Best Male Supporting Character | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Male Supporting Character

Best Male Supporting Character

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Male Support Character Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Male Supporting Character Category.

Total "Votes" = 63

1. L Lawliet from Death Note with 17 "votes"
2. Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist with 6 “votes”
3. Hiruma Youichi from Eyeshield 21 with 4 “votes”
4. Black Star from Soul Eater with 3 “votes”
5. Askeladd from Vinland Saga with 3 “votes”

Kanda yuu from D. Gray Man with 2 “votes”
Gaara from Naruto with 2 “votes”
Roronoa Zoro from One Piece with 2 “votes”
Vegeta from Dragon Ball with 2 “votes”
Kyouya Ootori from Ouran High School Host Club with 2 “votes”
Inspector Heinrich Runge from Monster with 1 “vote”
Wolfgang Grimmer from Monster with 1 “vote”
Niizuma Eiji from Bakuman with 1 “vote”
Akito ‘Shugi’ Takagi from Bakuman with 1 “vote”
Gauche Suede from Tegami Bachi with 1 “vote”
Nagumo Souichirou from The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer with 1 “vote”
Shichiro Ougi from Kekkaishi with 1 “vote”
Rock Lee from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Kakashi from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Thorkell from Vinland Saga with 1 “vote”
Uryu Ishida from Bleach with 1 “vote”
Pierrot Bolneze from Yakitate Japan with 1 “vote”
Killua from Hunter x Hunter with 1 “vote”
Furuichi from Beelzebub with 1 “vote”
Norman Burg from Big O with 1 “vote”
Itagaki Manabu from Hajime no Ippo with 1 “vote”
Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho with 1 “vote
Yuuki Tenpouin from Code: Breaker with 1 “vote”
Sakuragi Rokurouta from Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin with 1 “vote”
Yaichi from House of Five Leaves with 1 “vote”

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

L Lawliet from Death Note

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Awesome contestants in this category, all of them.

I voted for Askeladd, he is just charming. I love how his character is built. He is cunning, strong, funny and all-around awesome.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
He indeed is an awesome character. Yet I think that L deserves a lot of praise as well, he made Death Note what it was to me and is one of the most likeable characters ever to me.

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I had a hard time choosing for this one. Like Ustegius said those are some pretty damn fine contestants. It came down to Askeladd and Hiruma for me. (I love L but I still won't view him as a supporting character, therefore I simply can't give him a vote in this category.)
In the end I picked You-nii because I reread ES21 just recently and he was just such a FUCKING charismatic evil genius with a great concept and captivating character and personality traits.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hard to chose between L , Askeladd & Hiruma.

Hiruma is possibly the best character out of a sports manga. Extremely funny, smart, evil looks ... he got it all.

I was tempted to gave the vote to Askeladd even without knowing vinland saga well enough. The "plot-twist" concerning Askeladd was almost good enough to make me vote for him.

But I just can't put someone above L. He is like no other character. And at moments, it's even hard to consider him as a mere supporting character.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
But I just can't put someone above L. He is like no other character. And at moments, it's even hard to consider him as a mere supporting character.
I do respect your opinion but I never understood why he's so hyped. Sure he's a great character but for some reasons I never really liked him that much, maybe because he picked his cases just for pure entertainment or curiosity. Even in Light's case it looked like he just wanted to "win" and didn't take the case because he wanted the murders to be stopped. My reason could be a bit harsh but that's what I think.

I absolutely support Ustegius with his vote for Askeladd, I couldn't agree more.

Amida

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do respect your opinion but I never understood why he's so hyped. Sure he's a great character but for some reasons I never really liked him that much, maybe because he picked his cases just for pure entertainment or curiosity. Even in Light's case it looked like he just wanted to "win" and didn't take the case because he wanted the murders to be stopped. My reason could be a bit harsh but that's what I think.

I absolutely support Ustegius with his vote for Askeladd, I couldn't agree more.

