Best Shounen Manga | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Shounen Manga

Best Shounen Manga

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Why, hello there fellow manga fans! Most of you should know the Manga Awards we held few days ago! You nominated, you voted, and now you've waited! Presenting to yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, the best shounen manga! But before we go and do that, let's look at the nominations and see which one of those made the cut!

We've had Naruto, Death Note, One Piece, Psyren, Fullmetal Alchemist, Tegami Bachi, Kekkaishi, Shingeki no Kyojin, Hajime no Ippo, Muhyo to Roujie, Hunter x Hunter, Nurarihyon no Mago, D. Gray-Man, Soul Eater, Eyeshield 21, Yu Yu Hakusho, Guyver, Pandora Hearts, I''s, and Slam Dunk as our popular nominations! Lot of manga, am I right?! About fifty-nine to sixty people participated in the nomination round!

However, only the five most nominated manga can go forward, sadly enough. Rest assured, I'm sure many people tried out the recommended manga, so your efforts were not wasted! Some nomination utterly and horribly beat other nominations and left them in the dust!

One Piece lead the pack with twenty-one votes! Twenty-one votes! Like, seriously... this is pitting Michael Jordan in his prime against a team of five-year old kids in basketball! Fullmetal Alchemist came in second place with eleven votes, ten vote difference from One Piece! And before you accuse us, no we didn't fudge with the results at all. I'm sure more preferred FMA over OP. AAAAAAAAAANYWAYS, with nine votes came Naruto in third place! Followed by four votes apiece were Death Note and Psyren! Those five manga made it to the finals, and it was there you voted for the ultimate manga!

You all wondered what to vote for, saw the pros and cons in your view in each manga you read, and felt bad you couldn't judge the manga you didn't read! Some of you closed your eyes and pointed randomly and voted for whatever you pointed at! Whichever, however, whatever, whyever way you voted, you voted! The results are here!

But first, since I like to tease you members, here are some stuff on the nominated manga! The titles link to info page on Manga Updates while in the spoilers are the pics of the manga. For the images, click if you want a bigger view. I found this was better than having rudely let the pics stretch the whole thing out.

One Piece

Fullmetal Alchemist

[url=http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=15]Naruto

Death Note

Psyren

Words from our sponsor! Hey, it's a dog-eat-dog world, we need money too. <_<

Have you been looking for a good shoujo where the story's actually good, the girl's shy, and the guy's not an aggressive bastard, but shy as well? Have you been looking for comedy? Romantic comedy with slice of life? Do you like sidekicks that add something to the manga and add humor? Well, have we got the manga for you! Kimi ni Todoke! It's a great manga and recommended by many manga fans such as yourself! Still not enough reasons? No worries, the following pic should be enough reason!

You reading Kimi ni Todoke will make Sawako smile like that! Don't you want to see her smile her amazing smile?!

Aaaand weeeeeee'reeee baaaaaaaaaaaack! The moment you've been waiting for! The moment you've anticipated! The best shounen manga you have voted for! The winner iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis, ONE PIECE! Majority of members and STAR (Manga Editors, translators, artists, and reviewers) have voted for One Piece! However, majority of staff (mods, globalmods, and admins) have voted for Fullmetal Alchemist. This is proof that voting isn't rigged or anything! =D

Once again, the winner is,

:confetti One Piece! :confetti

And for you guys, we'll even include pictures of OP epicness! I like Robin and Nami, so as long as they, Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Usopp are included, I don't care about the rest. I did find some with full cast just for you members! Thanks to those who helped make the first ever Manga Awards a success! You truly are why MangaHelpers is a great place to be and why it's great! Hope to see you next time! Bye! :bye

(Didn't even notice it was fanart until way later, but it's good. Plus, Nami's chest. :>)

Last edited by a moderator:

Castriota

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
one piece has captivated my attention from the beginning and hasn't let up since unlike some others on this list. crazy that psyren is on this list over bleach as well but psyren did have a short burst of awesomeness before it was hated on. fma and death note were both amazing in their own ways but one piece has not let up and has just kept you wanting for more week after week after week.

