had. That's why I didn't feel sad at all.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Lol. You misunderstood me. In shounen mangas, it is normal sometimes things get really unreal, over exaggerated, or illogical for better word. Now, surreal, that's another category. I didn't mean it for all-negative meaning regarding HxH. Hell, that's kinda compliment. Sorry if you get offended by that. It's only I found myself confused reading HxH time to time that I just couldn't grasp the feeling you guys might had. That's why I didn't feel sad at all.
Don't worry I was not offended at all and it was meant with an humorous tone. I always talk like that, for future references when I may be modding your ass.

And I know what you mean but the pick of the word and that being used as an argument was a bit weird. And sometimes people confuse for the lack of faces when there is an emotive dialogue but it's why I think Togashi nailed it. He made two characters blong, shared that feeling with the reader and still being able to maintain at full intensity the deaths of both characters which I REPEAT they were not even the favorites (And as a fact, top 5 most hated ones) and generate full empathy.

zozo96

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Don't worry I was not offended at all and it was meant with an humorous tone. I always talk like that, for future references when I may be modding your ass.

And I know what you mean but the pick of the word and that being used as an argument was a bit weird. And sometimes people confuse for the lack of faces when there is an emotive dialogue but it's why I think Togashi nailed it. He made two characters blong, shared that feeling with the reader and still being able to maintain at full intensity the deaths of both characters which I REPEAT they were not even the favorites (And as a fact, top 5 most hated ones) and generate full empathy.
Then give me another word to describe the weirdness of that scene! I chose 'surreal'. Do you have another one better?

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

We are talking about the saddest moment. I'm fully agree that there are some holy-cow chemistry between Komugi and Maryem. However, it is like, totally out of the world, even the world of HxH. May be Togashi sensei was in trance or something when he was drawing that part. I'm not an art or psychology person. Judge me all you want. You think that is some sad moment. I myself don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.