L's appeal to some (myself included) is because of the fact he took the case not for some moral reason, but because he was a genius who merely wanted to "win" against someone. He wasn't a hero, and he wasn't a villain. He was a mercenary, though not many think of him as such.

GomuGomu_Getsuga

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had to give it to mah boy Kuro Hoshi. I didn't expect to see him on the list to be honest. I didn't think many people were into Soul Eater.

predsfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had to vote for Hiruma (he's got some pictures...) mainly because he is just full of awesome. Black Star is also full of awesome, but just not as much as Hiruma. As for L and Mustang, I only made through 3 volumes of each of those manga before dropping them, so needless to say, they don't really appeal to me.

Hystzen

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
was between 2

L- imo is the main hero not support
Death note was poor after Ls death..the 2 newcomers where dull.near was just a L clone so dont get why they killed L i nearly dropped Death note because of it

Roy Mustang- great character never sure if he hated ed or liked him..there clashes of morals and his fight with lust and devout protection of the men in his unit. Roy gets vote to me out this poll

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I voted for L in Death Note.

I based my vote on literally what the category is: best supporting (of the main/lead characters) character. This doesn't say anything about it having to be positive supporting, so whether it's positive or negative support, if the character is the most supporting, that's who I voted for.

So, that means L, as he's so directly tied with Light "Kira" Yagami. What's more supporting then a nemisis, hehe. Especially an intellectual nemisis, battling it out with their wits.

Unfortunately, I don't know (Eyeshield 21: Hiruma Youichi) and (Vinland Saga: Askeladd), so I had to omit these in my consideration.

As for Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist, he's a huge indirect support for Ed+Al and the story's plot itself (a pivotable character for the "good side", for the humans), but he's nothing like L is, as L is so direct and undeniably the best male supporting character out of the 3 total I am able to consider, imo. He's too distant and "working behind the scenes" to be the best male supporting character, imo again.

As for (Soul Eater: Black Star), he's even less involved then Roy Mustang is, mainly due to the type of story and plot scheme of Soul Eater, compared to Roy in Fullmetal Alchemist. For the most part the Soul Eater characters are "duos" (Mister and their Soul Weapon), and yes, Soul+Maka and Black Star+Tsubuki? and Death the Kid+Thompson sister twins do work together, it's more merely as a tactical team, then more intimate and close relationships, compared to Roy+Ed+Al, and especially Light+L (especially getting literally handcuffed together, hehe).

Last edited:

Amida

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of people here mentioned they lost interest in Death Note when...
L died. And right after that there needed to a successor. Why? Because without L, Death Note would not be near as interesting as it was. He was a supporting role. He was introduced after Kira, and the story is mainly told from Kira's point of view (it follows him more than L, etc). L is needed in Death Note far more than most of these characters (omitting Vinland because I haven't read it). I would say that makes him "best", because without him the story would be quite boring, and to some it ended up boring after his death. I personally found it amazing...and riveting. It stands up to stuff in The Canon you read as English majors in college (yes there are comic classes, and the series has to pass through a committee). I'm waiting for that to happen with Death Note...

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I didn't lose interest in Death Note after that certain incident, because the fight became a bit more complex then it was before a one on one between L and Kira...but still L's entire character, from gestures to intellect, character design is appealing even if he is freaky at first...
I liked his continuous overdose of sugar:p

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I didn't lose interest in Death Note after that certain incident, because the fight became a bit more complex then it was before a one on one between L and Kira...but still L's entire character, from gestures to intellect, character design is appealing even if he is freaky at first...
I liked his continuous overdose of sugar:p
I liked the combi Near + Melo even more than L. Near is like the light side of L & Melo is like the dark side of L.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Personally, I wouldn't really consider L a supporting character, even if what happened did happen that hearalded the appearance of Near and Melo. He was the backbone of the story alongside Light himself for the entire first half or so of Death Note. I did feel the quality of Death Note went down after that first half. L was memorable, but like Prince-san, I don't quite see him as a supporting character, so my vote does not go to him.