CBlitz

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
*sigh*

we all know OP will actually win this but I disagree! Although its great, its still not as good as FMA! The latter has better characters, cast and general plot (even if it is fairly cliche'd towards the end). What makes it better though is simply the way its executed, which is absolutely masterful IMO. While its lacking in the art department, it trumps OP in almost every other regard! :yelling

GOOOO FMA

Hystzen

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
FMA is the best shounen to date.

best cast
better artwork
best plot
best end

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Honestly, this is a terribly difficult choice for me. I love both One Piece and FMA to bits and pieces. I am confident that either of them will win this. But when it comes to choosing between them, I'll say this - One Piece, as an adventure and everything else that it is, is an excellent shounen. I would say that perhaps FMA with its darker themes, might verge a little more to perhaps the seinen side. Both are excellent manga, both are very different.

With FMA's greater ability to touch and impart life lessons, and conversely OP's greater ability (in general! FMA has illicited more than enough laughs from me) to entertain in the way a shounen - mind you Shounen is supposed to be aimed at young teenage boys - should, I would vote FMA for Best Overall, and vote One Piece for Best Shounen.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I voted for Naruto.

Naruto is more epic or "Grandier" than Death Note or Fullmetal Alchemist.

Unfortunately, I don't know Psyren at all, and as for One Piece, it's awesome, but I've only briefly looked at it. (I wanna read+watch it, but oh do I dread it, lol. soo... long...)

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
As much as I love One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist will always be my favorite manga. Intelligent, complex manga with perfectly drawn action scenes are hard to come by. OP is brilliant but it didn't get my vote.

Ruro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
While I love OP, the choice is definitely FMA.

The series has an over all different tone than the other choices on here. Morals are more straight across, and it manages to have series tones without going overboard. It manages to work well while being in a world with specific rules and limitations.

It's true that OP is more like a typical shounen, but FMA is still in the category, so it's my pick.

street_san

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Tough, but for the same reasons I've give in the best manga overall, my choice go to One Piece :)

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Part II is the main reason why Naruto didn't get my vote. Even Minato and Kakashi Gaiden weren't enough to make up for the lackluster Part II.

I liked Fullmetal Alchemist, and it was good, but it's not as good as people say it is. Probably because I'm used to shounens now after having have read Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and One Piece amongst other shounens (I think), so FMA wasn't as different. It, like Yu Yu Hakusho, is a pretty advanced shounen/fighting manga though, though to be honest, it's on a higher level than YYH.

Psyren was good, but the ending fight between the real villain and Ageha was not that good. Epic fight could have been had.

I chose One Piece because unlike Naruto, it constantly kept me entertained, not just in certain parts. Fullmetal Alchemist has you thinking more than One Piece, it's darker and more mature, but both have great humor, but One Piece takes the cake because it made me want to keep reading. Both have great casts, though arguably FMA is better due to characters that we've seen have had profound effect on the plot and the brothers.

Naruto's cast was good, but in Part II most are useless. OP actually has most of the cast members that are important, whereas FMA has like, 99% at the very least who are important.

Plus, I find Nami and Robin to be hot. They're smart and awesome! One Piece also had few dark tones though not much compared to FMA.

So out of the list, it was a choice between FMA and OP, and I went with my famous method to decide which one, as well as pointing out its pros and cons IN MY POINT OF VIEW BEFORE YOU GUYS DEFEND/BASH THE MANGA/S.

Ahem.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
4 of the finalists were obvious. I'm a little surprised that bleach didn't make it. I think It's still the third most popular manga worldwide. But well, bleach is simply not the same since the "Hueco Muldo" arc.

I'm also a little disappointed by the absence of Hunter X Hunter. But if I'm not wrong, HxH is not present in any category. The chaotic release process probably killed all hope for this manga.

I still don't know what Psyren is doing here. IMO, the abrupt ending is earning Psyren a lot of pity votes. I can easily conceive people who put this manga in their top-10 (or even top-5) ... but THE best shounen ? I simply don't understand.

Naruto has the same problem as bleach: it's simply not the same as before. I doubt there are many people who like 'part 2' as much as 'part 1'.

I already gave my opinion about FMA, One piece & Death Note in the "best manga overall" category. And so, I gave my vote to one piece.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have to admit that I did not read Psyren and Fullmetal Alchemist, yet my vote went to Death Note - perhaps because it's less typical and more serious for a Shonen than a manga like Naruto and OP (and partially because I expect Psyren and FMA to be a little more like these two). It's a vote for a Shonen from outside the Shonen category so to say.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Voted for FMA, even though naruto is my favorite. Because i know the difference between 'best' and 'favorite' lol.

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
What i know of FMA is what i saw in anime episodes, i saw the all 50 episodes in few time but althought i like it it didnt give me the feeling that what i just saw was lendary. but i cant even talk about this cuz this is about manga and i dont know if the anime is close to the manga or if it is much worse than it so ......

the only mangas that i read currently and that i have ever read is Naruto and One Piece.

Although in the best manga overall i choosed Naruto in this one going to choose One Piece just cuz i think Naruto will not get it and i would prefer much more seeing OP winning than FMA.

But dont get me wrong i also choose OP cuz it is simply brillaint , its is funny and also as a very good history , cant wait for more :)

Last edited:

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
the only mangas that i read currently and that i have ever read is Naruto and One Piece.
When there is a category for which I only know 1 or 2 choices out of 5, I simply don't vote. I think it would be unfair but that's just me ... I know you're not the only one but every vote for either one piece or naruto ... we try to elect the best, not the most popular (we already know that Naruto , one piece & Bleach are the 3 most popular mangas).

The goal of those mangahelpers awards is also to make people discover mangas.

NB: And for information, the manga FMA is different from the anime, the beginning is the same but the second half is completely different.

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Fma: Brotherhood is the one that is faithful to the original manga. If it was a war arakawa-sensei wanted to pick against other ppl to see who does better with the same universe, she won it in a gorgeous fashion.

Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think FMA and OP are both at the same level,but i will vote for FMA,simply because it is complete.OP has the advantage that nearly everything is still a secret,so it can still dissapoint big time,whereas FMA revealed all its secrets and it did not dissapoint,not at all.It had a very satisfying end,which i have yet to see in OP.

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
I go with Death Note. this manga is very versatile in terms of age rating. yes, it is shonen but would anybody tell me at least one reason why it would not qualify as seinen? it's dark, psychological, complicated. for me, the main gist of the manga was that, basically, reader couldn't go with standard thinking: "hey that's the badguy, he needs to die and good guy must win!" just as
the world in Death Note was divided between supporters of Kira and those that opposed him, so were the readers of the manga: some thought from the very beginning that Light was wrong, others claimed he was ok to do that in the beginning until he started offing innocent cops. even others, the hardcores, claimed that Light was right to the very end and each and every one of those readers had their reasons: specific, justified reasons. (I believe the only moment you could truly hate Light was on his father's deathbad)
maybe I'm not all too fair, but now that FMA is over I don't really care for it or think of it much (still voted Olivier as best support female :p). I know the same will be with Naruto, Bleach, Vinland Saga, Durarara, etc. but after I finished Death Note, there was time when I would go back to some specific moment and start thinking: hey, what if this hadn't happened? what if that happened? what if Misa ever realized something? what if Rem had thought more in long-term and hadn't done what she did? what if... what if...? and so on and so forth! Death Note had a great lasting effect on me, or rather... has had a great lasting effect on me :)

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I go with Death Note. this manga is very versatile in terms of age rating. yes, it is shonen but would anybody tell me at least one reason why it would not qualify as seinen? it's dark, psychological, complicated. for me, the main gist of the manga was that, basically, reader couldn't go with standard thinking: "hey that's the badguy, he needs to die and good guy must win!" just as
the world in Death Note was divided between supporters of Kira and those that opposed him, so were the readers of the manga: some thought from the very beginning that Light was wrong, others claimed he was ok to do that in the beginning until he started offing innocent cops. even others, the hardcores, claimed that Light was right to the very end and each and every one of those readers had their reasons: specific, justified reasons. (I believe the only moment you could truly hate Light was on his father's deathbad)
Yeah that's what I ment when I said that I kinda voted for it from outsides the Shonen category, it really exceeds the more common Shonen manga by a certain margin in many areas imo.

And it had an undeniable success and international recognition as well, on international level exceeding FMA and OP even afaik.

Reactions: AlB

salam-daim

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I love FMA, but I voted one piece
because it's manga in shonen jump, with all Pressure for a manga in shonen jump, it still a high standing manga.