Instead, I stood by my own nomination and voted for Mustang. Right after the Elric brothers themselves, Mustang is the next most important protagonist of the story. He is the one who sets the Elrics on the entire journey after Ed was dejected and depressed, who convinced him to reach out for their goal and fight for it even if they had to swim across a muddy river for it (I remember him saying something along these lines). I like his character very much. I like how he stands by his beliefs and his comrades, will never leave anyone behind, and is so much more than his cocky appearance shows. Plus, his alchemic ability is great and it's always funny to see his interactions with Riza (especially when in the rain and his gloves get wet~), and even his relationship with Hughes.

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I'm going with the flame alchemist on this one.
I won't like Mustang if he's the main character in the manga but I adore him as the supporting, more than L. L may be smart, a genius even but Roy is not about to lose to him, he have his brains and tactics. To be honest, without him planning most of the things out, Ed&El will be fighting a losing battle. L didn't have much character development as Mustang the way I see it. I guess one of the reason is because he died halfway. But Roy have developed quite alot throughout the series. He have a dream of becoming the Fuhrer, and his own story of hatred towards envy, a interesting backstory and he even have a group of well written characters under him. One of the biggest characteristic he had was that he never let the blindness got to him! None of this did L show throughout Death Note, but I guess it's because that is how the story is s'pose to be in DN.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I liked the combi Near + Melo even more than L. Near is like the light side of L & Melo is like the dark side of L.
They even admitted it...while both had the brains and intellect, Near was slightly over Mell, while Mello had more mobility...

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Even if L might be considered as more important than an ordinary minor character, he's still in the list, and the best made character of it deserves to win. Which imo really is L (followed by Askeladd).
He's such a funny, likeable, crazy, intelligent guy, even the way he holds a phone makes me laugh :D

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Askeladd easily gets this one.He is a round character and a great one at that.He feels so incredibly real,but what actually makes him the best supporting character is that he had a huge impact on the protagonist's and other's life.A truly remarkable character.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Male Support Character Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Male Supporting Character Category.

Total "Votes" = 63

1. L Lawliet from Death Note with 17 "votes"
2. Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist with 6 “votes”
3. Hiruma Youichi from Eyeshield 21 with 4 “votes”
4. Black Star from Soul Eater with 3 “votes”
5. Askeladd from Vinland Saga with 3 “votes”

Kanda yuu from D. Gray Man with 2 “votes”
Gaara from Naruto with 2 “votes”
Roronoa Zoro from One Piece with 2 “votes”
Vegeta from Dragon Ball with 2 “votes”
Kyouya Ootori from Ouran High School Host Club with 2 “votes”
Inspector Heinrich Runge from Monster with 1 “vote”
Wolfgang Grimmer from Monster with 1 “vote”
Niizuma Eiji from Bakuman with 1 “vote”
Akito ‘Shugi’ Takagi from Bakuman with 1 “vote”
Gauche Suede from Tegami Bachi with 1 “vote”
Nagumo Souichirou from The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer with 1 “vote”
Shichiro Ougi from Kekkaishi with 1 “vote”
Rock Lee from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Kakashi from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Thorkell from Vinland Saga with 1 “vote”
Uryu Ishida from Bleach with 1 “vote”
Pierrot Bolneze from Yakitate Japan with 1 “vote”
Killua from Hunter x Hunter with 1 “vote”
Furuichi from Beelzebub with 1 “vote”
Norman Burg from Big O with 1 “vote”
Itagaki Manabu from Hajime no Ippo with 1 “vote”
Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho with 1 “vote
Yuuki Tenpouin from Code: Breaker with 1 “vote”
Sakuragi Rokurouta from Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin with 1 “vote”
Yaichi from House of Five Leaves with 1 “vote”

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]: